Same community forum, different choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same with me 🤣.
I am pretty new here and I have yet to discover so many other sections as well.
I enjoy very much this forum so far. I find the people to be very helpful, cordial and many have a great sense of humor!
I like very much the fact that it is an international forum. I welcome all opinions and all people.

I have a few stray thoughts and they stray from one topic to another. :)

There is a lot of information here. I dipped into the threads that seem to be daily when I first came. A new one was started and that has been easy for me to get into as a new member.

I've spent a lot of time reading the old retirement living threads. I've learned a lot. Lots of people seem to have moved on that were posting in the old threads. There have been a couple of very helpful new threads on that topic, as well.

I'm not so much into Zoom but I think it's a wonderful idea for those that are. I attended a couple of in-person gatherings of Internet groups years ago and they were a lot of fun. I recommend having one for those that can attend.

Brilliant!

My only recommendation is that we all try to stay relevant when it comes to current events and topics so we can converse with "younger" people (e.g. 50's) that choose to enter the forum. Many of us are from the Silent and Baby Boomer generations. The GenXers are rapidly becoming seniors, and it will be necessary for them to find a good home on SF as we have. We can't afford to sit back and say "it was much better then". We always like to reminisce, but we also need to accept and address the changes taking place in our world.
I like what you said here, seadoug. There are many people here that are younger than I am and some older. I would guess there is more than a 30 year age span on this forum. There is a big cultural difference between the boomers and the older generation, not just here but in general. Things will change on this forum, even if it's only what is talked about and how it is talked about. There's no use to resist that. Time marches on. It doesn't have to mean that older people are pushed out but it should mean that new ideas are added, IMO.

To me, being one of the older posters here, belonging to a community means a lot to me. The wife and I are getting out less because of some physical problems and this neighborhood of different streets has filled in that gap. I truly enjoy, and read most all posts but do not respond to a lot of them. If you haven’t already figured it out…I enjoy trying to get a smile out of you because of the things I post. My intentions are never to offend or upset anyone.

It’s just great to have a place, probably too much time on, to enjoy people’s discussions from all over the world and learn some thing new every day…WHEW..enough already. Just had to say it. Pappy.

This forum is, at its core, a gathering of people. Though it’s virtual, it’s no different than any other group whether that group is as small as your church or as large as a nation. A group is a group, period, no
Matters size and because it is, it follows the natural laws and rules and percentages of any group.

So yeah, in any group you’re going to find a small percentage of psychos, depression prone folks, someone mentioned class clowns, you’ll find bullies and bossy folks and know it all’s and idiots. It’s just the way it is no matter the group or its purpose or its size.

You’ll also find a far greater majority or people, humorous folks, gentle and compassionate and accepting people.

But there will always be a smattering, a small percentage of the negative folks because at the end of the day, a group is simply a microcosm, a slice of the macrocosm.

I am pretty new here and I have yet to discover so many other sections as well.
I enjoy very much this forum so far. I find the people to be very helpful, cordial and many have a great sense of humor!
I like very much the fact that it is an international forum. I welcome all opinions and all people.
We like the pretty new people to realize all this community has to offer.
The sense of humor is international, and you sometimes have to pause before you get your smiley face on. My humor included in this!

I appreciate this community. I also think it would be a bit boring if you didn't have the occasional dust up.
True. We are all from different backgrounds and experiences. This affects our outlook and opinions. Something which needs to be borne in mind before judging people.
Some of us will have lived their entire lives in one neighbourhood, knowing only the same few people. Others are well-travelled, and have experienced living in other countries. Our approach to life is bound to be affected by this.

But there will always be a smattering, a small percentage of the negative folks because at the end of the day, a group is simply a microcosm, a slice of the macrocosm.
20 years ago a friend said "there are so many weird people in forums on the internet". I only answered "the net is just a mirror of the people outside". On the other hand I did not know which forums he meant. SF is a community of really nice people.

I also like the analogy of the forums as a community of neighborhoods. As you negotiate the different streets, you may encounter Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, or perhaps Pee-Wee Herman in your travels! They are all worth a visit.

For my part, I have long considered forums as a smorgasbord with many different types of food. Many are tasty, some are bland, and others just too spicy! You don’t want to eat too much or mix too many types, or you may get indigestion or heartburn. So eat wisely and selectively, and keep Goldilocks out of the porridge! 😸

Last edited:
20 years ago a friend said "there are so many weird people in forums on the internet". I only answered "the net is just a mirror of the people outside". On the other hand I did not know which forums he meant. SF is a community of really nice people.
This site seems to attract a greater mix of people than other sites. There is one which I dip in and out of (and I know I'm not the only one from here), but there are rarely any interesting topics. Plus the admins are a bit zealous and don't encourage anyone to have views which are too radical. It stifles honesty, because you feel you are pussy-footing around the mods all the time.

I visit a variety of neighborhoods here just now and then, depends on my
mood or interests for that day. Sort of like when I am at the mall window
browsing, at times things catch my interest, other times they don't, but
I have to browse in order to know that...

