"Talking" With a New Male Friend

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I've met a seemingly nice gentleman on a free dating site. Actually haven't met him in person yet. He lives not far from me, is 10 years older than I, seems to have good manners and is respectful. Not sure when I'm going to take the next step and actually meet. It's been a long time since I've chatted at the dating site with someone respectful and mannerly! It's so refreshing as most on there are not I have found. I even have taken my ad down at times giving up but am glad I gave it one more shot.

Oooooh that's interesting for you Ruthanne,,, 🙂.. have you been talking to him long?.. as always just be careful if you do decide to meet. Meet in a public place probably for lunch or just coffee the first time, never your or his home..... I hope it goes well for you !! (y)
Not very long HD about a week or so. Yes, we will meet at a public place for sure. Thank you!

all the above Ruthanne- the short meets at the beginning get to know him a little better each time ' its always a risk
as you well know 'open meets like holly saids' make it your rules -enjoy let us know ' (y)
Thank you I will keep you updated!
met my present wife on internet(not a dateing site),lived 10 miles from me,,good luck
Good for you! This guy lives in my city a few streets from me!

All the best, hope his pic is current and all as first impressions.
Just remember that scams start out fine, too, trusting he does live nearby and will not ask you for money.
With best wishes.
He told me the apt. building he lives in and I am familiar with it. He is not a scam I am sure. What he looks like is not that important to me. His pic is nice and current, too. Thanks for the concern and well wishes! :)

Yes, Ruthanne, I was thinking that he should be able to converse about local matters, and landmarks.
I did not mean that his looks were important, but I have read of some people using very out of date photos, or even someone elses.
Sounds like it is genuine and all my best wishes.

Yes, Ruthanne, I was thinking that he should be able to converse about local matters, and landmarks.
I did not mean that his looks were important, but I have read of some people using very out of date photos, or even someone elses.
Sounds like it is genuine and all my best wishes.
Yes, he has conversed about local going ons and places. Thank you. :) Another interesting thing is that I saw his profile and contacted him because he is so near.

Has he expressed a wish to meet with you Ruthanne? If you do meet, and the sparks are not there for romance you've lost nothing , but at least you've made a new friend. (y)
We haven't chatted about meeting yet. We still have to start phoning. I'm not really looking for romance tbh but know that goes along with it. Looking for a good male friend to do things with. Yes, at least making a good friend would be real nice.
as long as he has a good hobby like daily sudoku. thats the main thing.
He likes to write. I'm not familiar with sudoku.

Good luck with having a new friend! I had someone message me on FB and turned out to be a scam. My daughter had an admirer that turned into a stalker and that's how he knew so much about our family. When she told me he had contacted her again and she had to get a restraining order I got suspicious of my new friend and quickly unfriended him and reported him to FB. They terminated his fake account and we have not heard from him since. Glad you have determined your friend is who he says he is. I would love to have a friend to do things with but am leery of dating sites.

Good luck with having a new friend! I had someone message me on FB and turned out to be a scam. My daughter had an admirer that turned into a stalker and that's how he knew so much about our family. When she told me he had contacted her again and she had to get a restraining order I got suspicious of my new friend and quickly unfriended him and reported him to FB. They terminated his fake account and we have not heard from him since. Glad you have determined your friend is who he says he is. I would love to have a friend to do things with but am leery of dating sites.
Thank you. I have had all kinds of scammers on FB too. I changed my settings so they can't bother me. I have been using POF dating site but was ready to give up.

Strange that you live close but have never met. I wonder if you have passed each other in the street?
Hope it works out for you.
I live in hope of meeting someone but I would prefer to meet them face to face first. The problem with chatting on the internet and then meeting is that you have expectations. You might both be disappointed when you actually meet.

Strange that you live close but have never met. I wonder if you have passed each other in the street?
Hope it works out for you.
I live in hope of meeting someone but I would prefer to meet them face to face first. The problem with chatting on the internet and then meeting is that you have expectations. You might both be disappointed when you actually meet.
I really have no expectations as I have learned not to. Thanks for your reply.

Good luck Ruthanne, I hope he's a good guy and you both can enjoy some nice times together. As already mentioned here, and I'm sure you know all this first-hand, but we do care about you. Please meet in public at first in the daytime, and avoid going to each others apartments for a looong time, until you feel is is trustworthy and no threat to you physically or emotionally. Talking on the phone is the perfect first step. Hugs.

I wish you well but please be careful and not share any financial or personal information with this gentleman. Sometimes people are desperate and they are looking for someone that can help them out. Take care of yourself 🥰
I have no worries about him. But thanks for your concern.

Good luck Ruthanne, I hope he's a good guy and you both can enjoy some nice times together. As already mentioned here, and I'm sure you know all this first-hand, but we do care about you. Please meet in public at first in the daytime, and avoid going to each others apartments for a looong time, until you feel is is trustworthy and no threat to you physically or emotionally. Talking on the phone is the perfect first step. Hugs.
Thank you. I'll keep you updated. :giggle:

If you do meet, and the sparks are not there for romance you've lost nothing , but at least you've made a new friend. (y)

That seldom works. Back a long time ago when I was still trying to find romance I would tell someone I liked but not romantically that we could be friends. All of the time they acted insulted, one practically shouted, "I have plenty of FRIENDS, I am looking for a romantic partner".

That seldom works. Back a long time ago when I was still trying to find romance I would tell someone I liked but not romantically that we could be friends. All of the time they acted insulted, one practically shouted, "I have plenty of FRIENDS, I am looking for a romantic partner".
I understand you, but Ruthanne has said she's not looking for romance, particularly, and I would presumer her friend knows that already!!

Back