Seniors, What Types of Outdoor Activities Do You Enjoy?

Walking is something I really enjoy.....
Every morning around 7 or a bit later in winter you'll find me pounding the pavement
for at least 30 minutes just as I've been doing for years.
I put in my headphones to listen to some music and off I go.:woohoo1:

Even though I do have a problem with my painful hip and leg, I persevere.....if I stop exercising
I think I'd probably be worse off.....

Happy birthday, Casper.....and I agree with the morning walk and music, it gets my day off to a good start too, I miss some days but, always feel better when I walk, also I do a lot of yard work and that is getting more difficult with each passing year.

Good morning, Pappy, love your signature this morning.

Guess hubby & I are the odd couple.
We have been riding ATVs for about 10 years.
Since PA. doesn't favor them by opening state game lands, state forests ,, we travel about.

Son lives in Michigan, we ride there.
With him we've take trips to Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota & other western states.

Hubby & I bought an older RV to which we hook a trailer for the ATVs.
Son has a truck & enclosed trailer for his ATVs.

Due to constraints on my time, hiking and walking and nature photography encompass my outdoor activities. But I love it. It's not the quantity, it's the quality. I love bird watching too.

I kinda enjoy off-road driving. My son installed mud tires and suspension lift kit that he bought from 4WheelOnline on our truck and we took on a trail for some driving. It feels exhilarating and it's a good reason for me to go outside.

I am a life long walker,walk everywhere unless its too far for me to do so. I never felt comfortable behind the wheel. I take 3 walks a day,weather permitting. My first walk of the day is usually around 6:30am,when I go 3 blocks to buy NYTimes.
The days I don't have any plans ,I'll take my mid morning walk,which is anywhere from 3-6 blocks. My last walk of the day is in afternoon after lunch and nap. I go around the block.
I do take my walks in winter all bundled up.The only times I don't venture outside is,if the windchill is brutal e.g -20,or a windy,snowy day.
I'm use to walking in all sorts of weather because when I was working,I would walk to work,which was 8 blocks from my apt building Sue

Walking is one of the best exercises to go for!

I'm going to dispute that a bit.
Walking does put pressure on all the joints of the feet and the knees.

In my opinion. Bike riding is the best exercise to go for. I ride my bike every day when the weather allows it. I even use it for shopping. I look forward to it and now our city has expanded bike paths so you don't have to use the bike where there is automobile traffic.

Hands down, nothing beats a calm walk in a park in the morning and one with friends in the evening. That being said, on the weekends I prefer some quiet time with nature, going for fishing with friends, or just visit nearby market to take a stroll and by weekly groceries.

When I was young, I loved mountain climbing. Conquering the steep mountains with few climbing gears was such a thrill. However, now I prefer some “me” time with few of my closest friends. That’s my favorite outdoor activities.

However, when I’m at my home, most of my time is dedicated to understanding technologies that can make an older adult’s life better. These include smart home equipment, wearable techs, etc.

You can read all about my technological adventures at https://techforaging.com/

We've been going on daily walks for years now in the park, very good exercise and beneficial for mind and body. We also like to get away from time to time, and do some camping, simply unplug and become one with nature.

We like boating (have a canoe), fishing, hiking, swimming (at the beach or ocean) and some amateur bird and wildlife watching/photography. What kind of outdoor activities do you enjoy??

🦈
My outdoor activities were varied not long ago, but now it's just walking.

I can't do anywhere what I used to, now that I have 2 tin knees, a bone-on-bone hip & arthritis just about every other place possible, but don't feel sorry for me. I got all that stuff hiking, climbing, falling down slopes etc, wonderful memories. I am still a swimming addict & swim outdoors all summer & at health clubs in winter. I love to be outside & we have a beautiful nature center here on the Rio Grande & am a member there. Loads of hummingbirds in season, migratory water fowl. Senior orgs here have some great trips to various state & national preserves & other outdoor adventures that I go on. Great one to Bosque del Apache a few yrs ago, actually saw a whooping crane from a distance.
My great outdoor love was kayaking, but now I just walk a bit. Going back farther, bicycling was also important to me.

We pretty much do it all, we go mushroom picking, we go for hikes, we visit lakes and streams, but the highlight of my outdoor adventures revolves around travelling about 2-1/2 hours east of where we live, to watch the return of the masses of ducks and geese each spring.

It's a vast and expansive river valley, and I could literally spend weeks just observing all of the wildlife, and when the ducklings and goslings are at their height, I'm in heaven.

I'll take the great outdoors over a concrete jungle any day!

Outside every day, rain or shine, snow wind etc...
Sometimes not so long out there I admit. The one that stops me is freezing rain. Anything outside I like to do, fire wood, shooting, walking reading outside and the list goes on and on....some of the rest
I will keep to myself.😻

One of our favorite things to do is to go bicycling with our dogs. They each have their own seat/bed on the back of each of our bicycles and they absolutely love going on a ride. Since exercise is a permitted activity here we ride around our neighborhood for a few miles when we're up to it.

IMG_6605.JPG

When we travel we like to go places where we can hike. Two our favorite places we've been to hike have been Bar Harbor, Maine and Tierra Del Fuego in Argentina. Here are some pictures from those hikes.

Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine
IMG_0038.JPG

Along a trail in Tierra Del Fuego
IMG_1999.JPG

Back