Things from your childhood that would baffle young people of today

When us kids said gay, it meant we were happy.
We said the pledge to the flag every morning.
We rode our bikes to school and didn’t lock them up.
Marble games during recess.
Yo-yos were the rage.
Pea shooters.
Hung baskets of flowers and candy on our girlfriends door on May Day.
Got our pants caught in the bike chain quite often.
Had nickel popsicles with 2 sticks so you could share.
Saved baseball cards, or used them on our bike wheels to sound like a motor.

I had forgotten about sharing popsicles.

PopsicleBuck.jpeg
5990e42d62381956508b4582.w800.jpg

Ask any child today who Nora is and they will probably think you mean a TV, film or book character. Ask any of my cohorts when I was a small boy at school and they will all tell you that Nora was the nit nurse. We used to have a regular visit at school by a nurse, she would examine the hair of each child looking out for head lice, or as we all called them nits.
So how did the nurse come by the sobriquet, Nora? Kids being kids would say that she was: "Nitty Nora, the bug explorer."

Yeah; called Prem in Canada but Spam elsewhere. I too liked it fried or cooked over a campfire when I was a kid. Cheap and cheerful food product. Haven't had it in decades. Don't even know if it's still around.

It's odd how food product names, and actual ingredients, in Canada are often different elsewhere even though the same company makes the item world wide. Take Kraft Dinner for instance. That's the Canadian name but in the US it's called Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. In taste test comparisons (You Tube), it seems the Canadian version is better tasting. It's all in the cheese powder 😋
Anyway, I digress .... back to thread topic ;)
Prem is still around, MrPants! :)

Haven't had it in ages. As for Kraft Dinner, very interesting. Must be the Canadian cheddar they use in it. LOL!

Grade school cookie moms!

Thinking about how lucky I was to grow up in a time when the local cookie moms, mine included, found the time and the money in the food budget to make sure that we always had a special treat for various school events.

bake-sale-the-1940s-33864461-909-673.jpg
il_570xN.1851511310_5dzv.jpg
I never forgot about the school-grade cookie and square moms when I was growing up and in elementary school.

My mom didn't have the means, but I certainly do remember a few kids arriving at school with a little something their moms had so graciously prepared for the class, especially for those special times throughout the year such as Christmas.

Ask any child today who Nora is and they will probably think you mean a TV, film or book character. Ask any of my cohorts when I was a small boy at school and they will all tell you that Nora was the nit nurse. We used to have a regular visit at school by a nurse, she would examine the hair of each child looking out for head lice, or as we all called them nits.
So how did the nurse come by the sobriquet, Nora? Kids being kids would say that she was: "Nitty Nora, the bug explorer."
ha ! I never knew why she was always called Nora, ....that's enlightened me after all these years...

How about the old washboards. I had one on my clubhouse door saying no girls allowed. Then I grew up. o_O

View attachment 148459
when I was little and before my mother had a single tub washing machine with a wringer... ( we were poor).. she would scrub the clothes for 6 people on one of those, and her knuckles were always red raw..., I still remember the smell of the sunlight soap

this is similar to the mangle my mum had clamped to the sink ( this was in the 60's..as I said, we were poor).. she would fold the sheets and feed them into the mangle and I would have to turn the handle...very tough job when you're 11 or 12 years old years old...

VTG-1950s-ACME-WORKTOP-WRINGER-MANGLE-BELFAST-SINK.jpg

then she was given a single tub with a smaller mangle.. took ages to wash for 6 people, we'd have to fill it, and wash the whites, then empty and refill and wash coloureds , then empty and refill and wash towels etc.. and that thing would dance around the kitchen like Fred Astaire on speed.. but at least it saved her knuckles...

chestermikeuk++8-20-2010-18-01-6.jpg

Back