Things we remember that don't happen anymore.

I haven't been on a bus in this country for a very long time... you've had to pay the driver since I was a kid..I know that because my father was first a bus conductor then when 'automatic' buses became a thing he became the Driver.. and he took the fares on entry , there was no longer a need for a conductor, and I was only about 14..so over 50 years ago...

I remember buses allowing smoking upstairs, and hospitals allowing smoking by the patients bedside...
My auntie was a clippie on the buses, she met her future husband on a bus as he was the driver 🤗

Something like that happened here a couple of years back.

Dark out. Temperature in the 30s. Light rain falling. Dog barking. My wife went to the back door to shush him. Called for me.

There was a guy standing near the end of our house and he called out asking to use our phone. No coat. Sounded sober and reasonable.

I opened the door going from the house into our garage and then put up the garage door. He stood just outside the garage and explained that he had been walking on a nearby trail and was lost. He was obviously very, very cold. I told him to step into the garage.

He explained that he had had a big argument with his girlfriend and just started walking. He needed to call someone to come pick him up. Not many houses where we live. He had probably walked four or five miles.

I handed him the phone while my wife went in to get a blanket and a cup of hot soup for him. He called his brother and then he talked about his situation while we waited for his ride. The brother arrived after about 15 minutes and they left.

I could only think "There but for the grace of God go I".
You are a kind soul. Nice to see these things still happen these days. Enjoy this video. It melted my heart. This girl is adorable. Who wouldn't take her in?

I haven't been on a bus in this country for a very long time... you've had to pay the driver since I was a kid..I know that because my father was first a bus conductor then when 'automatic' buses became a thing he became the Driver.. and he took the fares on entry , there was no longer a need for a conductor, and I was only about 14..so over 50 years ago...

I remember buses allowing smoking upstairs, and hospitals allowing smoking by the patients bedside...
Didn't realise it was that long ago, but you are correct. It was mid 1970's when I was travelling by bus daily to Luton that Clippies were phased out.

I remember having out groceries packed in the old boxes the store had around and kids taking them out to the car.
Plugging watermelons is a thing of the past also.
Nurses would put the patients plants and flowers in the hallway at night. It was thought that the plants took oxygen away from the patients.
My first job as a teenager was to take grocery "orders" around our town with what we called a "trade bike" with a carrier on the front, was hard work too!

I remember that laundry day was an all day affair....we'd go into town to this building that had about 20 washing machines each had 2 rinse tubs with a concrete drain under each row...after the clothes were washed we'd take them home and hang them up on the clothes line, right before dark we'd take them in, my dad's pants were on metal stretchers so they did not have to be ironed, the other clothes that had to be ironed were sprinkled with water rolled up and put in the fridge to be ironed later......in later years we had our own washing machine..to save my poor mom some time... :rolleyes:....Jeez and people think we're having hard times now??

I brought my first car for 25 dollars at nine years old, worked at a cabent shop sweeping floors for two dollars a day to save up the money, had to set on two pillows to see inbetween the steering wheel, drove mom to town everyweek

Monday was wash day..and hang it out "on the clothesline".
Even in the winter..they would freeze up..you'd take them down and rehang
In the basement.
Good ole days? Not!
Don't miss!

An enterprising chippy owner has started doing that during the pandemic. People couldn't go the shop....so he hired a generator and took the chippy to them.
I remember when we had grocery Vans who used to come door to door.... you could actually step inside, and they had a little serving counter... looked like this...

images

I remember when we had grocery Vans who used to come door to door.... you could actually step inside, and they had a little serving counter... looked like this...

images
We had one of those when I was a kid.The guy who run it was known as ‘Joe Soap’.And Ron Dixon had one on Brookside :)

We had one of those when I was a kid.The guy who run it was known as ‘Joe Soap’.And Ron Dixon had one on Brookside :)
yes we had one that came here too... the owner had a convenience store in the next village, and he would come here twice a week..Weds & Sats.. in fact it's only about 25 years ago since he stopped after selling his shop in the village...

Equally my ex husband was the Butchers' boy when we met in the early 70's .. he delivered fresh meat in a butchers van from the Butcher shop where he worked in the local market town ...

Waiting for Mrs. Baumgardner to get off the party line. Mike
We had an old lady on our "party line" who would listen in to everyone's conversations. You could hear her breathing or sometimes gasping if there was something scandalous or exciting said.

My dad would say, "Mrs. Fredericktown, get off the line!" and she'd exclaim indignantly, "I'm not listening!!!"

It was probably the high point of her day, poor old dear.

Things we remember that don't happen anymore.

Housewives/mothers, used to come out of their houses, and any kids from the area who were misbehaving got a fourpenny one and told to behave. Up until the age of about twelve, I got a fourpenny one most days. 😊

Back