This didn't even get one look on Marketplace

I've been a quilter for many years and have quite a "collection". Unfortunately, the kids aren't interested in them and they will probably end up at Goodwill or in a yard sale when I'm gone. I won't know it or care at that point but when I think of the time and money I invested in making them, it makes me sad to think of their outcome. Yes..I made them for the enjoyment but I know no one appreciates them. I think I'm going to start giving them to nursing homes, etc. At least they'll be used :) I've posted them for sale but they are pricey and people would rather go to WalMart and get a cheap one for their bed for $25.
@Colleen .. here, there are quilters who donate their quilts to a place that sends them to cancer patients. I don't remember the name anymore, but had one sent to my sister. She, in turn, had one sent to a relative with cancer. Perhaps there is an organization like that where you live.

It isn't just Marketplace and Craig's List where flakes hang out. Today we were supposed to have a baptismal service at church. The service starts at 10am. At 10 after, the pastor announced the service would be delayed because they were waiting for some family members to arrive. At 10:20, someone must have called the late comers and were told to start the service since they weren't sure when they would be there. The service concluded and they still hadn't shown up.

Now if someone invited me to an important thing like that, I'd make jolly well sure I would be there and on time. If it were car trouble, I'd call a taxi. People just act like they don't care about anything. Imagine making a whole congregation wait when they had no intention of attending - their own family, too.

Last edited:
@Colleen .. here, there are quilters who donate their quilts to a place that sends them to cancer patients. I don't remember the name anymore, but had one sent to my sister. She, in turn, had one sent to a relative with cancer. Perhaps there is an organization like that where you live.
I'm hoping to find out from the local quilt guild here. I've only been here 3 months and we've been consumed with this extensive remodel so I haven't had any free time for much of anything, but I will check into that. Thanks :)

It isn't just Marketplace and Craig's List where flaked hang out. Today we were supposed to have a baptismal service at church. The service starts at 10am. At 10 after, the pastor announced the service would be delayed because they were waiting for some family members to arrive. At 10:20, someone must have called the late comers and were told to start the service since they weren't sure when they would be there. The service concluded and they still hadn't shown up.

Now if someone invited me to an important thing like that, I'd make jolly well sure I would be there and on time. If it were car trouble, I'd call a taxi. People just act like they don't care about anything. Imagine making a whole congregation wait when they had no intention of attending - their own family, too.
It's a different world today then when I grew up. I was taught to be considerate of others. That doesn't seem to apply any more. :(

I posted on Craigslist a nice couch that we didn't have room for. I was practically giving it away and had several responses, but when it came time to show up or let me know they couldn't make it or had changed their mind, I never heard from them again. I finally just deleted the post.

I have a larger question. Why are you wasting your time and effort to sell some piece for $5. Do you not have anything better to do? Or is it part of your idea to do this and post your travails here?
Did you notice the post by Deb about people on cell phones walking up & down not looking at the other "stuff" ? For years now complaining about the massive amount of "stuff" she puts out at yard sales that no one wants get a lot of attention.

Those that reply trying to be of help typically get acknowledgment in the form of some excuse that makes no sense.

One thing for sure Deb's post generate replies that can be entertaining to read. See Deb's post #52 Even the exchange between Colleen & dobielvr adds to the mix.

Last edited:
I've been a quilter for many years and have quite a "collection". Unfortunately, the kids aren't interested in them and they will probably end up at Goodwill or in a yard sale when I'm gone. I won't know it or care at that point but when I think of the time and money I invested in making them, it makes me sad to think of their outcome. Yes..I made them for the enjoyment but I know no one appreciates them. I think I'm going to start giving them to nursing homes, etc. At least they'll be used :) I've posted them for sale but they are pricey and people would rather go to WalMart and get a cheap one for their bed for $25.
That would be a great idea to donate them to a nursing home!
And, you'd know for sure that they would be appreciated. You would feel good too.

I would love to have some of them rather than get a cheap one at Walmart. I have a couple that my mother made and need to throw them away as they are not in good condition now and are coming apart.

