The Church of Scientology. A respectful, civil, sharing of thoughts.

Only part. You are right it is long, here is a shorter read:

Hare Krishnas no longer berobed hippies who proselytize in airports
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/201...-berobed-hippies-who-proselytize-in-airports/
Thanks.

Here's the meat of it, for anyone interested:

"In the 1960s and ’70s, Hare Krishnas were a fixture in popular culture. George Harrison sang their mantra in his 1970 hit “My Sweet Lord,” and the mantra resounded on Broadway in the musical “Hair.” Hare Krishnas showed up in orange robes and shaven heads, drumming up donations at the airport in the 1980 comedy “Airplane!”

“Twenty years ago, when I’d walk into a class and ask people if they knew who the Hare Krishnas were, virtually everybody would raise their hands,” Rochford said. Today, Rochford said, about half his young students have never heard of the Hare Krishnas.

They may not be in airports anymore – many airports banned them, and ISKCON lost a Supreme Court case claiming a constitutional right to proselytize in the terminals – but the Hare Krishnas still believe in spreading the word about their faith far and wide.

The religion found another route to recruitment in the country’s fascination with Eastern spiritual practices. After all, Hare Krishnas were doing yoga long before American moms were wearing yoga pants. And meditation is at the core of their faith.

Urukrama Das, a Hare Krishna devotee... marvels at how mainstream culture seems to be moving closer to Hare Krishna culture in the years since he joined in 1995.

Das was a full-time religious worker in Denver and then in Kansas City. “Now, if you want to join and be full-time in the temple, they look at you like, ‘Do you really want to do that? Finish your education first,'” Das said. “Back then, the attitude was, ‘Drop everything and come on in.'”

He now drives a delivery truck for United Parcel Service in Columbus, Ohio. He spotted a poster in the break room recently, advising employees about healthy living. Get enough sleep and eat your vegetables, the poster said. And for stress relief, try meditation.

“What the hell is meditation?” a fellow driver grumbled upon seeing the sign. Another driver pointed to Das: “Ask him.”
It was the perfect opening. Das explained his spiritual practice to his colleagues.

“This is an age of the mind,” Das said. “Wow! Right there in the UPS hallway. Even UPS is preaching our way.”

I know that the Scientologists pretty much "owned" the town of Clearwater here in Florida at one time (they may still). They started buying up property and getting their members elected to the city board and the next time anybody looked, the town was Scientology-Ville for all practical purposes.

As for the Hare Krishnas, we visited a Hare Krishna temple in India where we were greeted very nicely and shown around. The only bad thing was when I tripped over one on the floor and broke my foot.

Many years ago, we were camping in Michigan and a large group of Hare Krishnas came to the park for a weekend retreat. We were invited to eat with them (very delicious food) and chant with them (I did for a while).

I can remember when they were in the airports and at every festival.

I remember seeing a group of them (Hare Krishnas), dancing and singing at the Washington Square monument in Greenwich Village so very long ago. Orange robes, shaved heads, bells, etc. they were very happy it seemed.

Wouldn't be Baptist by any chance? I tried going to a Baptist church when I first moved to Kentucky and one Sunday the pastor was talking about the upcoming church picnic. He announced that all the females were expected to dress "appropriately", no shorts or pants were allowed. I guessed that meant all the ladies had to wear a dress to a picnic. I never went to the picnic and never went back to that church.
Baptist, Pentecostal and Church of Christ.

For a number of years, L. Ron Hubbard lived on a ship
He also had a quite undistinguished Naval career. Whist stationed in Australia, after sending a ship thousands of miles out it its way, his commander said this about him:

By assuming unauthorized authority and attempting to perform duties for which he has no qualifications, he became the source of much trouble... This officer is not satisfactory for independent duty assignment. He is garrulous and tries to give impressions of his importance. He also seems to think he has unusual ability in most lines. These characteristics indicate that he will require close supervision for satisfactory performance of any intelligence duty.

After his return to the US the Navy gave him command of submarine chaser. As commander his only "action" was to attack a couple of Mexican Islands, he believed to be submarines. As a result of complaints from the Mexican government he was reprimanded, the Naval Board of Investigation concluding:

this officer lacking in the essential qualities of judgment, leadership and cooperation. He acts without forethought as to probable results. He is believed to have been sincere in his efforts to make his ship efficient and ready. Not considered qualified for command or promotion at this time. Recommend duty on a large vessel where he can be properly supervised.

He was then reassigned to positions where he could do little harm.

Apparently he is better at starting Churches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_career_of_L._Ron_Hubbard

I miss the Jehovah's Witnesses. They're fun to chat with. And mess with, too. :giggle:
While in Missouri, one couple at the church I'd visit, had a JW couple come by about once a month. They had cookies/cakes and discussed the bible quite indepth.

Then after 5 months, they visited saying "We're not allowed to come here anymore, we're supposed to be converting you. Thank you for your hospitality"

Imagine, their pastor was so afraid of our religion, but our pastor encouraged those discussions!

Here's an interesting link that talks in more detail about Scientology and their connection to seafaring ways.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/03/world/scientology-cruise-ship/index.html#:~:text=In 1985, the church reportedly,no other place on Earth.
Just one little excerpt-

"In 2011, an Australian woman said she was taken aboard the ship for what she thought was a two-week vacation. But it turned into a 12-year-long form of indentured servitude, the woman alleged. "

I can easily discuss any religion with respect. I simply know almost nothing about this one, except to name a very few celebs that reportedly are members or past-members of it.

For me, it's Jesus. I think it's the "scientology" part of this that I don't have a clue about, but I sure do know that a couple of the celebrities that are in it, reporedly, are kind and very likeable.

I can easily discuss any religion with respect. I simply know almost nothing about this one, except to name a very few celebs that reportedly are members or past-members of it.

For me, it's Jesus. I think it's the "scientology" part of this that I don't have a clue about, but I sure do know that a couple of the celebrities that are in it, reporedly, are kind and very likeable.
If you're interested in knowing more about Scientology, do some online research. You'll be shocked at what a horrible cult it is.

Why do humans find it neccessary to be dictated how to live? It is as if from youth to adult humans cannot think for themselves taking responsibility and being accountable for what they do and think.

I don’t know how to think for myself, independent of influence and what I think is expected of me since birth. When comes a time in life do humans realize they know as much as the next person so clergymen, preachers, pastors and missionaries would not deem it necessary for worldwide conversion, perhaps humans no longer would need the church of religion.

I may be the most favorably disposed toward religion agnostic non believer you will ever meet. But I’d advise looking into this one very cautiously for many of the reasons already given. Religion doesn’t have to be a craven sham but this one is abhorrent IMO.

Back