Things we remember that don't happen anymore.

Something like that happened here a couple of years back.

Dark out. Temperature in the 30s. Light rain falling. Dog barking. My wife went to the back door to shush him. Called for me.

There was a guy standing near the end of our house and he called out asking to use our phone. No coat. Sounded sober and reasonable.

I opened the door going from the house into our garage and then put up the garage door. He stood just outside the garage and explained that he had been walking on a nearby trail and was lost. He was obviously very, very cold. I told him to step into the garage.

He explained that he had had a big argument with his girlfriend and just started walking. He needed to call someone to come pick him up. Not many houses where we live. He had probably walked four or five miles.

I handed him the phone while my wife went in to get a blanket and a cup of hot soup for him. He called his brother and then he talked about his situation while we waited for his ride. The brother arrived after about 15 minutes and they left.

I could only think "There but for the grace of God go I".
" Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares ".

View attachment 194475View attachment 194476
Do you remember the joy and anticipation of collecting your latest pack of photographic prints from the shop? In the UK we would take the spool of film for developing to either a photographic shop, where cameras and photograph paraphernalia was sold, or we would take them to a pharmacy, which was always colloquially known as "The Chemist Shop."

Remember too, the disappointment when some of them hadn’t turned out well, finger in front of lens, subject moved, over-exposed etc.? But they all had to be paid for, and the film had to be bought in the first place. We were so careful not waste shots (exposures!)

Do you remember, also, winding the start of the film onto the spool in the camera, taking great care not to let light into the film accidentally?
Absolutely. My dad left this behind when he passed 21 years ago. A true classic.IMG_0691.jpg

I remember nurses taking the flowers and plants out of the hospital room so that they wouldn't use up the oxygen! I had my appendix taken out when I was just 8. My grandmother was the head nurse at the hospital and she came bouncing in to take my cut flowers and a geranium plant out to the hall.

When's the last time you were part of a group in a sing-along?

When I was a girl scout we'd have taffy pulls. My DGD asked me "What's a taffy pull?"

Christmas carolers. Don't see (or hear!) them anymore.

I can remember that my mother threw me outside to play as a young boy in the summer without a shirt on, and of course without any sun lotion whatsoever. She wanted me to get a tan, which she claimed was “cold insurance.” I still got colds as a kid, so I guess it was a bad insurance policy. Tans were considered healthy then, and lots of people smoked! Today, kids on the beach or getting any sun exposure are lathered up but good with suntan lotion with high SPF ratings.

I was also sent outside to play in the coldest winter weather. Maybe Mom thought hypothermia would kill me off if skin cancer didn’t…😸

Eating at a diner that had a mini jukebox right on the table.

View attachment 194895
I saw it a couple of years ago at a "Silver Diner" and we put a quarter in it to listen to old songs. When you walk into the diner, you feel as if you've gone back in time. Old songs are playing overhead. They decorated it with old photos. Of course, this isn't a common occurrence in restaurants, but this diner was built with these jukeboxes at the tables, based on the oldies theme.:)

My Grandmother raise me and her remedy for a burn was to put butter on it.
In later years I wondered about that.
Would it in fact be frying the skin?
Exactly! Somehow, we had that remedy too. But since then, I found out the best way to treat a burn is to immediately put in
cold water. 20 minutes later, you hardly have any traces of the burn. :)

I remember being told that a girl can't be President. That she should find a man to take care of her.
I was told by my dad that girls only went to college to get their MRS. He changed his mind when his third daughter was born when I was 25. I was glad he did, because it meant he could change his opinion. The only detriment was he wouldn't pay for my college, as required by his divorce decree. But that's okay. I paid for it myself.

As far as not knowing the neighbors goes, that has been true for me, with a few exceptions. Now I live in a neighborhood in which plenty of seniors are aging in place. Everyone is friendly. I am looking forward to being able meet a lot of them. It will be easy as they are always working in their yards in good weather.

Last edited:
I was thinking of when I was a kid learning to ride a two wheel bike. I wasn't very good at braking, so when my friends encouraged me to go full speed down a hill I did and crashed into a chain link fence blackening my eye in the process. After the crash we went to my friend's house where her mom took a look at my swollen eye, went to the refrigerator and slapped a cold steak on it. It was the sixties and meat was obviously cheap back then unlike now. I never hear of doing this anymore but it was done a lot in the old days. Remember? 🤔
Today it would be a bag of frozen peas or something. ($1.19)

If you'd really been hurt and you were somewhere out in the sticks (as we used to say), someone would have had to run a marathon to the nearest phone. Don't have to do that anymore.

Back