Let me say to each one of you who posted here, I have enjoyed the comments immensely. It shows that we each contribute, read, and digest certain threads and issues that take our interest. The rest we often don't participate in, but we are aware there are different avenues of thoughts.
What a nice community! 💓

Most online forums will have 'hiccups' in the overall mood of it's forum and members,
sort of great and other times perhaps not so great . At those times maybe take a breather
of a few days and get refreshed before posting again, I dunno, just my thoughts. I do though
like it here, and although I poke around on two other sites, and also a poetry site and medical
health site, Seniorforums I drop in daily and post, or just read, If I feel any annoyance about
anything going on in the forum or with the members, I just chill out a few minutes or longer
and carry on lol ;) I find taking time to reflect is good for me, then come back and at it once
again. What a great place though, entertaining, fun, such an wide range of topics and such very
interesting members, once I find my nitch, I sort of hang around near that nitch, while meanwhile
exploring other parts of this forum. Have a great day you all ~

Most online forums will have 'hiccups' in the overall mood of it's forum and members,
sort of great and other times perhaps not so great . At those times maybe take a breather
of a few days and get refreshed before posting again, I dunno, just my thoughts. I do though
like it here, and although I poke around on two other sites,
------------------------------------------------
I agree with all you have said, including taking a breather for a day or two. I've just done that. I wander to a couple other forums, and understand what you've noticed about hiccups. Spot on.

Do the right thing, say the right thing, integrity is plus, forums are so filled
with many interesting things and topics, always something for everyone to
participate in or enjoy if they choose. Choose wisely though~

I liken this forum to viewing a small community with hundreds of residents in that community.

There are streets connecting different neighborhoods; some older, rougher neighborhoods, some tougher corners with a few scruffy fighters hang out, then more peaceful and quiet neighborhoods where neighbors wave to each other when cleaning flower beds or taking out the garbage. Wander to yet another neighborhood where younger folks attend baseball games and foot races.

In life, we gravitate to spaces where we feel comfortable, welcomed, and share experiences and difference of opinions without expecting others to bend to our will or agree consistently with us. The same should be felt here. One or two people do not have to start every acceptable thread here. We have choices. We shouldn't cower, stifle our thoughts at the risk of snarky remarks, and be made to feel like outcasts.

Many threads about a certain topic make visiting within our neighborhoods more amiable.
Your thoughts? Please share ideas to make this a better community as a whole.
This seems a good time to repost this thread and this message.

I have noticed that new threads often get started by the very same posters who dwell on the sad and sensational news almost every day. Only pointing out the bad news, then pointing out those terrible folks making the news.....shows the personalities of these OP.

I also notice that the good news posts and threads started here daily are most often brought to our attention by the more positive and less judgmental members.

It is our choice which threads we gravitate towards. This also speaks of our individual positive or negative outlooks toward life in general.

Just something to ponder and contemplate.

This seems a good time to repost this thread and this message.

I have noticed that new threads often get started by the very same posters who dwell on the sad and sensational news almost every day. Only pointing out the bad news, then pointing out those terrible folks making the news.....shows the personalities of these OP.

I also notice that the good news posts and threads started here daily are most often brought to our attention by the more positive and less judgmental members.

It is our choice which threads we gravitate towards. This also speaks of our individual positive or negative outlooks toward life in general.

Great thread.

There's no stopping people who choose to continually report and dwell on the saddest and most sensational news. They thrive on it and the attention it brings them. There are also people who enjoy reading and responding to those threads. If you don't like that kind of topic, the only thing you can do is stop supporting those threads by not responding to them. The less attention given to them, the better.

I'd rather spend my time responding to threads that help people and uplift them.

I dunno. Some people you might think are posting "negative" things may just need to share with others so that they might feel a little better. Maybe they're alone. Maybe they have no one else to share with. I would hate to suppress that kind of thing, to make it so that one can't share what one wants to because it won't be cool according to the dictates of whoever.

Pfft. I'm too old for that.

I dunno. Some people you might think are posting "negative" things may just need to share with others so that they might feel a little better. Maybe they're alone. Maybe they have no one else to share with. I would hate to suppress that kind of thing, to make it so that one can't share what one wants to because it won't be cool according to the dictates of whoever.

Pfft. I'm too old for that.

I'm not talking about posting and sharing personal troubles, Devi. We're all here to listen and help with them if we can. That's what friends do.

I'm talking about the sensational news headlines that are posted most days. I didn't say people shouldn't post them. I said that if you don't like that kind of topic, the only thing you can do is stop supporting those threads by not responding to them. ;)

I'm not talking about posting and sharing personal troubles, Devi. We're all here to listen and help with them if we can. That's what friends do.

I'm talking about the sensational news headlines that are posted most days. I didn't say people shouldn't post them. I said that if you don't like that kind of topic, the only thing you can do is stop supporting those threads by not responding to them. ;)
Thanks. Actually, I was not responding to your post; sorry if I gave that impression.

I was responding to @RightNow's.
Added: post #44 above.

well very often they are simple a repitition of a whole variety of news items on various news channels which most of us would have seen - but maybe the poster is asking questions really about the topic that they don't understand or would like clarification. It is almost impossible to read the minds of all the members here heh?? nice thread whoever started it!! - see I'm confused already!! and we're not on the news items yet|!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back