Scared, Landlord Selling Building, Will Have To Move

Patnono

Looks like my landlords going to sell my building, I'm scared because I have a bankruptcy on my record. I had medical issues that I couldn't handle like alot of us Seniors. I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to find a place to live? I'm actually looking for a room to rent can't afford an apartment my kids have been helping me with the rent they'd be going Their way. Even with them they'll hold my bankruptcy against me? I've looked into Senior housing, there's a waiting list years long. At a lost of what to do? My siblings don't have room. Thanks for reading 😖

Isn’t there a social service or some type of government service that can help you out?
Here we have many types of free services that will help people of all ages.

Maybe look up social services for your area and contact them. Usually one service will refer you to other services that can help.

That’s where I would start. They might know of homes where older people are sharing living expenses etc.,

Thanks for replying, I have looked into rooms for rent. I live in California, even rent for a room is shockingly High. Someone ask for $700 to share a room??? I wrote them are You kidding? Other's are asking $1000,00 or more. I've stopped eating I'm so stressed. I can't help it, so upset. No surprise the government doesn't consider me in need. I only get a $1000,00 a month in Social Security. Their holding retirement money against Me. It's really Not alot, I guess they want me to be distitut/Homeless?

is the person buying the building renting out same as before?
may not even get a buyer...I hope that'll give you more time

I don't know? Usually the new owners would want to charge more because of the new mortgage their going to acquire,? My govenor sign a new rent control law which takes effect next Month. SOME landlords got greedy and brought this on themselves, there are good landlords out there, their going to pay for the others. My sister in One shot got her rent raised $500. My landlord has raised mine $200 then $100. I've lived here 20 years.

Some of the wait lists for subsidized SENIOR or disabled housing, will move someone to the top of their list , if they are in risk of being made homeless. I would check that possibility out. Also, the local area agencies on aging, are helpful with suggestions.

Last edited:
It's true section 8 housing does have waiting lists of years. Do you know who the new owners of your building will be? They might keep you as a tenant anyway despite your previous bankruptcy as long as you have been financially solvent since. I'd apply for subsidized housing asap as you never know what can happen and you seem to have no viable alternatives at present.

This site looks very helpful for your area. I’d start calling around. Also, aren’t there laws that prevent landlords from evicting tenants , like in the winter time? I’d start writing all these questions down in a notebook. You might be protected somehow.

https://www.coasc.org/

It might be the same site.

Some of the wait lists for subsidized SENIOR or disabled housing, will move someone to the top of their list , if they are in risk of being made homeless. I would check that possibility out. Also, the local area agencies on aging, are helpful with suggestions.
Interesting, didn't think about that possibility? Will look into it. Thanks

This site looks very helpful for your area. I’d start calling around. Also, aren’t there laws that prevent landlords from evicting tenants , like in the winter time? I’d start writing all these questions down in a notebook. You might be protected somehow.

https://www.coasc.org/

It might be the same site.

I don't believe they'd do that, they would expect me pay the rent increase that's usually how it works? My rent already alittle over $1600, can't afford any more. My health isn't good, Diabetes etc. I tried working at a couple of places, couldn't too physically demanding

You may have to consider the possibility of moving out of California, where costs of living are so high and housing is in short supply. Look at nearby states to see if you could find a better deal in one of them. I know you don't want to leave California, but moving away would be a lot better than sleeping on the streets.

You may have to consider the possibility of moving out of California, where costs of living are so high and housing is in short supply. Look at nearby states to see if you could find a better deal in one of them. I know you don't want to leave California, but moving away would be a lot better than sleeping on the streets.
You're right, I have looked into it, the problem will be my bankruptcy, I know some apartments allow cosigner's, then most won't. I'll just pray for a Miracle 🙏 thanks for writing 🙂

It's true section 8 housing does have waiting lists of years. Do you know who the new owners of your building will be? They might keep you as a tenant anyway despite your previous bankruptcy as long as you have been financially solvent since. I'd apply for subsidized housing asap as you never know what can happen and you seem to have no viable alternatives at present.
Thanks for writing, someone else gave me some interesting information that if a senior housing agency suspect a senior might become homeless that they might put them at the top of the list. I spoke to a senior friend of mine and believes that happened to her? She told them she didn't have anyplace else to go and got in pretty quick. Do I'll be looking into that possibility?

If I was faced with living under a bridge or moving to a cheaper place, I wouldn't be on my computer or on my knees praying for a miracle either. I'd be packing my suitcase and getting a ticket on Greyhound.

To where? I'm Not that position where I need to do that? Like someone else wrote, the new landlord might want to keep me as a tenant? I've been here 20 years, never late paying the rent or caused any problems for them. I'm thinking just in case. Pray Never hurts to do.

To where? I'm Not that position where I need to do that? Like someone else wrote, the new landlord might want to keep me as a tenant? I've been here 20 years, never late paying the rent or caused any problems for them. I'm thinking just in case. Pray Never hurts to do.

Sorry, I guess I mis-read your heading.

"Scared, Landlord Selling Building, Will Have To Move"

Should things go wrong for you is there a reason you wouldn't want to move?

Out of curiosity I've looked at places around the country & am amazed at the low cost to buy a home. In Penna. for example there is a 3 bedroom 1 bath home on over 2 acres of land for $39,000.00. With 20% down the monthly payments including property taxes could be as little as $300.00 a month.

Since you are on Soc. Sec. you have options about where to live.

You're always complaining about having money problems, yet you insist on staying and living in a very expensive state. You don't want solutions, you just like to complain. You can probably find cheaper lifestyles in states just across the border. If you just want to stay in CA because you want to live near family, ask them to take you in and live with them even if you have to pay rent to them. If you don't want advice, don't ask for advice and do things YOUR way or pray till kingdom come if you think prayers REALLY work.

Should things go wrong for you is there a reason you wouldn't want to move?

Out of curiosity I've looked at places around the country & am amazed at the low cost to buy a home. In Penna. for example there is a 3 bedroom 1 bath home on over 2 acres of land for $39,000.00. With 20% down the monthly payments including property taxes could be as little as $300.00 a month.

Since you are on Soc. Sec. you have options about where to live.

Thanks for writing, where is Penna? Never heard of it? I have looked at different places out of State. Don't want to buy can't afford to. El Paso, Texas which is where my dad's from, a 1 bedroom 1 bath is $445 per month. Texas is a No state taxes are charged

Thanks for writing, where is Penna? Never heard of it? I have looked at different places out of State. Don't want to buy can't afford to. El Paso, Texas which is where my dad's from, a 1 bedroom 1 bath is $445 per month. Texas is a No state taxes are charged

Penna. is the abbreviation for the state Pennsylvania. Others use Pa. as the abbreviation

You're always complaining about having money problems, yet you insist on staying and living in a very expensive state. You don't want solutions, you just like to complain. You can probably find cheaper lifestyles in states just across the border. If you just want to stay in CA because you want to live near family, ask them to take you in and live with them even if you have to pay rent to them. If you don't want advice, don't ask for advice and do things YOUR way or pray till kingdom come if you think prayers REALLY work.

You sound like an unhappy person who lack empathy for others? I'm Not complaining just stating my situation. People think if you "JUST" do this and do that is "JUST" that easy? If it where? No one would have problems? You don't know my background and what I'm up against? I'm sure you're Life isn't "Perfect". And you probably do your share of complaining?

Back