The Vietnam War

Heard of the guy who got hold of these maps during a therapy session. Lot's of good info there. Iron triangle was basically my AO.

http://www.rjsmith.com/topo_map.html
Now I know who to ask. :) The only thing I know about the south was flying into Saigon and getting my first taste of that awful "recombined milk"! Phooey! I never touched it again.

Can anyone access those? There are two more maps that I'd really, really, really, really, really, really like to find. :)
If you go to that link, and scroll down, you'll see a whole lot of maps. He doesn't sell maps, but, bookmark the page and your good to go. I know it has helped me remember names of long forgotten villages.

If you go to that link, and scroll down, you'll see a whole lot of maps. He doesn't sell maps, but, bookmark the page and your good to go. I know it has helped me remember names of long forgotten villages.
Thank you! I'm on my way! I too have forgotten many things. Terms for example ... I remember what "being short" and ETS meant but I don't remember if they applied to discharge or leaving Vietnam ... or both. I do recall getting our port call three days before leaving Vietnam, giving us those three days to "clear base", in other words, "three days and a wake-up!"

EDIT: I found the two maps I was looking for! I wanted to thank Ray personally but his "E-Mail Me" button doesn't seem to be in service. Thanks, bro! (y)

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm on my way! I too have forgotten many things. Terms for example ... I remember what "being short" and ETS meant but I don't remember if they applied to discharge or leaving Vietnam ... or both. I do recall getting our port call three days before leaving Vietnam, giving us those three days to "clear base", in other words, "three days and a wake-up!"

EDIT: I found the two maps I was looking for! I wanted to thank Ray personally but his "E-Mail Me" button doesn't seem to be in service. Thanks, bro! (y)
Yeah, his email hasn't worked for some time. Some of us just come and go I guess. I'm just glad he left the site up and I hope he's well.

Brings back such sad memories from friends we lost during that war. Thankfully my husband was in the Navy and didn't serve in Vietnam. :cry:
The ship that I served on did go to Vietnam where it served as a floating base for riverine boats. That was years after my time. By that time I was a civilian with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage. I tell folks that I am a Navy veteran, not a war veteran.

Boy, Trax when you start posting you don't mess around.

Old folks like me still have confusion about that damn Asian War.
You post yesterday www.bygone..... # 35 (the farmer with his dead daughter cradled in his arms, attempting to talk to troops in an APC)
So poignant in these times when the nations appeared determined to rattle their sabers over Ukraine-more innocents killed?

(I'''m slowly working my way through your videos)

I hear ya jerry old. The girls are starting to get a little jealous of my time consuming internet blather. You know these scamps. It's all or nothing. Life.

just a little from my book

Two weeks back from leave, doing well in Infantry training, one day I walked into the CO's office ta pick up my mail where I'd been told there was a letter for me. Walking in I could tell something was up because the Gunny was personally holding the already open letter and giving me a stern look. Turned out some of the other guys had opened the letter for a joke because they saw it was from a girl, and it was. The Gunny quietly handed the letter to me, looking at me expectantly, so I started reading.

It was a letter from my sister Nancy saying she was PREGNANT It was good news an' I was pleased ta be an Uncle, but was pretty pissed off 'bout the letter being opened. Figuring I better not say anything about it, I clamped my mouth shut an' looked at the Gunny. When he saw I had no comment he told me we had to go in and see the MAJOR.

Naturally I was thinking to myself What the hell is the big deal 'bout a letter from my sister. I was furious by the time we made it to the Majors office so it was a downright galling and HERCULEAN effort keeping my mouth shut by now. They'd opened my mail an' they were taking ME to the Majors office

Saluting, I stood there stonily silent at full attention while the Gunny explained to the major that the letter indicated I'd gotten my girlfriend pregnant.

My anger all turned to disgust and disbelief in a split second. All I could do was stand there shocked with my mouth open, staring at the Gunny. The Major took the letter an' gave it a cursory glance. I guess he took my shocked look for a confession 'cause then he said, Well son, for the good of the service you're going to have to go home and marry this girl

My head felt like it spun completely around as I threw an even MORE stunned look at the Major. He was nonplussed an' continued like he was asking for a cup of coffee, "We're giving you another thirty days leave

to get the job done and that's an order.

I was past speechless at this point, but another thirty days leave sounded pretty good to me. Sounded like pretty good payback for opening my mail too. All I could do was shake my head an' blink. Finally snapping back to full attention an' giving an enthusiastic Aye Aye SIR , I did a crisp ninety degree turn an' marched out the door.

My SQUAD thought I'd lost my mind when I got there 'cause I must' a laughed my head off for 'bout the whole time I was packing . The stewardesses on the flight home kept an eye on me too, since I couldn't help occasionally giggling for no apparent reason.

My whole family was shocked to see me again an' got a big kick outta my "orders". True to my command I did ask my sister ta marry me right at a family dinner with her husband sitting there about busting a gut laughing . She said she appreciated my generous offer, but declined due to the legal complication of bigamy, an' added that she didn't find me very attractive anyway.

Spending the next thirty days doing my best to fulfill the spirit of the Majors order, I dated as many of the girls, in my neighborhood, as possible, in hopes of finding , some marriage material. Not much luck there, but I did have a wonderful time
https://www.amazon.com/John-R.-Mizell/e/B00H9ZSWNQ?ref_=dbs_p_ebk_r00_abau_000000

Back