Slam Dunk Case For The Prosecution But The Victim's Family Wants To Settle

Damaged Goods

Because of advances in forensic technology and DNA analysis, a 20-year old torture, partial dismemberment, murder of a coed was solved. Prosecution was going for the death penalty, but victim's family said that the only way for them to obtain "closure" was to ascertain the location of the bulk of their daughter's remains. They offered to take the death penalty off the table in exchange for that information.

To me, the only "closure" would be to know that the perp received the maximum punishment allowable. I'd have no interest in 20-year old remains.

What say you?

I'm with you 100%, Damaged.

Forget the remains, and if only torture and excruciating pain performed in a slow manner was allowed as a form of punishment, I would sell my soul to the devil to see sickos like this sent off to the land of no return, screaming and crying for mercy.

Because of advances in forensic technology and DNA analysis, a 20-year old torture, partial dismemberment, murder of a coed was solved. Prosecution was going for the death penalty, but victim's family said that the only way for them to obtain "closure" was to ascertain the location of the bulk of their daughter's remains. They offered to take the death penalty off the table in exchange for that information.

To me, the only "closure" would be to know that the perp received the maximum punishment allowable. I'd have no interest in 20-year old remains.

What say you?
Putting myself in their place, I can understand the need for the family to know where their daughter's remains are. They need closure.

I was wondering ... does the prosecution have the final call in a criminal case regardless of what the victim's family wants? I think it does, but not sure.

In this particular case, the prosecutors went along with the family's wishes.

I was wondering ... does the prosecution have the final call in a criminal case regardless of what the victim's family wants? I think it does, but not sure.

In this particular case, the prosecutors went along with the family's wishes.
What a shame.

I would have rather seen him to his grave. :mad:

Too bad there isn't a law that provides the means in which for filth such as this to be handed over to loved ones and family involved, for them to dole-out the punishment in whatever fashion and method they so choose.

In such a case, "closure", for me, would come if I were granted a front row seat at the killer's execution.

I'm not a real fan of Muslim Sharia law, but IMO, those people have it right, when it comes to the treatment of killers.

In such a case, "closure", for me, would come if I were granted a front row seat at the killer's execution.

I'm not a real fan of Muslim Sharia law, but IMO, those people have it right, when it comes to the treatment of killers.
I couldn't have said it better, Don.

I'm with you 100%, Damaged.

Forget the remains, and if only torture and excruciating pain performed in a slow manner was allowed as a form of punishment, I would sell my soul to the devil to see sickos like this sent off to the land of no return, screaming and crying for mercy.

Agree here.

I think it was a wise choice for the parents to finally get the remains of their daughter. I also hope another prisoner takes things into his own hands and gives the guilty party a taste of his own medicine.

Yes, the Prosecutor's office has sole authority to decide charges. If I remember the case quote right, "A private citizen lacks a judicially cognizable interest in the prosecution or nonprosecution of another." Also known as "Prosecutorial discretion" on the Prosecutor's role.

If to charge, and what to charge, all out of the victims legal hands, but they can absolutely ask the Prosectutor questions, voice concerns, etc.

If I remember correctly only 1 state permits "Private prosecutions", if the govt. will not prosecute, if it would happen, big bucks are at play for the party seeking justice.

Too bad there isn't a law that provides the means in which for filth such as this to be handed over to loved ones and family involved, for them to dole-out the punishment in whatever fashion and method they so choose.

Law or not, which it isn't, the Constitution forbids that type of punishment.

Law or not, which it isn't, the Constitution forbids that type of punishment.
It's a shame that the type of punishment I laid out isn't allowed.

As a society we've become much too namby-pamby in the way we deal with sickos.

There should be no place on the face of this planet for such.

Back