Texas Governor suggests seniors willing to die for economy

Go for it Dan! Perhaps even more proof as to way at 70 years of life you have soared to the position of Lieutenant Governor. Keep in mind Dan's background is doing sports news in Houston, TX.

Nobody is around to do my shopping for me. I go grocery shopping once a week to grab what I can use from what's left on the shelf and go. Ordering ahead only to get 3 of the 10 things I need 3 days later will not work for me. I'll be obedient to a point, but anything past that forget it. I live alone. No contact with anyone else. What more do they want?
Why don't you shop online?

What's more important people's lives, or the GNP? I can't believe the hype over the coronavirus. A few months ago, during the height of the flu season, tens of thousands, in the US died. In 2017, at least, 60,000. Nobody shut down Disneyland, we had toilet paper in the stores, and we made money. Now, the coronavirus comes along, and we have to stay six feet apart. Why? The symptoms of the virus are rather mild. Of those tested, about 50% of the positives didn't have any symptoms. Outside of China, mortality rates are about the same as the flu. So far, in the US, 800 deaths have been asscociated with the virus. In the US, there are about 129 suicides/day, that's about 3,870 for the last month. What I don't understand is why is the virus such an upheaval, when we just came through a vicious flu season, which nobody really cared about. Nobody was shutting down cruise ships when the flu hit. The same sector of the aging population was targeted by the flu as the virus. If you are terrified about the virus, why did nobody really care about the flu? Tens of thousands died because of the flu, yet no one was piling up toilet paper in their closets. Were flu victims expendable, but virus victims aren't? That is what I don't understand.

A) The US CDC falsely inflates flu deaths at the bidding of vaccine manufacturers. US vital statistics records showing cause of death from flu on actual death certificates is 10s of thousands lower than CDC 'estimates.'

B) Even with the falsely elevated flu numbers, flu mortality runs around 0.01%. Covid-19 lowball is 1.0 percent--ten times deadlier at the very least. US is currently running around 1.4% mortality rate and in most areas, we haven't even kicked off like NY, Washington State. Cali and NOLA. Italy's mortality rate is around 10%.

Covid-19 is far more contagious and far deadlier than the flu. If you didn't figure that out in January when Communist China first locked down 11 million people for '26' deaths and bombed their emerging economy, then I don't know what'll convince you.

Last edited:
having older and immune compromised citizens to utilize the stay home concept ...allowing citizens that are not to work..this would be after the testing process has evolved to a more efficient capability..we'll see

Thanks for the clarification. Interesting.

I have heard nothing about this in California - at this point the stay-at-home clamps are tightening, not loosening. Not overwhelming our health care workers and infrastructure is the highest priority.

Yeah, you can't trust those lying bastards at the CDC???? All I can think of is-if this were the 1950s people would be running around shouting this was "Commie Plot".
BTW I live alone. The stores won't deliver to me , because I'm out in the sticks. And the whole online ordering thing is a tiny side of what they do. The process sometime works. I found that when I ordered for pick up at the store, at least 20% of the order was "unavailable", even though it was on the shelf. It's just some kid with a shopping list and 10 minutes to run through the store filling an order.
To be honest, I think the fear of the virus may do more harm than the actual virus. If you believe a large portion of the government was selling itself out for profit, you can believe anything. And the "government" isn't a thing, it's US-it's your neighbors, relatives and friends.

having older and immune compromised citizens to utilize the stay home concept ...allowing citizens that are not to work..this would be after the testing process has evolved to a more efficient capability..we'll see
UK was trying that, let the virus spread and hopefully get it over with. That didn'twork too well. They are now shut down and very hard hit.

Patrick, who said he will turn 70 next week, said that he did not fear COVID-19, but feared that stay-at-home orders and economic upheaval would destroy the American way of life.

Just with that sentence alone, the man proves that he is an idiot.

Ronni: How would seniors do that exactly? Would we go shopping flagrantly without a mask? Seriously though, What did he have in mind for seniors to do?
Hmm, I did not shop flagrantly, but I did shop without a mask and gloves. Health professionals need masks, we just need to use common sense. I think he means we would forgo using a machine for breathing-DNI.

What's more important people's lives, or the GNP? I can't believe the hype over the coronavirus. A few months ago, during the height of the flu season, tens of thousands, in the US died. In 2017, at least, 60,000. Nobody shut down Disneyland, we had toilet paper in the stores, and we made money. Now, the coronavirus comes along, and we have to stay six feet apart. Why? The symptoms of the virus are rather mild. Of those tested, about 50% of the positives didn't have any symptoms. Outside of China, mortality rates are about the same as the flu. So far, in the US, 800 deaths have been asscociated with the virus. In the US, there are about 129 suicides/day, that's about 3,870 for the last month. What I don't understand is why is the virus such an upheaval, when we just came through a vicious flu season, which nobody really cared about. Nobody was shutting down cruise ships when the flu hit. The same sector of the aging population was targeted by the flu as the virus. If you are terrified about the virus, why did nobody really care about the flu? Tens of thousands died because of the flu, yet no one was piling up toilet paper in their closets. Were flu victims expendable, but virus victims aren't? That is what I don't understand.
I agree with everything you have said, but from this day forward I am always going to pile up toilet paper in my closet-as soon as I can get enough to make a pile!

