Things are Getting a Little Dark

I do go shopping. Just wear a mask indoors only because it's required.
By not being vaccinated, you're 17 times more likely to get seriously ill if you catch covid-19 and 20 times more likely to die from it. You're basically playing Russian Roulette every time you go out in public. Why would you do such a thing when you don't have to? Just curious.

By not being vaccinated, you're 17 times more likely to get seriously ill if you catch covid-19 and 20 times more likely to die from it. You're basically playing Russian Roulette every time you go out in public. Why would you do such a thing when you don't have to? Just curious.
^^^^ You may recall I said "Programming works....for some." "LOL - 17 times more likely to get seriously ill, 20 times more likely to die from it."
Where did those magic figures come from? The same place that magic 6-foot Covid distance came from?
More than 99% of people who do get Covid recover.
I've been out & about for over 2 years - long before masks and vaccines.
Everyone in my family has been vaccinated, except me. They've ALL gotten sick. I haven't.
I have several friends who were forced to get vaccinated or lose their jobs. They ALL got Covid & some were very sick. Who's playing "Russian Roulette?"
I have my reasons for not getting vaccinated. None of them have anything to do with being "Antivaxx."
So far, the only people I know who are getting sick are vaccinated.

I posted previously about a good friend who died recently - 64 years old. His doctor recommended a flu shot due to his "Preexisting Condition." He went downhill soon after his shot due to breathing problems - first hospitalized, then a convalescent center, then he died. His doctor then said, "NO Covid shot for you." He also admitted the flu shot was a bad idea for him. Needless to say, his wife (77) refused her doctor's advice to get both a flu shot and Covid shots.

As I said, programming works. For some. You've been programmed to believe the vaccine protects - despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Well, you can't force people to be rational or to believe in science, and we can't seem to stop all the disinformation coming from certain politicians and propaganda outlets. It's Constitutionally protected free speech, I guess.

The government is limited in what it can do to fight the pandemic. They can try to convince people to get vaccinated and wear facemasks. I guess there could be some positive reinforcement for getting vaccinated, like perhaps tax cuts or something. And there could be negative reinforcements for refusing to help out, such as prohibiting the unvaccinated from attending sporting events or restaurants such as what Macron is doing.
Unfortunately, the gov't forgot all about those limits in 2019.

No one needed to be forced to be rational. All anyone needed to do was follow their doctor's instructions and advice. And, as always (and in every other situation, global ones included), doctors are advised through such entities as the AMA, CDC, FDA, WHO, NHI, etc., various esteemed medical journals, and knowledge shared with each other.

The point in discussion (in this case) is not to change matters but simply to discuss them. Many people find comfort in talking with each other about mutual troubles. That's why support groups are so ubiquitous; mutual comfort in dialogue and exchange. It's what people do when troubled, worried or in pain; they talk.

My question for you is this: Why do you not simply ignore the conversation if you don't want to hear about or participate in it? It's easy enough to do.

There are many things I don't care to hear about or discuss... so I don't. :)
I have chosen recently not to participate in any discussion about this particular subject and I do ignore the conversation on here. I am speaking in general. One cannot look at a news source even without being bombarded with this. Further, why does it bother you that I even make my feelings known on this subject? So what? It's my opinion, that's all. You needn't remind me regarding support groups etc. I definitely know how people interact when beset by adversities. I wasn't commenting in order to receive a lecture.

By "losing it" i take it to mean not abiding by good manners.? In my experience this happened to me a lot more in ALL my past ( personally ) than now. I am old with almost no friends, I live in the country, and rarely go into the cement jungle. I use to, and people were losing it reguarilly about all kinds of stuff. Actual fighting was way more prevalent. But, i do think that "losing it" as a society is happening, and at an increasing rate. Something has gone terribly wrong with our trust in government and finding out the "truth" on vital questions we have. ( the pandemics, global warming, extreme weather events, the economy, .... ). It is about 10 months before the mid-term elections. I will venture to guess that the tensions are going to increase, and social protests ( either in the streets or organized social media campaigns ) will divide our country even more. I am going to try to stay out of the whole mess if possible...but I already feel the collateral damage way out here in the sticks.

Anybody over here shouting at staff, even without expletives,
would be shown the door.

If it was in a hospital, the security would take him to their office
to wait for the police, if it was in his own local surgery, he would
be removed from the list, also when they heard from the hospital,
he would have no health cover because of his attitude.

I see no good in picking on a young receptionist, who is taking his
details for the Doctors, it is not their fault for following instructions.

Very bad behaviour.

Mike.

I can certainly understand the frustration. Perhaps people wouldn’t be so angry if the message didn’t keep changing all the time. Get the vaccine and you’ll be ok. Well, maybe not, so get a booster And you’ll be fine. Except maybe not. If you don’t get vaccinated, you’re fired. But if you get covid, you can come back to work if you’re asymptomatic.

Add to that the empty shelves at the store, severe inflation, and the general name calling by politicians, and you’ve got a hot mess.

