The Tacky History of the Pink Flamingo

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Have you ever owned a pair of these birds? ....WHY?:)

First designed in 1957, the fake birds are natives not of Florida but of Leominster, Massachusetts, which bills itself as the Plastics Capital of the World. At a nearby art school, sculptor Don Featherstone was hired by the plastics company Union Products, where his second assignment was to sculpt a pink flamingo. No live models presented themselves, so he unearthed a National Geographic photo spread. It took about two weeks to model both halves of the bird, brought into the third dimension by then-revolutionary injection-mold technology.

A flamingo-friendly trend was the sameness of post-World War II construction. Units in new subdivisions sometimes looked virtually identical. “You had to mark your house somehow,” Featherstone says. “A woman could pick up a flamingo at the store and come home with a piece of tropical elegance under her arm to change her humdrum house.” Also, “people just thought it was pretty,” adds Featherstone’s wife, Nancy.

That soon changed. Twenty-somethings of the Woodstock era romanticized nature and scorned plastics (à la The Graduate). Cast in flaming pink polyethylene, the flamingo became an emblem of what Nancy delicately calls the “T-word”—tackiness. Sears eventually dropped the tchotchkes from its catalog.

National-Treasure-pink-flamingo-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Hey, I like them! They're neat looking! And they're useful! You can ... um ... they can ... errrr ...

Well, I like 'em!

When I move to Florida, even before I find a place to live, I plan on buying several of them.

My father owned something very similar looking..they were plastic herons..and were supposed to keep real herons from eating his goldfish...

[SIZE=+2][/SIZE][SIZE=+2]So tacky, yet so cool.[/SIZE][SIZE=+2]
http://uselessinformation.org/pink_flamingo/index.html

[/SIZE]
"The pink flamingo is one of those objects that people seem to either love or hate. Considered by some to be a work of art and to others to be visual pollution, this one object stands for everything that is good and bad about our modern society.
Lawn ornaments are nothing new. From marble statues created centuries ago to the Granny Fannies of the late 1980’s, lawn decorations have been around for an eternity. Some compare a lawn without any ornaments to be like a coffee table that is totally empty. (I can't comment here. My coffee table was empty for years. Now it is covered with junk.)
The history of the pink flamingo can be traced back to 1946 when a company called Union Products started manufacturing “Plastics for the Lawn”. Their collection included dogs, ducks, frogs, and even a flamingo. But their products had one problem: They were only two-dimensional.
Hmmm… World peace surely depended on solving this critical problem".

flamingo1.jpg

Here you can only display pink flamingos if you live in a ratty old trailer, with old cars on the yard, and have a brother named BillyBob (who is also married to his sister) and fish with explosives. J/k no attacks please.

Back