Things we remember that don't happen anymore.

chic

SF VIP
I was thinking of when I was a kid learning to ride a two wheel bike. I wasn't very good at braking, so when my friends encouraged me to go full speed down a hill I did and crashed into a chain link fence blackening my eye in the process. After the crash we went to my friend's house where her mom took a look at my swollen eye, went to the refrigerator and slapped a cold steak on it. It was the sixties and meat was obviously cheap back then unlike now. I never hear of doing this anymore but it was done a lot in the old days. Remember? 🤔

The idea behind putting a steak on your eye is, because the meat has been sitting in a refrigerator or freezer, it's nice and cold and will help the swelling and bruising go down by constricting blood vessels and decreasing inflammation.

What for me that doesn't happen anymore, I don't get to hop on a bus and take my seat. There was a time when a bus conductor would come along and collect my fare. Nowadays I have to pay the driver, the bus can be at a bus stop for an eternity, which is why I avoid bus travel.

I was thinking of when I was a kid learning to ride a two wheel bike. I wasn't very good at braking, so when my friends encouraged me to go full speed down a hill I did and crashed into a chain link fence blackening my eye in the process. After the crash we went to my friend's house where her mom took a look at my swollen eye, went to the refrigerator and slapped a cold steak on it. It was the sixties and meat was obviously cheap back then unlike now. I never hear of doing this anymore but it was done a lot in the old days. Remember? 🤔
Yes I remember that well... my mum was a nurse and she would always recommend a steak or a piece of raw red meat for bruising or swelling...

The idea behind putting a steak on your eye is, because the meat has been sitting in a refrigerator or freezer, it's nice and cold and will help the swelling and bruising go down by constricting blood vessels and decreasing inflammation.

What for me that doesn't happen anymore, I don't get to hop on a bus and take my seat. There was a time when a bus conductor would come along and collect my fare. Nowadays I have to pay the driver, the bus can be at a bus stop for an eternity, which is why I avoid bus travel.
I haven't been on a bus in this country for a very long time... you've had to pay the driver since I was a kid..I know that because my father was first a bus conductor then when 'automatic' buses became a thing he became the Driver.. and he took the fares on entry , there was no longer a need for a conductor, and I was only about 14..so over 50 years ago...

I remember buses allowing smoking upstairs, and hospitals allowing smoking by the patients bedside...

I haven't been on a bus in this country for a very long time... you've had to pay the driver since I was a kid..I know that because my father was first a bus conductor then when 'automatic' buses became a thing he became the Driver.. and he took the fares on entry , there was no longer a need for a conductor, and I was only about 14..so over 50 years ago...

I remember buses allowing smoking upstairs, and hospitals allowing smoking by the patients bedside...
Yes, I remember that too. A person could smoke everywhere, in movie theaters on buses, in restaurants on airplanes, it's hard to think of a place where people couldn't smoke.

I remember being told that a girl can't be President. That she should find a man to take care of her.
Same with prime minister in the UK... never be a woman leader etc.. despite us having a Female as a Sovereign ruler ... but Margaret Thatcher sure blew that theory out of the window.. served 3 continueous terms in office..longer than any other prime minister in over a 100 years ...

Yes, I remember that too. A person could smoke everywhere, in movie theaters on buses, in restaurants on airplanes, it's hard to think of a place where people couldn't smoke.
I remember going to restaurants when I was younger, and opting to sit in the nonsmoking area. Now, nobody smokes in restaurants. I am grateful for that because I get respiratory problems when inhaling smoke. So when we visited Europe a few years back and went to a coffee shop and everyone was smoking, I got up and left. Couldn't handle the smoke!

Flying. I remember when there were no security measures required. I traveled to visit my grandparents when I was 14 years old and my parents accompanied me to the gate. I could bring whatever I wanted on the flight and it was never searched. Also, there were still people in the back of the plane that were smoking on the flight. Distant memory.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpg
Do you remember the joy and anticipation of collecting your latest pack of photographic prints from the shop? In the UK we would take the spool of film for developing to either a photographic shop, where cameras and photograph paraphernalia was sold, or we would take them to a pharmacy, which was always colloquially known as "The Chemist Shop."

Remember too, the disappointment when some of them hadn’t turned out well, finger in front of lens, subject moved, over-exposed etc.? But they all had to be paid for, and the film had to be bought in the first place. We were so careful not waste shots (exposures!)

Do you remember, also, winding the start of the film onto the spool in the camera, taking great care not to let light into the film accidentally?

Flying. I remember when there were no security measures required. I traveled to visit my grandparents when I was 14 years old and my parents accompanied me to the gate. I could bring whatever I wanted on the flight and it was never searched. Also, there were still people in the back of the plane that were smoking on the flight. Distant memory.
Ditto. I flew everywhere in the old days. Now, meh.

Someone knocking on the door asking to use the telephone when their car broke down.
Something like that happened here a couple of years back.

Dark out. Temperature in the 30s. Light rain falling. Dog barking. My wife went to the back door to shush him. Called for me.

There was a guy standing near the end of our house and he called out asking to use our phone. No coat. Sounded sober and reasonable.

I opened the door going from the house into our garage and then put up the garage door. He stood just outside the garage and explained that he had been walking on a nearby trail and was lost. He was obviously very, very cold. I told him to step into the garage.

He explained that he had had a big argument with his girlfriend and just started walking. He needed to call someone to come pick him up. Not many houses where we live. He had probably walked four or five miles.

I handed him the phone while my wife went in to get a blanket and a cup of hot soup for him. He called his brother and then he talked about his situation while we waited for his ride. The brother arrived after about 15 minutes and they left.

I could only think "There but for the grace of God go I".

Yes I remember that well... my mum was a nurse and she would always recommend a steak or a piece of raw red meat for bruising or swelling...
Nowadays some recommend a package of frozen peas or the like--same principle. Also there things made to be ice packs that are actually pretty cheap.

Back