So sad (give away record collection to downsize)

kburra

Last year one of our close lady friends' Husband passed away, so she has decided to downsize to a retirement village and has no room for his record collection, and also no inclination to play them anyway, so has given them all to me. Apart from the ones in the photos(I am playing) there are about 80 others, Begees, Supertramp, DierStraits, Elton John, Barry White, StatusQuo, The Shadows, Chris Rea, Tangerine Dream, to name just some.
Disc2.jpgdisc3.jpg

So what do you plan on doing with them? I would love to buy some from you but we cannot do them here.
I have my own record collection which I play often (Love Vinyl LPs) so will be playing them for a while and hang on to them, but if decide to sell them will contact you through here and make arrangements.

I still have most of the records I bought as a teen 50 years ago. There in the loft... When I die, my daughter will throw them in the trash, I'm sure of that because they have no sentimental value to her.. as they have to me.. and none of them are worth anything on the second hand market

I still have most of the records I bought as a teen 50 years ago. There in the loft... When I die, my daughter will throw them in the trash, I'm sure of that because they have no sentimental value to her.. as they have to me.. and none of them are worth anything on the second hand market
I know what you mean Holly, they mean a lot to me too. My daughter is the type of person who will keep everything of mine, she is very sentimental.

Hey! Don't throw any of that wonderful music away. It's a gold mine.

A couple of days ago, I wandered into a music/DVD store and looked at their LP records for sale. I couldn't believe it. Many were $52.99 an album. This is Canadian pricing and there is in addition a 12% sales tax.

When I started buy albums in the 60s/70, I bought the original Johnny Cash Sun label recordings for $2.99 Canadian. I still have those albums. Acutually, I used to have over 1,000 albums. Now, I have only 250 and I am not going to part with them. I have original LP recordings by Johnny Horton, Ray Price, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins and a lot of James Last and Roberto Delgado. Not parting with any of them. You can keep your rappers! I'm lucky to have lived in a period of time when you could actually hear and understand what a singer was singing about.

Attachments

• Johnny Cash, SUN Label.jpg
    Johnny Cash, SUN Label.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Amazon sells a device called the "Echo Show." It has 2 million songs to play at your choice. I have six of them. I just have to request a song name or singer name and it plays it for me. I give each rendition a "Thumbs Up" and it plays them all the time. If I give the song a "Thumbs Down," it never plays it again.

I focus my interest in songs about Jesus.

Amazon sells a device called the "Echo Show." It has 2 million songs to play at your choice. I have six of them. I just have to request a song name or singer name and it plays it for me. I give each rendition a "Thumbs Up" and it plays them all the time. If I give the song a "Thumbs Down," it never plays it again.

I focus my interest in songs about Jesus.
Mitch I didn’t know about that and it sounds great.

i gave my son an almost full collection of all the beatles albums - he must still have them and they will be worth a fortune - vynil - these things just keep goin up in price either hold them or sell them but you will be rich!

I know what you mean Holly, they mean a lot to me too. My daughter is the type of person who will keep everything of mine, she is very sentimental.
I actually find that sad as some people get burdened with other’s possessions. Some people confuse their love for the person with a misplaced responsibility of keeping their possessions.

I have downsized and gave my kids what they wanted. The exception is what I am still using and they will inherit. My condo could be emptied easily in less than a day and probably packed in 4 hours by one person. That’s my gift to my kids.

That's quite a nice collection she gave you! What better way to honor her husband's memory than to give the LPs to someone who will actually listen to the music. My son (a deejay and producer) would have loved to get his hands on them. Having to downsize is the unfortunate (or fortunate, according to how you look at it) action necessary for those who accumulated lots of stuff to be able to move to a smaller space. I remember my mother and father had to give away a beautiful 7 piece dining room set they had. Enjoy your "new" music Kburra. 🎶🎧

I actually find that sad as some people get burdened with other’s possessions. Some people confuse their love for the person with a misplaced responsibility of keeping their possessions.