Yea this is just like the flu:

This is from an ICU physician .
IN TULSA.
Please just STAY HOME AND KEEP YOURSELVES HEALTHY. A virus can’t kill you if it never meets you.
——————-
“... I'm drenched in sweat from wearing a Tyvek suit and being in our COVID-19 negative pressure ICU for hours doing procedures. I've intubated 3 COVID patients tonight. I have another who is going to die tonight. I have another moving to the unit that I will have to intubate.
Every patient asks me the same question: what's going to happen? I give the same answer every time: I don't know, but this isn't good. It's not a lie, but their chances are shit. That's the truth.
I've been having them facetime or talk with family before intubation. It's their chance to say goodbye. No family can come into that unit. It's sealed off from the rest of the world. Every time I go in, I feel like I'm walking over graves.
It's not the death that's getting to me, it's the not knowing how to fix it. Not knowing how to pull someone back who shouldn't be there. These people who are relatively healthy are being ravaged by this virus. I don't understand it.
I just want to help and all I feel like is a goddamn grim reaper. I'm not afraid to say it, this virus scares the shit out of me. If you aren't scared, you haven't stood toe to toe with it.
There is a difference between an outbreak, an epidemic, and a pandemic. There is a difference between well-known viruses and one's that develop out of the blue. COVID-19 is new. It's a pandemic. No one yet understands it. No one knows how to treat it. This is why it is a BIG deal.
There is a difference between an outbreak, an epidemic, and a pandemic. There is a difference between well-known viruses and one's that develop out of the blue. COVID-19 is new. It's a pandemic. No one yet understands it. No one knows how to treat it. This is why it is a BIG deal.

I think you're twisting his words just a bit. What he said was inelegantly put, to say the least. But he isn't suggesting you get the disease and die. Nor is he wishing harm to old folks. Calm down people!
I tend to agree. When my GF sent me the link to the article, the headline was inflammatory but when I read another article about what he said, it came off differently. Right now I'm on the fence about what his intent actually was. Hopefully you're right.

Apologies to any of you from Texas, no intention to bash your State, but seriously, the idiocy of some people!

Dan Patrick, Texas’ Republican lieutenant governor, on Monday night suggested that he and other grandparents would be willing to risk their health and even lives in order for the United States to “get back to work” amid the corona virus pandemic

Full article here.

I would absolutely risk my health and my life for my loved ones. But this suggestion is ridiculous. How dare he speak for me?
Hi Ronni - I am willing to sacrifice myself for others if the need arises, but NOT to save the economy! Definitely not my priority.

Yea this is just like the flu:

This is from an ICU physician .
IN TULSA.
Please just STAY HOME AND KEEP YOURSELVES HEALTHY. A virus can’t kill you if it never meets you.
——————-
“... I'm drenched in sweat from wearing a Tyvek suit and being in our COVID-19 negative pressure ICU for hours doing procedures. I've intubated 3 COVID patients tonight. I have another who is going to die tonight. I have another moving to the unit that I will have to intubate.
Every patient asks me the same question: what's going to happen? I give the same answer every time: I don't know, but this isn't good. It's not a lie, but their chances are shit. That's the truth.
I've been having them facetime or talk with family before intubation. It's their chance to say goodbye. No family can come into that unit. It's sealed off from the rest of the world. Every time I go in, I feel like I'm walking over graves.
It's not the death that's getting to me, it's the not knowing how to fix it. Not knowing how to pull someone back who shouldn't be there. These people who are relatively healthy are being ravaged by this virus. I don't understand it.
I just want to help and all I feel like is a goddamn grim reaper. I'm not afraid to say it, this virus scares the shit out of me. If you aren't scared, you haven't stood toe to toe with it.
Yes, this reality sucks (excuse me) - But, we all need to deal with it. It's obviously inconvenient for most of us - but, as this quote illustrates, the people on the front lines are far, far worse off than the majority of us. Just a suggestion - Let's each put our own trials and tribulations in perspective before we whine - and discourage selfish stupidity in others (Yes, I mean the idiots flaunting their rights to do as they please and ignore the mandates that are meant to save us all!)

For those who are (increasingly feebly) equating this disease with the flu... when have you ever seen entire countries shut down because of a flu epidemic? Today's paper shows a picture of desperate people in India walking hundreds of miles without food or water to escape the cities. Are they all crazy?

For those who are (increasingly feebly) equating this disease with the flu... when have you ever seen entire countries shut down because of a flu epidemic? Today's paper shows a picture of desperate people in India walking hundreds of miles without food or water to escape the cities. Are they all crazy?
Without food and water? Yes, I believe they are all crazy, but then this is coming from someone who found out she cannot live without toilet paper. Maybe my opinion is not valid on this.

They are between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Horrible to have to make a decision between too bad choices.

Without food and water? Yes, I believe they are all crazy, but then this is coming from someone who found out she cannot live without toilet paper. Maybe my opinion is not valid on this.
Back in the day, we used cloth diapers - rinsed, scrubbed, bleached, reused. No immediate need now, but - I find myself thinking of the cotton blouses that I haven't worn in years! You, too, can probably survive without TP (-; (Although, I now wish I had invested in a toilet paper company!) Excuse my poor attempt at humor - I needed to shake off the dark. Stay well!

The article and picture about the people in India are on the front page of today's paper. Correction: it did not say "no food or water," it said "with little food or water." The people fleeing are migrant workers who were trapped in the lockdown and cannot get home to their rural village any other way than by walking.

Back