Same community forum, different choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I want to thank everyone for their honest input regarding the nature of neighborhoods in this forum.
So many posts, so helpful to give a glimpse into your different personalities for those who may wander to this thread in the future.
What I love about these North American forums is the diversity of the folk using them and in general the lack of argument in posting. Some are well-educated and well-off, others have very little. The one below stuck in my mind all these years, so far removed from older British female posters who have it all, yet never stop moaning. I think it starts at post 12? 19 being the main post.

https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/ina-is-in-the-hot-seat.20825/

I am not a big time poster and rarely begin a thread. For some reason, I find it difficult to discuss very much about myself in various arenas. I am not referring to my personal problems as I don't find it's anything I want to share with strangers, but rather, my reactions to many topics. As for my life's experiences, well, most are not in league with most of the posters on here due to the generational gaps. However, I find that exploring the different avenues and will often respond to several.

Right Now, this is a terrific thread inasmuch as the feedback is extremely telling. Thank you for posting it.

Why are we poking fun of Benzodiazepines and people on them? šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Note: Iā€™m not actually looking for an answer. Just making a statement
Sorry, you have totally lost me, regardless that I have been involved for fifty years with people suffering from iatrogenic benzodiazepine tranquilliser addiction, including myself.

I liken this forum to viewing a small community with hundreds of residents in that community.

There are streets connecting different neighborhoods; some older, rougher neighborhoods, some tougher corners with a few scruffy fighters hang out, then more peaceful and quiet neighborhoods where neighbors wave to each other when cleaning flower beds or taking out the garbage. Wander to yet another neighborhood where younger folks attend baseball games and foot races.

In life, we gravitate to spaces where we feel comfortable, welcomed, and share experiences and difference of opinions without expecting others to bend to our will or agree consistently with us. The same should be felt here. One or two people do not have to start every acceptable thread here. We have choices. We shouldn't cower, stifle our thoughts at the risk of snarky remarks, and be made to feel like outcasts.

Many threads about a certain topic make visiting within our neighborhoods more amiable.
Your thoughts? Please share ideas to make this a better community as a whole.
I want my neighborhood to be diverse but at least mostly like minded.
I don't mind the cranky pants down the road but I'd prefer not to have a drug dealer.
You can hang your various flags and I welcome that they're not all the same.
I hope you wave when I walk by but if you'd rather not be bothered it's ok.
Just be a good neighbor. Be careful and watch out for each other.

Sorry, you have totally lost me, regardless that I have been involved for fifty years with people suffering from iatrogenic benzodiazepine tranquilliser addiction, including myself.
Earlier you and davey, were poking fun of each other with regards to using Benzos. Your reply was that it was ok since you are his only friend. The posts got deleted, (not due to me) but you both came back with similar posts.

Your situation maybe different from others who take this medication. Its true that the medication is very addictive and great that you got off it and were able to help others get off it but not everyone who takes this drug is in the same category as you.

Your back and forth posts to davey about benzos are belittling to those suffering with mental illness who may ā€˜needā€™ to take them.

As we age, most of our real worldā€™s shrink. Itā€™s wonderful to have an easy opportunity to ā€œmingleā€ with a peer group. I love hearing ideas and opinions of others even if they differ sharply from my own. Conversation here is different but can still be engaging / stimulating. Anything that keeps our brains alive and active has to be a good thing.

Earlier you and davey, were poking fun of each other with regards to using Benzos. Your reply was that it was ok since you are his only friend. The posts got deleted, (not due to me) but you both came back with similar posts.

Your situation maybe different from others who take this medication. Its true that the medication is very addictive and great that you got off it and were able to help others get off it but not everyone who takes this drug is in the same category as you.

Your back and forth posts to davey about benzos are belittling to those suffering with mental illness who may ā€˜needā€™ to take them.
Sorry, but your comments have no basis in fact. I have helped people with dependency for nearly 50 years and still remain dependent myself. As stated, I have watched my friends slowly die, dependent on the drugs. Indeed, it is a harrowing subject, but I do not make it my prisoner or my shame or taboo to mention when well intended. End of the day, this was another friend, would I make fun of him?

https://www.benzo.org.uk/peartbio.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back