I have chosen recently not to participate in any discussion about this particular subject and I do ignore the conversation on here. I am speaking in general. One cannot look at a news source even without being bombarded with this. Further, why does it bother you that I even make my feelings known on this subject? So what? It's my opinion, that's all. You needn't remind me regarding support groups etc. I definitely know how people interact when beset by adversities. I wasn't commenting in order to receive a lecture.

"I have chosen recently not to participate in any discussion about this particular subject and I do ignore the conversation on here."
My OP was listed under Discussion about Covid-19, specifically. Even it if popped up in new posts or crossed your line of sight in some other way, there was no need for you to engage.

It doens't bother me that you make your feelings known, sir, other than the fact that your comments detract from rather than add to the conversation. I am merely commenting on the fact that it seems to bother you so much that others want to discuss a certain topic which you do not. Why not, as you say you do, simply not participate?

In any event, I seem to have inadvertently upset you, which was not my intention and for that I apologize. I'm going to leave this right here and comment no further.

Wishing you a good day, Lewkat. :giggle:

It would have been great if everyone, especially the world's governmets, had just listened to actual scientists and actual researchers, and actual doctors working on the actual front lines. And it would have been super great if governments had chosen or created one organization to gather and compile real-time covid data and share it with the world. And I would sure have appreciated unbiased, facts-only news reporting.
Couldn’t agree more!
Seems like every channel has a different “expert” with their own spiel.

By "losing it" i take it to mean not abiding by good manners.? In my experience this happened to me a lot more in ALL my past ( personally ) than now. I am old with almost no friends, I live in the country, and rarely go into the cement jungle. I use to, and people were losing it reguarilly about all kinds of stuff. Actual fighting was way more prevalent. But, i do think that "losing it" as a society is happening, and at an increasing rate. Something has gone terribly wrong with our trust in government and finding out the "truth" on vital questions we have. ( the pandemics, global warming, extreme weather events, the economy, .... ). It is about 10 months before the mid-term elections. I will venture to guess that the tensions are going to increase, and social protests ( either in the streets or organized social media campaigns ) will divide our country even more. I am going to try to stay out of the whole mess if possible...but I already feel the collateral damage way out here in the sticks.
There are so many salient points in this post. This one in particular, "Something has gone terribly wrong with our trust in government and finding out the "truth" on vital questions we have. ( the pandemics, global warming, extreme weather events, the economy, .... )" strikes home with me.

I'm not sure the truth is "findable" anymore or if things have become so convoluted (FUBAR) at this point that there is no truth to be found.

I am also concerned about the further division this will almost certainly cause. We've had the riots, the murder hornets, other things I'm probably forgetting at the moment, which have caused great division (well, maybe the hornets are just scary) and this pandemic is almost certain to cause further dissention. It's disconcerting, but like you, I will likely stay out of it, in a physical sense, as I see nothing but more harm down that road.

I don't know where we're all heading and it does seem pretty gloomy from this angle, but it's possible we could pull a Phoenix-like rise out of this. Maybe we'll all come out super immunized.

Who can say anything for certain at this point?

There are so many salient points in this post. This one in particular, "Something has gone terribly wrong with our trust in government and finding out the "truth" on vital questions we have. ( the pandemics, global warming, extreme weather events, the economy, .... )" strikes home with me.

I'm not sure the truth is "findable" anymore or if things have become so convoluted (FUBAR) at this point that there is no truth to be found.

I am also concerned about the further division this will almost certainly cause. We've had the riots, the murder hornets, other things I'm probably forgetting at the moment, which have caused great division (well, maybe the hornets are just scary) and this pandemic is almost certain to cause further dissention. It's disconcerting, but like you, I will likely stay out of it, in a physical sense, as I see nothing but more harm down that road.

I don't know where we're all heading and it does seem pretty gloomy from this angle, but it's possible we could pull a Phoenix-like rise out of this. Maybe we'll all come out super immunized.

Who can say anything for certain at this point?
IMO, we can be certain we're being lied to.

"I have chosen recently not to participate in any discussion about this particular subject and I do ignore the conversation on here."
My OP was listed under Discussion about Covid-19, specifically. Even it if popped up in new posts or crossed your line of sight in some other way, there was no need for you to engage.

It doens't bother me that you make your feelings known, sir, other than the fact that your comments detract from rather than add to the conversation. I am merely commenting on the fact that it seems to bother you so much that others want to discuss a certain topic which you do not. Why not, as you say you do, simply not participate?

In any event, I seem to have inadvertently upset you, which was not my intention and for that I apologize. I'm going to leave this right here and comment no further.

Wishing you a good day, Lewkat. :giggle:
FYI, I am not a sir.

Some people choose to be misinformed, which is why some of the major propagators of disinformation have the highest ratings of any media outlets. You can't force people to accept reality, as bizarre as that sounds. And until we have a meeting of the minds regarding what constitutes facts, chaos will continue to ensue and even escalate to the extent that people will kill or die for their erroneous beliefs. We've already seen several examples of that in the past few decades, such as with the insurrection last year.

