Spelling words correctly.

Once I was proud of my spelling ability then along came spell check, (I didn't need to know how to spell any more) then came word recognition (I didn't need to know how to type any more) then came voice recognition (for sure I don't need to know how to spell or type and it corrects grammar errors) then there is Sweetie, now I don't have to think any more, but I still get to pay when we go out.

I find myself misspelling words more as I age, so I keep a current copy of WordWeb on my system, and whenever I misspell a word, I go there for the correct spelling. IMO, correct spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure are necessary for any meaningful communications. There are posts, on the internet, which make me wonder what that person has been drinking.

Yes. 🙃 I start Googling those so it'll bring up the right word and spelling after a few letters. Sometimes mine are so off that Google can't figure it out.
Have that problem too ... and I don't like when Google decides what word I want, and it isn't where I was going at all ...lol .. takes a couple tries to say, NO Google, let me do it my way! .. 😀
Also auto correct really does some strange things on my computer at times.

Last edited:
I find myself misspelling words more as I age, so I keep a current copy of WordWeb on my system, and whenever I misspell a word, I go there for the correct spelling. IMO, correct spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure are necessary for any meaningful communications. There are posts, on the internet, which make me wonder what that person has been drinking.

What a handy app that is, Don! Just added it to my system. Thanks for the tip. (y)

p.s. There are posts on SF that sometimes make me wonder what that person has been drinking. And if he/she is willing to share.

Google and I have battles sometimes, because the US and UK spellings of some words are different. Google wants to give me the US spelling, but I live in the UK and use the spellings I learned as a boy.

Google and I have battles sometimes, because the US and UK spellings of some words are different. Google wants to give me the US spelling, but I live in the UK and use the spellings I learned as a boy.
Even though I live in the US I’m an Aussie by birth so there are words that I had to learn a different spelling for after I moved here....color and colour being one of numerous examples.

Don’t EVEN get me started on word meanings!! I had so much trouble when I first moved here trying to figure out what folks were talking about! Maybe I’ll start a thread about that....yeah, yeah I think I will. 😂

My dictionary is the most-used book in my place. It's tucked under my settee so I can consult it any time. For some reason, and I would be interested to know if this happens to others, I have difficulty spelling when on a keyboard. When writing with pen and paper, the words flow easily but it could be because I have never learned to type.

I find myself misspelling words more as I age, so I keep a current copy of WordWeb on my system, and whenever I misspell a word, I go there for the correct spelling. IMO, correct spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure are necessary for any meaningful communications. There are posts, on the internet, which make me wonder what that person has been drinki

Don, I used to be concerned about words that didn't look right, as you say -try alternatives..., but there is solace in we know the spelling is
incorrect. As you point out, their are those that apparently do not know the how error laden their post are.
Look, we knew how to spell these pesky little rascal once.
That is enough for me.
I'm afraid I lost concern for spelling errors,, incorrect punctuation...you can tell from the syntax, post content a rough intellectual level of the writer.
Were I in the business world, yes it would be a concern, today, 'Ah, its close enough, don't worry about it.'
The folks on this site are as smart as me; we seek our own-huh?.

It just took me 6 tries to spell "solemn" correctly. Even without autocorrect, nothing I typed LOOKED right, y'know? That ever happen to you when you're struggling to spell a word....it just doesn't look the way you believe it's supposed to?
Okay, Ronni, 'fess up,' someone in your household is used to be, or still is an English Teacher, come on, which one, both?
If the party taught literature, that is a bonus; grammar is another story.

If you want to make hear massed groans tell 9th graders, "Okay, were going to study poetry"

Damn you, Spellcheck, you piece of shut.
Don:
See that is an example of the content of the level of education... of people on this site. We know the difference. Now is the time for
fun and to tweak the nose of those that demand compliance with standard English ( Thanks jujube)

try your hand at homonyms, there a hoot[. ( Correction for jujube, 'there a boot.''''''')

Last edited:
Even though I live in the US I’m an Aussie by birth so there are words that I had to learn a different spelling for after I moved here....color and colour being one of numerous examples.

Don’t EVEN get me started on word meanings!! I had so much trouble when I first moved here trying to figure out what folks were talking about! Maybe I’ll start a thread about that....yeah, yeah I think I will. 😂
Please do, that will be a fun subject

In the 60s, I went to a Catholic High school. We had one period where we could take what ever we wanted. Wow. 1 free period in 4 years. I wanted to take typing. The nuns told me that I couldn't. That was a female course. If I needed any typing my secretary would be doing all my typing. She hasn't shown up in 50 years. Now, all I have is this spell check thing.

Back