School children being trained to use life-saving bleed control kits

CPR and first aid training should be a requirement at some point in school. It's a practical skill for preparing for life.
Yes it should. And the fact is they will get to use it in way more other situations than an active shooter.

As a kid, the only thing I had to worry about was a nun with a ruler.
That and atomic bombs and tornados

Normally, when someone does a knife attack, it’s not just one stab, but many stabbings. I remember one case where we investigated a case of a prostitute that was stabbed 67 times. According to the coroner, the perpetrator broke the blade off of one knife and used a second knife. A lot of times when the stabber hits a bone, the blade will break off.

BTW, we did nab the murderer.

I think it's a great idea, teaching first aid. Puncture and slash injuries can occur other than in an attack. Crashing your bike, sliding down the side of trail, or doing stuff you aren't supposed to, climbing up the sides of drain pipes, bridges, etc. If the teacher frames it in that context, the kids could see how useful it may be.

When I was in Kindergarten, age 5, we were given instructions on what to do if you were on fire-- drop and roll, use a blanket to cover up yourself or another person. In fact more than once. We also had school wide assembly that had fireman talking about that and other fire safety stuff.

As for age 11 being too young, I'm not so sure about that. I have often been surprised by what adults find a horrific events and if the child wasn't involved "it's a guess what I saw today". Sept 11, 2001... comes foremost in my mind. Being 1500 miles away and the kids not having a personal connection several different kids in the neighborhood had that reaction that afternoon. They had gotten to see it on tv in school.

Interesting how a discussion (about teaching children first aid/ life saving techniques) can morph into a thinly disguised diatribe against the evil immigrants. Yikes, how many more problems are the immigrants responsible for?

Teaching people how to save lives in danger due to criminal activity, war and political fanaticism, mental illness, sports injuries, incompetent drivers, or God knows what else, has nothing to do with immigration. It's only "the elephant in the room" if you see that elephant everywhere!

Interesting how a discussion (about teaching children first aid/ life saving techniques) can morph into a thinly disguised diatribe against the evil immigrants. Yikes, how many more problems are the immigrants responsible for?

Teaching people how to save lives in danger due to criminal activity, war and political fanaticism, mental illness, sports injuries, incompetent drivers, or God knows what else, has nothing to do with immigration. It's only "the elephant in the room" if you see that elephant everywhere!
where's the diatribe thinly disguised or otherwise ?

Who said mental illness, political fanaticism ,. criminal activity , war, sports injuries , incompetent drivers ..are all immigrants. if that's what you're reading, you need to get new specs!

The fact remains whether you like it or not..in this country.. the vast majority of stabbings are between immigrant teens ...

That's not what Sunny said.

She said first aid could be required due to criminal activity, sports injuries, driving accidents etc etc - things that don't just happen to immigrants.

Who said mental illness, political fanaticism ,. criminal activity , war, sports injuries , incompetent drivers ..are all immigrants. if that's what you're reading, you need to get new specs!

This was your question along with a claim she needed new specs.

When in fact that wasn't what she said or what she was reading - she said those things happen to anyone ie the purpose of first aid training is not to do with immigrants.

This portion speaks to what good can come from teaching early on. Up until this portion the focus seems have been school related emergency situation.

Starting early at age 11 IMO is about right for kids grouped together to get this kind of information. Pre teens & teens saving lives are available to read about on the internet.

Posts about back in the day point out the difference between back in the day & now. Considering the growth in population the potential for providing aid in an emergency of some kind seems like a reasonable approach to minimizing a bad outcome.

Posts about back in the day point out the difference between back in the day & now. Considering the growth in population the potential for providing aid in an emergency of some kind seems like a reasonable approach to minimizing a bad outcome.
Particularly with a rapidly increasing gap in the police:civilians ratio. There's also the issue of more than enough cops in low-crime areas and not able to find one in high-crime areas.

Average police response time in my city's upper class neighborhoods is 2-3.5 minutes. You'll wait 15-45min in Sacramento's infamous South-Side, and that's for what they consider a violent crime...apparently, the definition is subjective.

In fact, to save money, Sac closed 4 of South-Side's police sub-stations, as well as several in other high-crime neighborhoods. Meanwhile, our beautiful upscale riverside communities still have all theirs. And I get it, the upscale areas get much more in tax revenue, but it's advantageous to the entire city to concentrate police protection where it's needed.

Particularly with a rapidly increasing gap in the police:civilians ratio. There's also the issue of more than enough cops in low-crime areas and not able to find one in high-crime areas.

Average police response time in my city's upper class neighborhoods is 2-3.5 minutes. You'll wait 15-45min in Sacramento's infamous South-Side, and that's for what they consider a violent crime...apparently, the definition is subjective.

In fact, to save money, Sac closed 4 of South-Side's police sub-stations, as well as several in other high-crime neighborhoods. Meanwhile, our beautiful upscale riverside communities still have all theirs. And I get it, the upscale areas get much more in tax revenue, but it's advantageous to the entire city to concentrate police protection where it's needed.
same with our police stations, closed down in their hundreds in the last few years. Many towns don't have a police station at all.

Thanks for trying, January. Obviously, you understood my point, which was that first aid and emergency response is a necessary subject to teach kids. Injuries are caused by all kinds of accidents and violence. This is unfortunately true in the U.S. and apparently also in England, and probably many other countries. It has absolutely nothing to do with "the elephant in the room," i.e. the immigrants, an easy target for demonization.

Here's a quote I agree with on the subject, written by Congressman Jamie Raskin: "America is not a great country in spite of immigrants - we are a great country because of immigrants. Immigrants are as essential to our present and our future as they have been to our history, and I am committed to standing against hatred, mistreatment, and scapegoating of immigrants while forging a bipartisan path to rebuild our broken system and provide meaningful pathways to lawful immigration."

I would add the following: In this country, practically everyone except the Native Americans is either an immigrant or descended from immigrants who came here from all over the world in the pretty recent past. (Or were barbarically dragged here as slaves). Most of the immigrants, from wherever they came, were escaping from desperate poverty or violence against them (or both). Same as now. They are not some evil cabal trying to ruin our countries. The overwhelming majority just want to have jobs, and to live in peace.

Thanks for trying, January. Obviously, you understood my point, which was that first aid and emergency response is a necessary subject to teach kids. Injuries are caused by all kinds of accidents and violence. This is unfortunately true in the U.S. and apparently also in England, and probably many other countries. It has absolutely nothing to do with "the elephant in the room," i.e. the immigrants, an easy target for demonization.

Here's a quote I agree with on the subject, written by Congressman Jamie Raskin: "America is not a great country in spite of immigrants - we are a great country because of immigrants. Immigrants are as essential to our present and our future as they have been to our history, and I am committed to standing against hatred, mistreatment, and scapegoating of immigrants while forging a bipartisan path to rebuild our broken system and provide meaningful pathways to lawful immigration."

I would add the following: In this country, practically everyone except the Native Americans is either an immigrant or descended from immigrants who came here from all over the world in the pretty recent past. (Or were barbarically dragged here as slaves). Most of the immigrants, from wherever they came, were escaping from desperate poverty or violence against them (or both). Same as now. They are not some evil cabal trying to ruin our countries. The overwhelming majority just want to have jobs, and to live in peace.

I agree @Sunny - first aid skills could be useful in a variety of situations - illness, accident as well as a knife attack.

The article I read made no mention of immigrants and I think it is sad that this has even been brought into the conversation. :(

Back