Top 5 Books of all time

I think everyone would have a different list. I am not sure I can name 5, but here are some

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Stand
To Kill a Mockingbird

My son graduated with a English major. He loves all the above books. The denser and older the better. He makes his list of books he will read for the year every year. Do you have any suggestions for not popular but good classics?
A classic is what you say it is.
My shelf of classics are primarily books others have never heard of----when young read N.Y. Times 'best fiction, non-fiction had a lot of
stinkers in list...

My favorite books aren't always based on the book itself but more about what the book lead to. Mine are listed in no particular order.

Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior by Geoffrey Miller - A wonderful book that started me down a road of learning more about the brain and human behavior

The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives by Shankar Vedantam - Definitely a favorite book in and of itself, it really explained a lot about how humans operate.

A Million Open Doors by John Barnes - The first book in one of my favorite science fiction series. It took me two tries to get into the book but once I did it was very interesting. It's the only book I've read with an economist as it's hero.

Sacred Pleasure: Sex, Myth and the Politics of the Body by Riane Eisler - A very interesting book that put a different spin on history and the "facts" we learned about past societies. It also introduced me to some wonderful feminist authors and works that I enjoyed very much as well

Startide Rising by David Brin - The second book in the uplift trilogy. I read it first without knowing it was part of a series and then read the rest and the next three books set in the uplift universe and a lot of other David Brin works.

Back