The meal of Liver and Onions and why you like or don't like?

Love it, beef calf liver and onions fried in bacon grease! Growing up my mom and I liked it and my dad and sister hated it, so mom would make two courses for dinner sometimes. Later in life my wife does not like it. My mom, when living would have us over and make it for us, and something else for my wife. Since mom passed away, I have had none. Most restaurants use regular beef liver, and it is much stronger tasting. If I really get desperate, I will get some and fix it for myself, but I guess I am not their yet...

The only place I ever had it was in the service. Didn't care for it. When I was a kid and having chicken with the family, my father loved the giblets...neck and all. I had the heart and it wasn't bad. Today though, I'm not interested in organ meats of any kind.

I've enjoyed liver and onions all my life. My Mom used to make it every 2 or 3 weeks, and my wife make it about once a month. There's a restaurant about 50 miles away that we visit when in that area that makes excellent liver....they don't even need to bring me a menu.

My mother used to fix it with onions, mushrooms , bacon or any combination about once a month or so when I was growing up, and I liked it. I used to also when there was very high quality meat and fish market near where I lived in Pgh . But it doesn’t seem to be at all popular around here, and I just don’t trust the quality at the supermarkets and it isn’t something I’d order in a restaurant.
Yes, it can be hard to find. In my small town, only one of the 2 stores sells liver. In the small city where I used to shop, I could find only one store that had it.

I sure wouldn't expect to see it in a restaurant.

I love liver, but I rarely see it for sale. My college boyfriend's mom loved it too. She'd buy it when I came to visit because she loved the way I prepared it with bacon and onions. The turkey farm I go to makes a delicious turkey liver pâté.

I discovered that over-cooked liver is that sour abomination I couldn't eat as a child. Coated in Italian crumbs and lightly fried in olive oil until just blush pink tastes great.

I still won't eat it due to my psychological aversion to offal.

Last edited:
I tried this as a youngster. Didn't care for it. But my dad had a rule. You had to try everything once. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it again. We also tried tongue and heart. Again--no go, but mostly because of the texture. But I will say, I have a very eclectic palate, and outside of those 3, there aren't any other foods I can readily think of that I've tried and not liked.

I like liver and onions... but even better is a recipe I found about 35 years ago for (I know it sounds weird, but it's converted some liver-haters!) Barbecued Liver. It simmers slowly in a homemade bbq sauce and gets so beautifully tender.
This is interesting Kate. Can you share more about how it's actually cooked? Is it cooked on a BBQ or just simmered in BBQ sauce in the oven or a crock pot or what? Sounds like something I might like to try 😋

I like liver but find if I order it at a restaurant it's often over cooked, at least for my liking, and that 's a turn-off for me so I don't often order it unless I know the place.

I like liver and onions... but even better is a recipe I found about 35 years ago for (I know it sounds weird, but it's converted some liver-haters!) Barbecued Liver. It simmers slowly in a homemade bbq sauce and gets so beautifully tender.
Well, I'd be willing to try. For me I like Kielbasa and sauerkraut and do like onions too, but the texture/taste of liver just "Eewwwe"

Back