So, how's your outlook on life? Positive? Negative?

I feel neutral about the situation today. After retiring and moving to a new home in a new town, the pandemic put a stop to my plans to meet new local friends and activities. Now I am confined mostly to my house and dog, but I find plenty to do at the house and still go out for groceries and other supplies and I don’t feel depressed

I have always been a positive and optimistic person, even though I didn't have a lot of reasons to be, at least in the sense that most people think of reasons to be happy.

But I was always basically on the happy side of neutral.

Up until recently....

A couple of months ago, my mind started dwelling on some things that happened (and some things that didn't happen) a long, long time ago. Mistakes and bad decisions I made, bad timing, etc, etc. Seeing people I knew seem to effortlessly succeed at both personal relationships and occupational endeavors, while everything I attempted I seemed to be stymied. Sometimes by conditions beyond my control, like a congenital disorder that blocked me from certain occupations, etc,

Now, for the past few weeks, I've been feeling lonely, sad and depressed.

I have nobody in my life and every day is just a lonely repeat of the previous one. I've been getting outside and walking for exercise every day which helps a bit. Found out after weighing myself on a public scale the other day, that I've lost about 20 lbs or so. Could stand to lose some more, so I'll keep at that.

After the beginning of the new year, after I take care of some other business and after a vaccine for this COVID business becomes available, I might look into joining a local chapter of a nationwide community service group that meets once per week. Get involved and maybe make some new friends.

I've never been suicidal and I highly doubt I'd ever get to that point. But I will admit that lately, the thought of passing away earlier than I had planned, doesn't seem like such a bad thing and possibly even a relief.

I hope this wasn't too maudlin or self-pitying as I am not that kind of person.

my view ....

iu

I remain positive .... just can't let myself go in the other direction

I have always been a positive and optimistic person, even though I didn't have a lot of reasons to be, at least in the sense that most people think of reasons to be happy.

But I was always basically on the happy side of neutral.

Up until recently....

A couple of months ago, my mind started dwelling on some things that happened (and some things that didn't happen) a long, long time ago. Mistakes and bad decisions I made, bad timing, etc, etc. Seeing people I knew seem to effortlessly succeed at both personal relationships and occupational endeavors, while everything I attempted I seemed to be stymied. Sometimes by conditions beyond my control, like a congenital disorder that blocked me from certain occupations, etc,

Now, for the past few weeks, I've been feeling lonely, sad and depressed.

I have nobody in my life and every day is just a lonely repeat of the previous one. I've been getting outside and walking for exercise every day which helps a bit. Found out after weighing myself on a public scale the other day, that I've lost about 20 lbs or so. Could stand to lose some more, so I'll keep at that.

After the beginning of the new year, after I take care of some other business and after a vaccine for this COVID business becomes available, I might look into joining a local chapter of a nationwide community service group that meets once per week. Get involved and maybe make some new friends.

I've never been suicidal and I highly doubt I'd ever get to that point. But I will admit that lately, the thought of passing away earlier than I had planned, doesn't seem like such a bad thing and possibly even a relief.

I hope this wasn't too maudlin or self-pitying as I am not that kind of person.
It's understandable. Try to keep yourself busy and maybe find a psychologist to speak to. I can't afford therapy so I've been looking at other options.

Well, since the only thing we've been able to do this last summer is use our powerboat, it been quite disappointing. We moved back to Colorado for certain summer things we had done before when we lived here. Most-to-all of them things got cancelled.

If I have any feelings of "negativity", it's towards those that don't want to do the right thing concerning the spread of this virus. But, then again, many folks are following what they're being shown. IOW, no mask wearing or social distancing.

Many Millennials and young Gen X folks are saying, "you aren't going to stop me from partying!"

I'm hopeful for a better future. I consider myself an optimist now. That hasn't always been the case. I used to be plagued with chronic depression. After taking an honest examination of the toxic person who caused me a lifetime of misery, I've excluded this person from my life and couldn't be happier in my change of attitude. I don't take any medication and don't need any. I feel very positive about the future.

I have so much in my life to be thankful for~my loving husband, who has shown me that he's there for me. I've never felt so wanted and loved. Sometimes it takes a crisis for us to say what we need to say to those we love.

I never in a million years expected to be able to lose more than 100 pounds and be a "normal" sized person again. My steps to living a healthier life style have paid off wonderfully. An additional 20 pounds fell off due to the cancer, but I'm maintaining the weight and holding steady. Never thought I'd be trying to NOT lose weight! It's very strange to realize that I'm not the largest woman in a room. It's hard not to say something sassy to the fat shammers who blamed my tumors on gluttony. I just laugh on the inside at their backwardness.

Everything's gonna be alright!

I'm positive and optimistic in the long run. We have moved from a world where many people believed that their leaders were the result of divine right and lineage. In many places were are now able to choose our leaders. We also have moved from a system where there used to be more slavery than there is now.

I feel positive about some things happening in the world and negative about other things but overall I try to focus on the positive.

I'm positive and optimistic in the long run. We have moved from a world where many people believed that their leaders were the result of divine right and lineage. In many places were are now able to choose our leaders. We also have moved from a system where there used to be more slavery than there is now.

I feel positive about some things happening in the world and negative about other things but overall I try to focus on the positive.
Unfortunately, I don't think enough of the world has moved away from that belief of their leaders being the result of divine right; I heard way too much of people (on both sides!) during recent elections talking about how they were sure god wanted them to vote for this candidate. Heck there was a local church here in town whose pastor was telling people who to vote for! So that's why I'm pessimistic.

My outlook is neither positive or negative. It's just realistic.
Me, too. I search out the facts and try to look at things as they actually are, then adjust my life to accommodate which is what The Serenity Prayer is all about.

My goal is contentment or satisfaction with what 'is' rather than always striving for more or different.

Unfortunately, I don't think enough of the world has moved away from that belief of their leaders being the result of divine right; I heard way too much of people (on both sides!) during recent elections talking about how they were sure god wanted them to vote for this candidate. Heck there was a local church here in town whose pastor was telling people who to vote for! So that's why I'm pessimistic.

I myself see a huge difference between people choosing their leaders based on their religious beliefs and a leader being put in place because their family believed that god has given their family the right to govern their people.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to vote for someone because they believe that god wanted them to vote for that person.

I do however think there are more people in the US who are wanting to the have government regulate the values of their religion. I find some of them to be the equivalent of the Christian Taliban. To me there is no such thing as a good theocracy.

Something I'm curious about:

The attention of the mind naturally goes to what brings the most happiness. But, since being on the Senior Forum, I've noticed some people find happiness in their sadness, in complaining, in criticizing, in their anger.
I'm not making a comment about their natural feelings. I'm sure their feelings are valid.

So there is some type of happiness in misery or in wallowing in the lower mind functions? This is interesting!

Last edited:
My attitude is resignation. I'm still alive which is good. I have no unrealistic expectations. What happens will happen. I will keep chugging along.

Something I'm curious about:

The attention of the mind naturally goes to what brings the most happiness. But, since being on the Senior Forum, I've noticed some people find happiness in their sadness, in complaining, in criticizing, in their anger.

So there is some type of happiness in misery or in wallowing in the lower mind functions? This is interesting!
Talking about something painful can bring some relief. It's not always a matter of complaining or anger or wallowing. It's venting.

Back