This didn't even get one look on Marketplace

I had been collecting Waterford crystal for many years but stopped a couple of years ago when I realized that the "grands" were not interested in things like that. I am going to pack most of it up and see if I can sell it at a local resale shop. Meanwhile I am going to enjoy it for myself.
even my DD at 46 is not interested in any of my things. She's very much, a modern in the moment type of person.. tho' not wasteful.. she pays a lot for her things, then keeps them for a long time. Despite my things being good quality and modern she's not interested in the same things as me..

That said she's asked me if she can have my Picasso for her new house.. and a very beautiful leather based lamp, I've had in a bedroom for some years..

Perhaps folks are thinking about their limited counter space. Many of us have multiple appliances taking up room in our kitchen. Someone offered me a free air-fryer last year and, as much as I wanted one, I just didn't have a place to put it.
I know. I wouldn't mind a toaster oven. No room. But I won't leave a vintage mug behind at the thrift store if it has animals on it and I like the design. I find room.

If you don't like it enough to keep it for FREE, why would you expect someone else to like it for $5.00? :unsure:;):giggle:
That sounds a lot like what I hear from peple that stop at my sale - "If it''s stuff you don't want, you should put it out for free."

I had a big box of free items and nobody took anything. One woman picked up something and the person she was with said an emphatic, "NO!" and she put it back.

That sounds a lot like what I hear from peple that stop at my sale - "If it''s stuff you don't want, you should put it out for free."

I had a big box of free items and nobody took anything. One woman picked up something and the person she was with said an emphatic, "NO!" and she put it back.
I rest my case :)

I got stood up twice today by people who said they were interested in some items I posted on Marketplace. When I asked for an explanation, one said "Something came up", the other said "I'm out of town." The usual lame excuses.
I would imagine that the "audience" on Facebook Marketplace consists of a lot of people whose life consists of little more than "texting" and "tweeting". The Best place for online buying/selling, IMO, is EBAY. I've been using that venue for 20+ years, and had excellent results...even sold a couple of items to buyers in Japan.

I just checked, and there are lots of Vintage cookie jars that have sold there for 100's of dollars. The fact that there are no "markings" on the bottom of your jar is an indication that it might be quite old....and "collectible", and might have a value far more than $5.

But it's worthless unless someone wants it.

It's the hue and cry of appraisers that, "It's worth what someone will pay for it."
Well, how am I supposed to know that 'magic' figure?

What amazes me is the people that park, get out of their cars with their cell phones, walk up one side and down the other without ever taking their eyes off their phones and not trip over or walk into anything. How can they really see what I have unless they look?

On the flip side are the people that get down on their hands and knees or reach over tables to see what is behind or underneath. When I say "Those things aren't for sale", they get miffed.

Last edited:
Did you respond to the person who asked if the cookie jar was still available?

Most unfortunately, when putting things up for sale, you are going to have to deal with all kinds. And yes, people are flakey. I guess that's why I just donate to PAWS.

But it's worthless unless someone wants it.

It's the hue and cry of appraisers that, "It's worth what someone will pay for it."
Well, how am I supposed to know that 'magic' figure?

What amazes me is the people that park, get out of their cars with their cell phones, walk up one side and down the other without ever taking their eyes off their phones and not trip over or walk into anything. How can they really see what I have unless they look?

On the flip side are the people that get down on their hands and knees or reach over tables to see what is behind or underneath. When I say "Those things aren't for sale", they get miffed.

Try a sign:

"No Cell Phone Use While Browsing"
Friday Funny! - Paperblog

Garage Sales are no longer in vogue
for multiple reasons:

Covid...people don't want to touch someone's used stuff

Everyone is downsizing

The "collectible" market is oversaturated...no longer collectible

People want expensive items for nothing at garage sales. They're just there for the game of it.

People want practical stuff that works...not stuff to just look at and dust off

What you don't want, no one else wants

Forget about "what's one man's junk is another man's treasure"...no longer relevant

Young people don't want old stuff.

I suggest you make up box lots and
take them to antique stores and ask them,
"what will you give me for the whole box"

I have a larger question. Why are you wasting your time and effort to sell some piece for $5. Do you not have anything better to do? Or is it part of your idea to do this and post your travails here?

I've been a quilter for many years and have quite a "collection". Unfortunately, the kids aren't interested in them and they will probably end up at Goodwill or in a yard sale when I'm gone. I won't know it or care at that point but when I think of the time and money I invested in making them, it makes me sad to think of their outcome. Yes..I made them for the enjoyment but I know no one appreciates them. I think I'm going to start giving them to nursing homes, etc. At least they'll be used :) I've posted them for sale but they are pricey and people would rather go to WalMart and get a cheap one for their bed for $25.

Back