Some people choose to be misinformed, which is why some of the major propagators of disinformation have the highest ratings of any media outlets. You can't force people to accept reality, as bizarre as that sounds. And until we have a meeting of the minds regarding what constitutes facts, chaos will continue to ensue and even escalate to the extent that people will kill or die for their erroneous beliefs. We've already seen several examples of that in the past few decades, such as with the insurrection last year.
"You can't force people to accept reality, as bizarre as that sounds."
It doesn't though, sound bizarre. Confirmation bias is real. And too there's the concept (the fact, really) that people need to keep believing whatever it is they believe because to do otherwise would upset their image of themselves and force them to reevaluate that image, themselves and their place in the world. That's scary, man, and maybe even against human nature, although I'm just guessing at that.

You are right about that, Irwin. Examples in the way-back machine include the Islamic Wars and the Spanish Inquest. But I want to point out that you have fallen victim to a bit of propaganda yourself - you used the word "insurrection" when you referred to a protest. True, that protest was on "federal property", but it's not the first time that's happened. But it's the first time a protest on federal property was characterized as an insurrection.

Times change, though. I think propaganda plays a big part in changing the times. Like, back in the 60s some protesters were sentenced to life in prison for blowing up a police car or two. In these times, no one got a life sentence for burning down entire police stations.

(suddenly, I feel like singing "Dust in the Wind"..lol)

I agree with all the postings, I was noticing even shopping at Wal-Mart which is an experience whenever, more aggression & anger. Driving has always been a defensive activity, but seems to be more speed & tail-gating.
Even long ago there were rude people at WalMart. I stopped going there because of it long before covid. I order from Amazon and no one is going to berate me there for sure.

I'm pretty sure what happened on January 6 last year satisfies the definition of insurrection:
noun​
an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government.​

"protest?" ...
noun​
an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid​

No, the protesters weren't "powerless." They had the power of their vote. They just didn't like what the majority decided and threw a giant hissy-fit.

So my question to you is: Do you watch Fox News?
I like the term "giant hissy-fit". Accurately defines both, in my opinion.

You haven't changed my mind about the use of the word insurrection by the mainstream media. It has nothing to do with Webster or Oxford, it's purposefully strategic.

I don't watch Fox News. I don't watch the others mentioned in your post, either, or any opinion pieces. Actually, I don't see any differences between mainstream TV news shows and opinion pieces.

I watch and read what check out as reliable, factual, apolitical news sources, and I especially like the few that report the news with a little humor.

But it occurs to me now that it might also be a sign of the times. An indicator of the general fear and frustration we are all beginning to feel with the Covid situation, from the disease itself to the way it's being addressed and presented.
I think it started before covid, hate crimes were increasing before it anyway, but all the politicizing of covid looks like added more types of people for other people to hate.
Though maybe this is nothing new and one of those pendulum things that will eventually go the other way. I think historically there have been plenty of periods of hate and upset. I remember my Dad thinking people killing long haired hippies were not doing anything bad (then his own three kids turned into long haired teenagers and he had to change his thinking on that!).
I was a little too young to understand some sort of riots that happened in the late 60s or early 70s, but in a vague way I think things were pretty crazy for a while but eventually calmed down.
Even government showing up with needles isn't new, I remember in elementary school some people (presumably somehow related to some arm of some level of government) showed up every year and injected TB antigen stuff into the inside of our forearms (if I'm remembering correctly, so long ago) and then must have come back to check if we showed any sign of having TB. As far as I know there was no resistance to that health measure, though eventually it stopped, I don't know why, perhaps public resistance, or maybe TB went away.

I think it started before covid, hate crimes were increasing before it anyway, but all the politicizing of covid looks like added more types of people for other people to hate.
Though maybe this is nothing new and one of those pendulum things that will eventually go the other way. I think historically there have been plenty of periods of hate and upset. I remember my Dad thinking people killing long haired hippies were not doing anything bad (then his own three kids turned into long haired teenagers and he had to change his thinking on that!).
I was a little too young to understand some sort of riots that happened in the late 60s or early 70s, but in a vague way I think things were pretty crazy for a while but eventually calmed down.
Even government showing up with needles isn't new, I remember in elementary school some people (presumably somehow related to some arm of some level of government) showed up every year and injected TB antigen stuff into the inside of our forearms (if I'm remembering correctly, so long ago) and then must have come back to check if we showed any sign of having TB. As far as I know there was no resistance to that health measure, though eventually it stopped, I don't know why, perhaps public resistance, or maybe TB went away.
Do you remember getting the Polio vaccine at school? All of us, of a certain age, I think, have that scar on our shoulders. I remember lining up for that vac at the nurse's office in elementary school.

When my son, who is now 20, was a baby getting his vacs, I was thrilled to learn they had developed one for Chicken Pox. Not only will my son never have to have Chicken Pox, but he won't have to get Shingles either (just had the vacs for those last year - rough).

It is sad, they way some people react when things like this happen, the hate crimes, I mean, the rioting. What does that solve? Who does it help? I understand people are frustrated but that's not an excuse for a lack of basic decency and some displays of appalling ignorance (hate crimes).

Lois, I actually defended you in my previous post. I agree with you. You are spot on! (y)

https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/things-are-getting-a-little-dark.67757/page-2

Back