Trying to sell on places like Market Place and Craig's List substantially limits the number of potential buyers. Most of those sales are aimed at local buyers and local pickup. That often limits the number of buyers to just a dozen, or so, who might be interested....especially if the items are in a area of low population. That's why I like EBAY....the viewership is worldwide, and often results in large numbers of viewers and bidders.

Trying to sell on places like Market Place and Craig's List substantially limits the number of potential buyers. Most of those sales are aimed at local buyers and local pickup. That often limits the number of buyers to just a dozen, or so, who might be interested....especially if the items are in a area of low population. That's why I like EBAY....the viewership is worldwide, and often results in large numbers of viewers and bidders.
If you are using Marketplace correctly, its worldwide.....

Did you notice the post by Deb about people on cell phones walking up & down not looking at the other "stuff" ? For years now complaining about the massive amount of "stuff" she puts out at yard sales that no one wants get a lot of attention.

Those that reply trying to be of help typically get acknowledgment in the form of some excuse that makes no sense.

One thing for sure Deb's post generate replies that can be entertaining to read. See Deb's post #52 Even the exchange between Colleen & dobielvr adds to the mix.
I know Deb has stated she doesn't want to sell on Ebay or Etsy. I've suggested it and so have others. I can understand that. She did inherit most of this stuff and for some reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for her things in her area. I find her posts interesting and entertaining.

I still can't figure out why she hasn't found a cat yet.

Wesley stopped by last evening for a while. Had an extensive exploratory walk around inside. He brought a buddy, but the other cat wasn't as friendly.
Maybe after Wesley's buddy has a little time to get used to Wesley's new friend's place, he'll warm up. I mean...the buddy was just tagging along and may not have known that he'd be welcome. He was probably a little shy or trying to be polite🐱🐈

The other cat I hadn't seen before. At first I thought it was Bernie, but Bernie is a long-hair and has more white in his coat. This was a buff-colored shorthair. It did come in, but made a bee-line for the back door that I had open.

I know Deb inherited much of this stuff. People need to give her credit that she has done all this moving and selling (what she did sell) all on her own. Not an easy task.

I know the woman who co-founded the local PAWS thrift store. She said some days they brought in over 1000 dollars. It's 100% volunteer run so they just pay the store rental, electricity. All from donated stuff no one wanted I guess.

I was in there for an hour one day before Christmas. For a full hour, the cash register never stopped.

The other cat I hadn't seen before. At first I thought it was Bernie, but Bernie is a long-hair and has more white in his coat. This was a buff-colored shorthair. It did come in, but made a bee-line for the back door that I had open.
Cute. But not your kitties. I worry about the cats I've seen outside at my apartment. One woman who moved out in one of the downstairs apartments, her cat disappeared and she put flyers out. Poor cat. Wonder what happened.

I ”sell” items on the side of our driveway with a big FREE sign. Even though we live out in the boonies, the item always goes! For me, my time is too valuable to mess around with yard sales.

Try oldpop’s strategy. In Today’s screwy times, it just might work. If you mark it down from $500 to $400, someone will be getting quite the deal!

ONLY if you are seeking nationwide/global buyers. Offering items for "local pickup" severely limits the number of potential buyers....especially if the seller is located in a small town area. With todays gas prices, no one will be driving more than a couple of miles to look at a $5 item.
If they are willing to pay the shipping, works for me. I once sent a half dozen cassette tapes to India.

Most Baby Boomers have all the crap we want and then some. Younger generations have their own tastes that rarely run to 50-100 year old kitsch, knickknacks, dishes or dust collectors. The exception would be pieces with very specific sentimental value, like something passed down that was always in a beloved Grandma's kitchen.

Deb, wasn't purging unnecessary possessions and making a fresh start part of your objective for moving to a new house?

It's hard to understand why you punish yourself with repeated disappointments over random bits of chump change. It would make sense if you needed the money, but $5 more or less not only won't change your life, it actually won't even change your day.

Seems like your patterns remain the same, only your address has changed.

Back