Things that have Changed for the Better in the last 100 Years

hearlady

Ready for Spring!
Just as a start..........

At one time women couldn't vote in this country.

We smoked in airplanes!

There were separate water fountains for blacks and whites.

Last edited:
Moderators can you change the title to "Things that have changed for the Better in this Country".

Yep, caught the dumbness.

How deeply into our history are you hoping to tread with this topic?
I guess because of "the cake" thread I was reminded we are evolving all the time.
If we didn't change the things that I posted they might still be occurring.
I would stick with the last 100 years.

I remember going to the library and using the card catalogs to find a book. Now we just Google!

edited to add - and in the little hamlet where I grew up, a "mixed marriage" was when a Baptist married a Methodist.

Don't you think our cars have changed for the better?
While they're not the huge metal behemoths they used to be and they can be almost insanely expensive, there's a dealer across from my bank,and I look at their 50-60k price tags and remember my parents bought a brand new house for 13k
But they're so much safer,my Sentra has airbags everywhere, the gas mileage is very good unless you're driving a huge SUV..
Just a thought

While they're not the huge metal behemoths they used to be and they can be almost insanely expensive, there's a dealer across from my bank,and I look at their 50-60k price tags and remember my parents bought a brand new house for 13k
But they're so much safer,my Sentra has airbags everywhere, the gas mileage is very good unless you're driving a huge SUV..
Just a thought

So true. Plus they aren't constantly breaking down. I remember the days of conked out cars scattered in traffic lanes and shoulders during rush hour. That's a rare sight these days.

I have the bill of sale for the Chevy that my father bought new in 1937 for $700. They paid $3500 for the house that I grew up in. It was listed online about 2 years ago for $490,000. My first house was waterfront and cost us $14000.

I have the bill of sale for the Chevy that my father bought new in 1937 for $700. They paid $3500 for the house that I grew up in. It was listed online about 2 years ago for $490,000. My first house was waterfront and cost us $14000.

The problem with comparing the low prices of years gone by, is they were all accompanied by the same low wages. So when a new car cost $700.00, what was the average yearly salary of say a carpenter back then? They most likely had to work more hours then to buy a new car, than they do now.

More about visual better would be the change from ladies swimwear in the 1920's to today's women's thong swimwear.

There's always a price but think about the days of cloth diapers and feminine issues.
I used cloth diapers but the first time I tried a Pamper I never went back.
Sanitizing wipes, disinfecting cloths.
The price is the landfill but they are soooo nice.
I don't use them all the time but they are handy.

fmdog, I agree about the dentist!

Here's a minor improvement: I wanted to get a bag of little stones to use in potting plants. I went to the Home Depot, and they had bags of stones, but they were all large, and I literally couldn't even
lift them. I went home, looked it up on Amazon, and found small bags of stones for $6.99 - exactly what I wanted! I have Amazon Prime, so there's no delivery charge. I ordered a bag, and voila, problem
solved!

Here's something else that's improved: when my mother went out of the house for any reason whatsoever, she had to put on a girdle, stockings, a dress, and some (probably) uncomfortable shoes. Whereas I can
go out in literally anything!

Television sets and microwave ovens. In the 60's my mother bought a 14" portable RCA color TV. It weighed a ton, and had no remote. The picture was horrible, and you could have any color you wanted as long as it was red, green, or blue. It cost $368.00 back then. Today I saw a 65" LED flat screen at Wal-Mart for $650.00.

Back in the 60's a small sandwich shop down the street from where we lived had a microwave oven for heating food. We were amazed how fast it worked. The owner told us it cost almost $1,000.00. Last month I replaced our counter top model for $65.00.

Even before I clicked on this topic... I made a bet with myself that
most of what some call "better"... from my perspective is "worse."

And look at the ability we now have, thanks to the internet, to reach out to each other all over the world and have this kind of discussion!

Back