The US stands alone re: virus spread

People still are not taking this virus serious. I see many, many adults with no masks while on the streets. Stores pretty much have a no mask, no entry policy in place, but on the sidewalks, people are walking close to one another and no masks. My guess is that they think that because they are outside, they are safe, but nothing could be further from the truth.

If we would all properly mitigate and wear and use our masks appropriately, we could be back on track in 2 weeks, according to the CDC.

This alleged pandemic will become a plague because it is not a health issue, it is a political issue.
It is politicized situation, the citizens will continue to pay the cost.

Don M and Dave A opinions should become national policy.

Close the Schools!

I agree with every word that Don wrote, BUT, where did the "millions" get this idea that the virus was a minor problem? Most reputable health experts that I've heard, here in the U.S. and throughout most of the world seem to have considered it to be a dire threat and in most other countries have managed put in place, measures to control it.
Is there something they know that we don't ( ??) or are we, as a nation, less intelligent than these other populations ?
[/QUOTE]

I am just amazed at the number of people who think that wearing a mask and staying "distant" is a violation of their "Rights". Do these people never watch the news?

I spoke with a person in our state’s HHS department. (I can’t give her name), but she is pretty high up. She told me that people themselves are to blame. They just won’t follow directions. So, what are you going to do?

Yesterday, the Governor placed Pennsylvania back into the yellow and as I did my running today, only about 75% of us had masks on.

New coronavirus cases are picking up at a dangerous pace in much of the Midwest and in areas that had seen apparent progress.​
The seven-day average for new infections is hovering around 65,000 for two weeks in what amounts to a second wave of cases. The U.S. recorded more than 1.9 million new infections in July, nearly 42 percent of the more than 4.5 million cases reported nationwide since the pandemic began and more than double the number documented in any other month, according to a Times database. :(
States like California, which became the first in the U.S. to report more than 500,000 coronavirus cases, and Mississippi and Florida thought they had already seen the worst of it, only to find themselves on a frustrating seesaw. Above, a testing center in Los Angeles.​
And yet rapid testing, which many health officials say is critical to containing the virus, remains an obstacle. Dr. Anthony Fauci told lawmakers on Friday that the U.S. would most likely have a safe and effective coronavirus vaccine by the end of 2020 or early in 2021.​

I spoke with a person in our state’s HHS department. (I can’t give her name), but she is pretty high up. She told me that people themselves are to blame. They just won’t follow directions. So, what are you going to do?

Or sometimes they do follow directions. Here's a heartbreaking account of how the author's father, an Arizona Republican and Trump supporter, believed the advice he got in May from Gov. Ducey and Vice President Pence, that people should not live in fear, it was OK to go out. As he lay dying of Covid, the otherwise healthy 65-year-old man said he felt betrayed. Here's the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...a43bec-cd15-11ea-bc6a-6841b28d9093_story.html

DonM stated, "The "reaction" to this virus, in the U.S., has been minimal, at best, and the numbers are showing the result. Millions of our people seem to think that they are not at risk, and have failed to follow the mask and distancing recommendations, and now we are quite likely going into another spike of this illness. "

I agree with every word that Don wrote, BUT, where did the "millions" get this idea that the virus was a minor problem? Most reputable health experts that I've heard, here in the U.S. and throughout most of the world seem to have considered it to be a dire threat and in most other countries have managed put in place, measures to control it.

Is there something they know that we don't ( ??) or are we, as a nation, less intelligent than these other populations ?
Here is one troubling example I came across.

DonM stated, "The "reaction" to this virus, in the U.S., has been minimal, at best, and the numbers are showing the result. Millions of our people seem to think that they are not at risk, and have failed to follow the mask and distancing recommendations, and now we are quite likely going into another spike of this illness. "

I hope I am not being offensive here but looking on from the outside I see the US as being fatally divided in that there seems to be no capacity for coming together as one people in the face of this epidemic. It seems to me that individualism does not help when fighting a virus any more than it helps when fighting an external enemy nation or toxic ideology. States rights and individual preferences have to take second place to pulling together as one people, as Americans. "Together we stand, divided we fall", is still as true today as it has been in past times of crisis.

Last edited:
I hope I am not being offensive here but looking on from the outside I see the US as being fatally divided in that there seems to be no capacity for coming together as one people in the face of this epidemic. It seems to me that individualism does not help when fighting a virus any more than it helps when fighting an external enemy nation or toxic ideology. States rights and individual preferences have to take second place to pulling together as one people, as Americans. "Together we stand, divided we fall", is still as true today as it has been in past times of crisis.
Not so much offensive as accurate.

It would be easy for me to be complacent about this, as virtually everybody I see outside of my home is wearing a mask. But it isn't that simple. Although our county, which is the state's largest jurisdiction, has mandated that the public schools cannot reopen yet, our governor is at odds with them, saying they have gone too far in not allowing the private schools to reopen. So it appears to be a battle between our County Executive and our Governor, who has strong support from the Catholic schools.

What I can't understand is why any parent would want their child to go to school in person right now. It isn't only a disease of old people.

opening the schools is the height of lunacy, perhaps children are less likely to suffer
ill effects from the plague-but their carries of the virus.
go on show us more of inadequate, ill planed (if there are any plans) ill informed illusions our alleged safeguarding net is...

Last edited:
It would be easy for me to be complacent about this, as virtually everybody I see outside of my home is wearing a mask. But it isn't that simple. Although our county, which is the state's largest jurisdiction, has mandated that the public schools cannot reopen yet, our governor is at odds with them, saying they have gone too far in not allowing the private schools to reopen. So it appears to be a battle between our County Executive and our Governor, who has strong support from the Catholic schools.

What I can't understand is why any parent would want their child to go to school in person right now. It isn't only a disease of old people.
My daughter is home schooling hers. The rest of my grands are virtual schooling. It just makes the most sense.

We have a lot of stubborn stupid people in this country

Yesterday, the Governor placed Pennsylvania back into the yellow and as I did my running today, only about 75% of us had masks on.
Well we have discovered asking that 25% to do what should be done isn't the thing to do. Best to ignore them & hope that you & the other 75% don't fall ill. Hope in one hand potential for virus in the other which will survive?

Answering this would be against forum policy but I think most know the reason why.

Back