Seniors Here Who Live Alone, Would You Have Someone Share Your Home With You If You Could?

I lived alone for 18 months when I was 42 between my second and third marriages and now for the past two years. However, my youngest son moved in and only left 5 months ago. I got along well with my son and would certainly welcome him back if he needed to live with me.

I enjoy living alone and am definitely not interested in living with anybody again. In my senior dining group the women seem to be content but many of the men are looking for a partner.

Her picture shows her flaunting her body (chest and legs) which makes one think she is easy. Sorry, but that's what I thought - just a woman's intuition. I don't think you'll have any difficulty with her. It's mostly your thinking that is in the way. If you feel uncomfortable, though, then you probably are right. But if you want to go as a colleague or friend, it might be easier for you to accept that. I don't see what the problem is.
That's all we are, friends. It's not really a date. I wouldn't consider "hooking up" with someone so much younger than myself. She just happened to be in the right place at the right time and we had been talking about the new year when I said that I received an invitation to a party, but didn't want to go alone. "Would you like to join me?" She understands that we are going as friends. We met a few times for dinner in the past, but again, it was only as friends. I knew I shouldn't have posted her picture and this is why I don't post pictures of myself or anyone else that I have a relationship with. I never understood why males and females can't be friends without people thinking elsewise.

That's all we are, friends. It's not really a date. I wouldn't consider "hooking up" with someone so much younger than myself. She just happened to be in the right place at the right time and we had been talking about the new year when I said that I received an invitation to a party, but didn't want to go alone. "Would you like to join me?" She understands that we are going as friends. We met a few times for dinner in the past, but again, it was only as friends. I knew I shouldn't have posted her picture and this is why I don't post pictures of myself or anyone else that I have a relationship with. I never understood why males and females can't be friends without people thinking elsewise.
Go, have a good time and don’t worry about other people. Life is short. Enjoy it. 😊

Not my current 2 story 2 bedroom hideout residence. Despite tossing much stuff a few years ago, is still overflowing with more trivial now useless stuff I've procrastinated bothering to boringly go through and toss. So not enough room for any others with several cord foot snagging power cord rabbit traps. Generally living decades in a local high income urban world with many lying thieves, have low trust in other unknown people regarding my modest collection of possessions.

I am still in the "family home" (semi alone?) - the house has 4 bedrooms and a self contained "granny" suite.

When my daughter and sons were in University, they were allowed to live in the suite independently, ie shop, cook, keep the suite tidy (they didn't realize the "next step" was out of the house. LOLOL) The last few years, the renters for the suite have been International Students, currently a PhD student from Mexico.

You live in a beautiful place @Sippican. Love Cape Cod.
Thank you...yes, the Cape does have beautiful places. The best time is around Fall. After Labor Day up until mid-late October. The tourists are mostly gone and its still not too cold. Thats when locals become tourists! You can always tell the Summer crowd, the highways are littered with kiddi pools, bicycles, coolers......all from folks that can't tie things down on their cars.

I don't really think it's in my future, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. No, to a roommate. It would have to be a romantic interest, and I'd have to be convinced it was the right thing for both of us. Other than that I have no interest in sharing my space with another person.

I live alone and wouldn't have it any other way. I also have a girlfriend of 12 years. She has her house, I have mine. We are continuously dating for 12 years. She doesn't want marriage, and I don't want marriage. A great pari!

Sounds like you guys a have a good arrangement.

I have been dating a woman for 4 months now. We like being together, obviously. She sleeps over at my place often.

But she wants to get married, and I don't. She also wants to move in with me, and I don't want that. So I have what I want in the relationship, but she doesn't. We have talked about it. She is still hoping to change my mind. I am hoping she will be satisfied with things the way they are.

Living "alone" doesn't really mean you are all alone in the world. I'm in a very nice condo in a hi-rise, plenty big enough for one person but not big enough to be a problem to take care of. My apartment is filled with mementos of my long, happy married life, and lots of stuff given to me as gifts or inherited from my parents or in-laws. There wouldn't be room for another person and all their "stuff!"

But more important, I enjoy my privacy. I decide what and when to eat, what to watch on TV, when to (or if) to sleep, etc. At this point another person would be an interference. But there are plenty of other people in my life, they just don't live here.

The best solution, for me anyway, is to live alone in an independent, senior community with an active social life. All you have to do is walk out of the apartment, and there are plenty of friends, activities, interest groups, social fun, etc.

The best solution, for me anyway, is to live alone in an independent, senior community with an active social life. All you have to do is walk out of the apartment, and there are plenty of friends, activities, interest groups, social fun, etc.
That is what I wish I could do also; it's just so awful that places like that around here are so darn expensive and heck, even if you hit the lottery or something, there are still 3- or 4-year waiting lists to get moved in to so many of those places. I wish there were a nationwide movement to build more of these places but as a realtor told me, the reason why there are very few--if any in some cases--of them being built is because amongst the realty and construction communities, senior housing is considered undesirable since it's so hard to re-sell single family homes or condos nearby; the realtor said it happened to her all the time that if she was taking clients to go look at a house and the client saw one head of grey or white hair, turned to her with a frown and said "Are there a lot of old people living around here?" and if she answered anything other than "no", would say they didn't even want to see the house since they didn't want to live around a bunch of old people who'd be "complaining about loud music" or the client didn't want to hear ambulance sirens all the time because of some old person's chest pains.

But there are plenty of other people in my life, they just don't live here.

You have a very good balance. Some people choose senior communities and don’t find the social interaction they expected.

Back