Top 5 Books of all time

The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway
The Stand - Stephen King
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
1984 - George Orwell.

I'm not particularly into novels. They take too long and my attention span is limited. And I utterly despise Hemingway and Michener! Barbara Pym's quaint and understated English period pieces are charming.
I'm with you, I don't read fiction.. altho' I have read all the classics in the past, I don't have a vivid enough imagination to enjoy them..I much prefer factual books, of which I always have at least 2 on the go at any one time..

I love to read and have been a bookworm all my life. It kind of runs in my family; years ago at the dinner table, each of us had our own book... sort of like the Leave It to Beaver, before cellphones version. :D

I'll read just about anything; never had a top 5. The only stuff I don't care for are "romance novels" or other mass-produced drivel...but there's an audience I suppose.

Of all time? I can't. Just now I'm remembering some, but also so many others! I'll just name these

The Grapes of Wrath
Watership Down
The Stand
Kristin Lavernsdatter
The House of the Spirits
* can't leave out A Confederate General From Big Sur and Slaughter House 5 :oops:

Last edited:
I have read many books, but I have always been fascinated by the unexplained. Greek mythology tells a story of a civilization on earth that was so advanced our wildest imagination can not comprehend. Then a large man made block of stone discovered in Lebanon, it was 64 feet by 19 feet by 18 feet an estimated weight 1,650 tons. Who could have cut this? I think the answers are hidden, maybe in the Vatican, maybe Area 51 in New Mexico, maybe I know. lol :alien: I have read 66 books, The Bible, not sure which five were best, but I didn't like Revelations!

Last edited:
I love to read and I've kept a journal since 1990 of all the books I've read
I read fiction,non fiction,memoirs,history its not easy to make a top 5 list
Lonesome Dove-Larry McMurtry
Pillars of the Earth-Ken Follet
A River Runs Through it-Norman Maclean
Cronkite-David Brinkley's terrific biography about Walter Cronkite
any book by historian,David McCullough,read most of them

Of all time? I can't. Just now I'm remembering some, but also so many others! I'll just name these

The Grapes of Wrath
Watership Down
The Stand
Kristin Lavernsdatter
The House of the Spirits
* can't leave out A Confederate General From Big Sur and Slaughter House 5 :oops:

Hos soo,, a true story
Steinbeck was in Japan...one day needing to kill time he wandered into a book store, asked if they had a copy of "The Grapes of Wrath?"
How soo, is fiction yes, maybe true book...
A language barrier conversation occurred, eventually the clerk returned with the correct novel; however, the title had changed :
"A Hard Raisin"

Hos soo,, a true story
Steinbeck was in Japan...one day needing to kill time he wandered into a book store, asked if they had a copy of "The Grapes of Wrath?"
How soo, is fiction yes, maybe true book...
A language barrier conversation occurred, eventually the clerk returned with the correct novel; however, the title had changed :
"A Hard Raisin"
Speaking of weird/funny outcomes with language translations: When Coca Cola first appeared in China, the translation, taken literally from the phonetics, came out to: "Bite the wax tadpole!" Yeah, just what I would want to slam down after a hot day.

The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway
The Stand - Stephen King
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
1984 - George Orwell.
My son graduated with a English major. He loves all the above books. The denser and older the better. He makes his list of books he will read for the year every year. Do you have any suggestions for not popular but good classics?

When I was younger I loved reading so much. In my young years I loved Murder Mysteries. I haven't read a book since I got started using the computer. My eyesight is much better on here then reading a book.

When I was younger I loved reading so much. In my young years I loved Murder Mysteries. I haven't read a book since I got started using the computer. My eyesight is much better on here then reading a book.

I loved to read in the past. But my eyesight is making it a challenge. I can read downloaded books to my Kindle with the large print, but I just don't enjoy it anymore.

The Art of Racing in the Rain
Memoirs of a Geisha
Gone With the Wind
Outlander
Through A Glass, Darkly (lol, not really a good book, but I like the description of clothes)

Back