I have downsized and gave my kids what they wanted. The exception is what I am still using and they will inherit. My condo could be emptied easily in less than a day and probably packed in 4 hours by one person. That’s my gift to my kids.
I feel the same way about something's, when my parents passed away I made all the grandchildren go and take anything they wanted. I felt my parents had given me enough when they were alive .

I think some people consider even just the album covers as vintage art.

Sadly things show up at thrift stores. You can sometimes see a collection. Today I saw two mugs from Yosemite that had girls names on them. Perhaps gifted and sadly someone didn't want them. I bought a large vintage mug from the Grand Canyon. Probably the closest I'll ever get to the place.

Items can be a burden. In addition to the car loads of things taken to the thrift store after my stepfather moved here. He finally agreed to go through and release the stuff in the closets. Ended up being 3 car loads to PAWS. Which I took of course. I hated every single second of it.

I had well over 100 albums of 60s to early 80s rock music. Never really played them, and gave them away in 1990s. Now, like Packerjohn said, those albums are going for a minimum of $50-60 a pop. A Beatles album with original sleeve goes for $100s. There's supposed to be a rare Beatles Album with some misprint or something, and with original sleeve, and original poster went for tens and tens of thousands.

In 1992 I left my records in a sunny corner of our living room and had hundreds of albums, mostly my favourites. When we got here my other half through away the massive collection they had. He has his ear buds he listens to. Bummer.

I had well over 100 albums of 60s to early 80s rock music. Never really played them, and gave them away in 1990s. Now, like Packerjohn said, those albums are going for a minimum of $50-60 a pop. A Beatles album with original sleeve goes for $100s. There's supposed to be a rare Beatles Album with some misprint or something, and with original sleeve, and original poster went for tens and tens of thousands.
It wasn't a misprint, it was just in really poor taste so they slapped a new cover over the ones that hadn't gone to stores yet.

My brother had a collection of every Beatle album released in the US, including the one with the tasteless cover, but in 1995, someone broke into his house and stole them. Only them.

Here's that tasteless cover, the Beatles as butchers....of babies :oops:

beatles_butcher_album_cover.jpeg

I just finished reading a book called "Record Store Days." Yes, there is a definite revival in Vinyl. It has to do with the sound, the art work on the albums and other factors.

Sad to know that a couple of decades ago, folks were hauling their record collections to the garbage dump when the CDs came out.

It wasn't a misprint, it was just in really poor taste so they slapped a new cover over the ones that hadn't gone to stores yet.

My brother had a collection of every Beatle album released in the US, including the one with the tasteless cover, but in 1995, someone broke into his house and stole them. Only them.

Here's that tasteless cover, the Beatles as butchers....of babies :oops:

View attachment 286240
OMG, do you think it could have been some "friend" who knew he had these albums? I think I watched a segment on Antiques Roadshow featuring this cover.

I hand literally thousands of 78RPMs and LP albums. Nobody wanted them because they were easy listening. No one wants Frank Sinatra and Doris Day anymore. One guy that came to look at them said they were "shelf filler". Unfortunately, I was in a desperate situation when I moved. Luckily I found some guys that were opening a record store and they bought my whole lot for $100. It took them over an hour to carry them out to their truck.

I hand literally thousands of 78RPMs and LP albums. Nobody wanted them because they were easy listening. No one wants Frank Sinatra and Doris Day anymore. One guy that came to look at them said they were "shelf filler". Unfortunately, I was in a desperate situation when I moved. Luckily I found some guys that were opening a record store and they bought my whole lot for $100. It took them over an hour to carry them out to their truck.
😯 That's a lot. I think you were lucky to find someone to give 100 dollars for them and carry them out. There must have been boxes and boxes. They would go through them and store the ones they didn't want to put out yet. Who knows, they could come back in style some day. At least you were rid of them.

Back