Starbucks apologizes after six officers say they were asked to leave a store in Arizona

Not the first time this has happened. It may be an idiot's way of expressing his dislike for firearms. Or, perhaps he has criminal activity in his past & cops did their job & arrested him. Or maybe he resisted arrest & got hurt.

The thing that I have trouble with is an individual believing that the solution to their discomfort is to ask other people in a public place to leave.

I have to believe that some of these things are being staged.

A lot of restaurants, coffee shops and small stores like having cops hang out there. I think the barista should NOT have even mentioned it to the police but told the complainer to head on out the door if he/she didn't like it.

I do think the police should have been sitting down and not standing in a group. 4 or 5 cops standing does make a person wonder if they know something we don't. In this day of random shootings and bombings a group of police standing around does make us take notice.

There are some wonderful, very intelligent people working at Starbucks and maybe this barista is one of them. Just because they made a poor judgement call doesn't mean they are lacking in gray matter.

Personally, I think it was a very dumb thing for the manager to do. Police officers have as much right to be there as anybody else, and for the manager to ask six people to leave because they allegedly made one customer uncomfortable doesn't seem like a very good business decision, anyway. Since when does it make any sense at all to ask a group of (presumably) law abiding folks to leave just because their presence makes some random person uncomfortable?

I have lived two blocks from a Starbucks for 10 years +/- and never went in but the same holds true of Boston Market and other close by very popular chain restaurants.

This is what i hope.....

The store gets robbed some night........no one hurt , nothing serious. But as the manager cowers in his office he call 911...and the operator says ... I'm sorry sir we're not allowed in your store so .... good luck.

I wonder if the folks at Dunkin' will have some fun with this incident.

dunkin_donuts_police.jpg

Personally, I think it was a very dumb thing for the manager to do. Police officers have as much right to be there as anybody else, and for the manager to ask six people to leave because they allegedly made one customer uncomfortable doesn't seem like a very good business decision, anyway. Since when does it make any sense at all to ask a group of (presumably) law abiding folks to leave just because their presence makes some random person uncomfortable?
I think the customer should have been asked to leave if they were that delicate and uncomfortable. :rolleyes: I don't frequent any Starbucks but they are all around, in the book stores, supermarkets, etc. I have no problem with cops, although I have zero tolerance for the ones who abuse their authority and kill for no good reason. As with many things in life, the small amount of corrupt ones leave a bad reflection or gray cloud over the rest of the group.

Don't know what these Starbucks employees are thinking, guess they're not thinking at all. o_O

Some bubble head manager told a group of cops to leave, because their presence upset a patron. Apparently, the coffee chain hires only the extremely intellectually challenged. Instead of asking the cops to leave, the manager should have asked the patron if the manager should have called the police.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/starbucks-apologizes-after-six-officers-say-they-were-asked-to-
The person that complained should have been asked to leave. If I ever felt threatened by anyone I would leave ASAP.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...re-asked-to-leave-arizona-store-idUSKCN1U20I9
It sounds like there was considerable fallout against Starbucks after this incident. They are apologizing their heads off. I'm still wondering what was really behind the customer's complaint. Some ideas:

1. The cops were acting drunk and disorderly, twirling their guns around, pretending to shoot people, etc. But this scene would be much more likely in a bar than in a coffee shop. And I've never heard of police officers behaving that way. But I suppose it's possible.

2. The customer had a phobia about police. Some of the articles said he asked them to move "out of his line of sight" or leave the store. In other words, a nut case. So why did the Starbucks employee follow his request? (He could have been asked to move, or leave the store, himself.)

3. There was an ugly racial incident in a Starbucks about a year ago. If you remember, two black men who were doing nothing wrong were asked to leave a Starbucks. Lots of intensive racial sensitivity training followed that. Maybe the customer was black ,and this triggered an irrational fear?

I realize all these theories are off the wall and could all be totally wrong. But it's worth thinking about.

1. The cops were acting drunk and disorderly, twirling their guns around, pretending to shoot people, etc. But this scene would be much more likely in a bar than in a coffee shop. And I've never heard of police officers behaving that way. But I suppose it's possible.
Sorry, I don't think that's worth thinking about- even in a bar. Imo, I don't suppose it's possible.

Back