Right Through The Cracks

I found the photos I took of the branch that came down that cost me $800 to have removed from my property. It was about 40 feet long.View attachment 74886View attachment 74887

where it had been attached to the tree.

View attachment 74885
What really matters with a tree limb that's fallen is the "diameter of the trunk". We've cut up so many 12-14" diameter big branches its silly. Showed your pics to my husband... he has cut up lots bigger than this. Of course they probably also had to stack it, chew it up and/or haul it away, right?

Of course they probably also had to stack it, chew it up and/or haul it away, right?
Of course, what would I do with it otherwise? He brought in his chipper. It looked much larger in person that it does in the photo. I thought I could deal with it and went out with a handsaw. After sawing 10 minutes and getting hot and OOB and only getting about 3 inches into the wood, I gave up and called a tree guy. The same one I am trying to get now and he stood me up twice.

My niece lives near Buffalo. She has 10 Acres, and wanted to clear some trees out. She contacted an area Amish community and they actually paid HER to chop the trees and take the wood, for lumber. Of course, what goes around, comes around for them. She wanted to build a new garage and hired them for the job. I was out the other day and they were out working. They have done a great job. Since she lives too far for them to come by carriage, with all their gear, they hire a driver who brings them out.

Of course, what would I do with it otherwise? He brought in his chipper. It looked much larger in person that it does in the photo. I thought I could deal with it and went out with a handsaw. After sawing 10 minutes and getting hot and OOB and only getting about 3 inches into the wood, I gave up and called a tree guy. The same one I am trying to get now and he stood me up twice.
Yeah, a hand saw sure won't do it. We've got a trusty little electric chainsaw and gave the big gas one to our groundsman to use when needed. With that said, we have two trees - and I mean big ones - that need to come down and one half tree on the ground that needs to be cut up. They don't need to do anything except push them a few yards into the bottom land though. That's a big help. Gotta do what you gotta do with trees. Love 'em until you gotta "cut 'em".

My niece lives near Buffalo. She has 10 Acres, and wanted to clear some trees out. She contacted an area Amish community and they actually paid HER to chop the trees and take the wood, for lumber. Of course, what goes around, comes around for them. She wanted to build a new garage and hired them for the job. I was out the other day and they were out working. They have done a great job. Since she lives too far for them to come by carriage, with all their gear, they hire a driver who brings them out.
Now that's great Marie...we came from Ohio - a lot of Amish there, too. None in Texas, darnit...lol.

He did bring his cherry picker and cut off the broken branch that was still attached to the tree, and his chipper, and two "helpers" that stood around and watched.
That's often the issue with trees...they have to climb up with ropes and cut the branches off or as in your case, use equipment. As far as the two "helpers" that stood around and watched, must have been company hired relatives...lol.

As far as the two "helpers" that stood around and watched, must have been company hired relatives...lol.
I still have to pay for their time. Years ago, I had a plumber come to fix a leak in the bathroom sink drain. He determined he needed his helper and called him. Then we waited an hour for the helper to arrive. Meanwhile I am paying two guys for an hour of work (they charge time even for driving) and nothing is getting done. When the helper finally showed up, he just stood around and watched the first guy. The tree guys reminded me of this.

I still have to pay for their time. Years ago, I had a plumber come to fix a leak in the bathroom sink drain. He determined he needed his helper and called him. Then we waited an hour for the helper to arrive. Meanwhile I am paying two guys for an hour of work (they charge time even for driving) and nothing is getting done. When the helper finally showed up, he just stood around and watched the first guy. The tree guys reminded me of this.
We must be very lucky with our workmen. In all the years we've never had an issue. Thanks for telling me, deb. I'll keep making cookies for them, only throw in some extras from now on!

I did a search there and with the criteria I chose, it came up with two places. One I already looked at and it's a dreary holding tank for people waiting to die. The other is too far away. I'd prefer to stay in the locale with which I am familiar. That is the crux of my whining - the places I can afford are just a 200 sq ft box and the nicer places are out of my price range. I'd like to still come out ahead at the end of the month.
So sorry you find yourself in this situation Deb!

I had another roofer that actually showed up and at the time he promised. However, he said he never puts anything on paper (i.e. written contract) and he only accepts cash. This has me a little wary of a handyman that doesn't want any paper trail.

I found the photos I took of the branch that came down that cost me $800 to have removed from my property. It was about 40 feet long.

where it had been attached to the tree.

When I still had my house, I liked to do some tree trimming on occasion. But I found out quickly that what you think you are about to cut and what is actually up there are two very different things. Very deceiving to the eye! ... When I was stuck with a bad situation once, I was lucky enough to get baled out by a neighbor. Never again .. 😜 Always let the pros do it!

I had another roofer that actually showed up and at the time he promised. However, he said he never puts anything on paper (i.e. written contract) and he only accepts cash. This has me a little wary of a handyman that doesn't want any paper trail.
Guess its ok if you pay him "after the work is done". Probably flying under the tax radar. What about insurance in case he would get hurt or "whatever".

Yea, it is bad, bad.
My house looks like one of those hoarder homes on tv. If something falls in the floor it stays there.
We thought aging might effect our cognitive ability, not a lot of emphasize on our physical ability.
Now its a race to the bathroom, using two canes results in 'didn't make it in time.'
Oh well, I have a washer: Grrrr

Deb I'm going to ask you like I used to ask my husband..."where do you FIND these people?!" I still remember the fiasco with your tax preparer. Don't let desperation cause you to deal with someone who doesn't want to put anything "on paper"! There is something very wrong with that picture. I hope you do follow the points made and advice others have given.

Back