Senior, elderly, mature or other?

@81 until I read this I really didn't think much about a term to identify my age. I'll go with old or better yet 30 because teens consider 30 old so 30 it is with 51 years of experience.

other..."downhill" :)

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm 76 and no longer care about titles or words. I'm just happy to get through my day and find something cute to smile about. Anyway, I'm apparently, "invisible" to the younger generation. They don't see me but at the same time I don't see them.

Attachments

• Generation Gap.jpg
    Generation Gap.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Order on Line.jpg
    Order on Line.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 7
I find older or senior the least offensive.

Elderly and geriatric feel much more dismissive.

No matter how old I get, it's pretty clear I'll never be mature.
It doesn't matter to me which is used but I can see the validity of some terms being considered offensive. For instance, this is how one of my favorite writers, Susan Jacoby, feels about it (from her book Never Say Die: The Myth and Marketing of the New Old Age):

"Geriatrician William H. Thomas...[has said], 'Elders have long spoken for the Earth, its living creatures, and the children who are yet to be born...Let us consider those elders who have 'long spoken for Earth.' I guess Thomas isn’t talking about old men who made their fortunes from strip mining, logging, or dumping industrial waste into rivers and who are trying to hang on to every dollar they have acquired from despoiling the natural world."

I don't know how the world sees me but inside I feel a lot younger than I must appear. No one is surprised if I ask for a senior discount. They don't gasp and say "I would have never guessed you were a senior citizen" :LOL:. I don't take offense to anyone calling me ma'am, senior citizen, or mature.

Back