Senior Ladies Here Who Color Their Hair, What Product Do You Use?

I just do the roots which is quick and easy...the ends grab the color. I got a cosmetology license for fun..passed the state boards and everything in my 20's but failed to enjoy working in a beauty shop. It was helpful for my own needs and I only go to a shop for a trim.

The advice we were given about older ladies was go a shade or two lighter as you age..intense color is aging. The thing with makeup is less is more...but at least wear a little lipstick and keep your brows nice. Another thing is get your hair cut to flatter your face shape. I have an aunt who is 88 years old and has gone gray but she uses a rinse and she looks beautiful, seriously. You'd never guess she was that old...great skin too and a killer smile. I think women want to wear the same style from their youth sometimes but as you get older an updated or modified style can make a huge difference.

I use Benefit and Clinique cosmetics...as they don't break me out in allergy bumps.. I really have to be careful even with more high end makeup..I tried a new product a few months ago and my eyes nearly swelled shut.. I use an eyelash curler but cannot stand mascara anymore...my eyes are just too sensitive.

Another thing to be careful about. If your eyes don't work so good anymore and you attempt eye makeup. Put it on and blend, blend , blend then put on your spectacles and take a good look. I've seen so many women of a certain age who have attempted liner. The effect is clear lines cartoony around where they couldn't see. Joan Jett still looks sexy with raccoon eyes but it takes some doing. Real nice at 58!!!!!
th

Another thing to be careful about. If your eyes don't work so good anymore and you attempt eye makeup. Put it on and blend, blend , blend then put on your spectacles and take a good look. I've seen so many women of a certain age who have attempted liner. The effect is clear lines cartoony around where they couldn't see. Joan Jett still looks sexy with raccoon eyes but it takes some doing. Real nice at 58!!!!!
th

She does look amazing...good advice fur, and also DO use a mirror with good light and magnification..I like natural light when possible..omg..what looks good in the bathroom mirror may look sooo different in natural light.

Karen99 you are so right about gray hair to go lighter! Not only is dark hair harsh on an aging face but you can get a bit more time between blonde root touchups.

What I'd like to know is: where the heck did our eyebrows go?

What I'd like to know is: where the heck did our eyebrows go?

Went to a memorial service for a high school friend a few weeks ago and "the girls" and I were discussing this very thing! None of us have much in the way of eyebrows anymore! One gal gets hers dyed. I use a mascara-like product to darken mine-although my eyeglass frames pretty much cover them anyway...

My eyebrows are almost clear blonde...I have always looked for ways to find them. The best thing I came across recently. I think it's Maybelline. A brow kit...it comes with a two sided brush. The first coat is a lightly colored wax that grooms things. Then a powder that sets the color. Then there is a highlighter for your brow bone. Also a brush wand to blend. Beautiful results and easy to use.

My eyebrows are almost clear blonde...I have always looked for ways to find them. The best thing I came across recently. I think it's Maybelline. A brow kit...it comes with a two sided brush. The first coat is a lightly colored wax that grooms things. Then a powder that sets the color. Then there is a highlighter for your brow bone. Also a brush wand to blend. Beautiful results and easy to use.

That looks like a very cool kit..I've been using the Benefit ..called "BrownZings" for a few years..has the wax, tweezers, and powder. I have pretty decent brows so mostly I use the powder..but the wax is great for adding thickness. I will try Maybelline kit next time...so much more reasonable..long as it passes my allergy test. Thanks for posting this.

My brown hair started going grey when I was in my late 20's. Colored it myself for years, now I have the full meal deal, color and heavy highlights every three to four months and one all over color job in between. My older sister doesn't color her hair and I swear she looks 10 years older than she really is. I've asked my hair gals when one is too old to color ones hair and they've both told me it's a personal choice, older women should never have dark colors though, softer shades are good

I used different products to color my hair. I was using Loreal Platinum color but one day I couldn't get the powder in the developing solution and used it anyway and it ruined my hair. Then I went to Olia because it is powered with oils and the color came out bad. So then I went to Nice n Easy with the 3 shade colors. Decided to used Loreal Excellence the next time. Haven't used it yet. It's sitting on the bathroom sink waiting for me! I color my hair what my natural color was most of my life, a real light blonde. At about 35 it turned dark blonde or light brown. I didn't like how it looked so after awhile I decided to color it blonde and it makes me feel better to have it still blonde.

I knew this lady in my church when I was a kid. She had to be older than G-d. But black hair with a grey stripe down the middle.
th

Not a good look in so many ways

Mrs. R, before I switched to the more natural product, I really liked using Garnier Nutrisse, I think it was True Red/Pomegranate. That coloring makes your hair feel so good afterwards.

300.jpg

Curious-- changing hair from dark to blonde is so common and has been as long as I
remember. Know any women (not celebrities) who changed their natural blond hair to brunette?

Curious-- changing hair from dark to blonde is so common and has been as long as I
remember. Know any women (not celebrities) who changed their natural blond hair to brunette?
Yes I have. It doesn’t seem to happen often but it does happen. Some blondes dye their hair because they hate the ‘dumb blonde’ association .

I guess I should ask my hair dresser. Did they tell you that's the reason
they dyed their hair? A dumb reason! Does anyone think blondes are
less smart?
Yes they told me and from your response I can understand why. Lol 😆
I know my blonde friends get the stereotypical blonde jokes occasionally so perhaps it might threaten those who lack confidence in their intelligence.
I don’t know.
I’m not 👱‍♀️ blonde

I've only done a weave, and that was recently. I don't have much grey, but wish I had more. Seems I always want what I "don't" have ;) I loved the weave though, she just used bleach alone, and it turned out so fun!! You can't see from my pic, but it is about halfway grown out now. She did and good job because it doesn't show a distinct "line" I expected.

I was just thinking about it again this a.m. and would like to get another weave done now, but like keeping my hair longer as it's just, plain simpler for me ;)

I use a demi-permanent salon grade color (Redken Shades EQ cream) and mix three colors. As a formerly natural red-head who started silvering at 16, I got so frustrated through the years with professional colorists who couldn't get coppery red right. Then I realized that with minors in chemistry and art, I could figure out how to get exactly what I wanted. Took a few test swatches to get it. I feel stupid that it took so long for me to try!

Who knows.... I'm all silver in front.. and dark brown in the back. People have asked me is I have put that silver in purposely .. nope.. that's how nature decided it should be.

I like makeup and would color my hair if it was grey. But I am lucky enough to have a nice shade of silver which everyone thinks I color it.
Till 2 weeks ago i had long hair to my waste and hubby told me it was beautiful hair which is why I kept it long but women my age do not look good with long hair. So I cut it to my shoulders.
Nature also says no more mouth full of ' NATURAL' teeth but I go to the dentist and do have a couple crowns.
Sometimes 'natural' is not our friend. I won't ever be pretty again but I do want to be as presentable as possible.
She is 76 and I like to watch her put on makeup and hear her chats. Skip thru video if you like.

Back