Seniors, Do You Still Have Clocks With Hands In Your Home, or Are They All Digital?

I have two wall clocks with hands and a wind up alarm with hands I got at a house sale for old time's sake. I actually got tired of winding it so batteries must have spoiled me. The rest are digital. I find myself translating the digital time into positions of the hands in my head. That's how an old dog deals with new a trick.

We have both kinds but I haven't set my alarm in years. My dog gives me a face washing every morning at six. That started when I had to give my diabetic cat a shot at six. Nothing makes a dog more happy to get up than to go give the cat a shot!

I have two clocks with hands, but neither work; they're just decorative.
Several others are digital - on the stove, on the clock radio & on the two thermostats.
I just realized I also have no watches that aren't digital. Well, who needs a bunch of moving parts?

Last edited:
I prefer clocks with hands. It gives a sense of continuity. Digital makes it seem like there is no past or future. I have one clock on my stove and one wall clock that have hands. My wrist watch also has hands. The rest are digital.

We have some of both. My wristwatch is a Swiss made all-manual self winding watch. Many these days have a large (for a watch) capacitor that stores electricity (i.e. solar, self winding, etc.) for use when there is no sun (solar) or the watch is sitting for some time (self-winding). My watch is just like the "days of old" - all mechanical. It has an "analog" dial. I have had it for over 20 years and it has never stopped or otherwise caused me trouble.

Tony

Yes I have one clock that has hands but I don't like it because it's hard for me to see what the hands are doing on the background that it's on and I'm taking of getting a new one.

The rest of the clocks that I have are digital but oh yes I have one other one that looks like a little house and it's an alarm clock.

I have both kinds as well, but in the kitchen if I want to check the time I always instinctively prefer to look at the big, old fashioned clock on the wall rather than the digital clock on the stove. However, I also have the projection type clock that shines the time on my bedroom ceiling....it's digital and I really like it cos it's so convenient to know the time at night.

The only digital ones are on my Bose radio/CD players
The one on my living room wall is a 'retirement clock' which I bought 2yrs before I retired
The 2nd hand shows the days of the week,so whenever I can't remember what day it is,I look at it which I've done a few times over the yrs

All my clocks have hands....and are GPS Synchronized....
Don’t forget clocks go back next weekend 25th.....

My husband reminds me that "what's a clock" and "what's time" will be his new mantras as soon as he retires! LOL!

That can be an entire thread to discuss - time and managing it in retirement. I understand the sentiment, and at first, tried to live that way. Soon enough, I found that I needed structure or I would just sit around all day and waste away. While I can't say this should be true for everybody, since we all have different personalities and needs, I began to see time in the same way that I remember seeing the ocean at the beach when I was growing up - a vast, endless entity in which I could become completely lost.

Once I had that realization, I started setting up a framework for myself. At first, I made sure I got to bed at the same time every evening and got up at a certain time in the morning so I established sleep habits instead of staying up later and later, and then sleeping all day. The problem with that for me is that when I slept and woke, drifted all over the place, so I ended up being tired all the time.

Then, I started setting goals for myself in my hobbies so I was accomplishing things and working toward another milestone, however small. I began volunteer teaching ESL to adults through the public library system. Unfortunately, that is now on hold indefinitely until this COVID-19 situation is resolved somehow. I did get in several good years doing it prior to COVID-19 though. That ESL expanded to teaching math and basic computer skills so that Immigrant people could function in our society.

With the onset of COVID-19, I still do all the above except the volunteer teaching. Fortunately, for my wife and I, our hobbies do not rely on having to go out and mix with other people. So, though we miss doing that, our world has not collapsed into suffering in isolation.

Anyway, that is my story, and please realize that in telling it, I am not saying everybody should do likewise, but instead simply reflect and "take what you need and leave the rest".

Tony

I have had this one for years Roman Numerals pendulum and allclock.jpg. It's powered by battery however and I have replaced the digital unit twice. There's no way to fix something when it's digital and goes on the fritz. But the units are not that expensive. There used to be a clock repair guy in town and he repaired everything but he has retired. I loved going to his shop. It was like a journey in time. One feature in his shop was a life size cutout of Humphrey Bogart. He had it wired with a remote and a speaker and it would say "Play it again".
People used to rent it out for parties and pose with it. I have a picture of him with it and I'll find it and post it.

Have both all over the house.
Through the years, have come across young people and kids, and the odd adult.......cannot read a clock with hands. OMG. SERIOUSLY.
Ouch! In Ontario to pass the the seniors drivers test after you reach 80 years of age you have to draw a clock with the hands at 10 after 10.
It's suppose to test cognitive ability. Some people can't do it.
And we get a lecture from a very knowledgeable person who asks questions about driving and you don't get your license unless you have put up your hand at least once to answer the question.
The most frequent question people mistake is how to merge onto a highway.
Her advice was. If you are not comfortable in accellerating onto traffic, don't go there.
Also if you are not comfortable driving at night don't drive at night.
Driving at night you lose depth perception because all you see is lights coming toward you and some of them are so bright they blind you. I don't know how people get away with those bright lights. They are not standard.

Back