Transitioning to Veganism/Vegetarianism

You're very welcome for the info.
To clear it up a bit, I can grow basil outside during the summer, but they die when winter's shorter days and cooler nights arrive. I've never tried using grow lights, but your post inspires me to check into it.

The step-by-step instructions on this website seem reasonable and doable. If you'd check the site out when you get a minute and give your opinion, I'd really appreciate it. https://thepeasantsdaughter.net/how-to-grow-basil-indoors/

To answer your question, I haven't made pesto in a long time because the best pesto has plenty of oil and cheese. I suppose I could try it with vegan cheese though. Perhaps @treeguy64 can steer us in a good direction on that.
While I’m a fairly good grower I don’t know anything about growing basil and like you haven’t had much success but do agree with the article that trying to grow plants near a window isn’t the greatest idea. I’ve got some good LED lights and a 100 watt that I think would work ideally in a spare bedroom closet.
Keeping the lights on at night time while you sleep is actually a good idea while using LED lights since looking at them can strain your eyes. That’s a good point.

Growing indoor herbs is something I’ve always wanted to do but have never taken it seriously enough to do so far. I’ve considered winterizing the greenhouse and adding a heater but the cost may not make it worthwhile but since my oregano winterized I’m curious what else will.

I think what I’d do first is purchase basil plants and keep them growing year round but growing from seeds sounds interesting. Proper pruning makes perfect sense. Even pinching marijuana plants creates much bushier, healthier plants.

I’ll have to look at the article more later when I have more time. Great link though. 👍I forgot about the oil aspect when I asked about Pesto Sauce. Yes it definitely does have a lot of oil but I’m sure it can be successfully made cheese free. Treeguy would be the best person for this question.

One thing I’ve learned about saving herbs to use for cooking which works well is to cut the herbs into pieces and free them in water. You can use ice cube trays to freeze them and once frozen transfer to plastic freezer bags, label what it is and store in freezer. When ready to use for cooking you take the necessary amount of cubes out , thaw and use. It’s like using fresh herbs and is far better than trying to dry your herbs for later. There’s no mould and far less mess.

Now on a more serious note.
Questions for any other vegan / vegetarians.

When you started this diet, did you find you couldn’t sleep well? At first I noticed a huge surge in energy which was great but then I’m also not sleeping well which isn’t good.

Another thing I noticed is depression. I’ve got a depressive disorder as well as some other mental health disorders which seem to be aggravated by eating this diet so I researched this and was surprised to learn that it’s a common denominator in eating this way. Apparently the lack of vitamin D from not eating dairy products along with the lack of B12 in not eating any animal products can affect sleep and moods. Here’s some info about it.

Any thoughts on this? It’s really a major concern for me.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theslee...how-eating-vegetarian-affects-your-sleep/amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/animals-and-us/201812/the-baffling-connection-between-vegetarianism-and-depression?amp

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thethirty.whowhatwear.com/amp/vegan-diet-and-depression
Get D3 and B12, today. I take 1,000 IU of D3, three times a day, and 1,000 mcg of B12, daily.

Watch out for too much basil intake. Contrary to things online, I found that I started getting down when I used too much basil, in my dishes. I hardly use it at all, now. No go, on pesto.

Get D3 and B12, today. I take 1,000 IU of D3, three times a day, and 1,000 mcg of B12, daily.

Watch out for too much basil intake. Contrary to things online, I found that I started getting down when I used too much basil, in my dishes. I hardly use it at all, now. No go, on pesto.
Good to know about basil. I only use it on pizza and sometimes for caprese-type salads using vegan cheese when my garden tomatoes ripen.

Normally I take D3 but I ran out about about a month ago and forgot to get more. I take B100’s daily and it’s got 1,000 mcg’s of B12. Oddly enough years ago my blood work came out deficient in B12 so I had to take shots for a while but I’ve never been a big meat eater so that makes sense. Maybe I’ll get B12 on the side. With having the digestive disorders, my body might use up more than the average person. Actually I need the B complex daily. When I start to forget to take them I get agitated. Note: my medical practitioners are all for taking the supplements I do and encourage their use.

As far as the basil goes I don’t think that’s what’s depressing me. I’ve always found basil to help me along with other herbs 😅 but I’ll certainly keep it in mind.

Thanks

9FED83CA-7309-481A-A35B-F4F36B736D3C.jpeg

That looks so scrumptious, @Keesha! We've been leaning toward veggie burgers with the warmer weather. It feels so much more like summer when there are burgers on the grill!
Yes which is great for the BBQ or when invited to other people’s house for a BBQ since you can take your own burgers to cook on the grill. The grill is something I’d surely miss. Even the smell of food cooking on a grill would drive me nuts so I’m very happy to have figured out an alternative while sticking to my diet. Thank you.

Last edited:
Things I like but wasn’t sure if I could find the equivalent in dairy free or vegan. Most salad dressings I make myself but I really like a thick Ranch Dressing and this one is really nice so thought I’d share my findings.

CC625968-08AC-46CE-ABBB-DED187FD5EA0.jpeg
For those who love a delicious dairy & gluten free cheese cake daiya makes several different types including chocolate & key lime.
09BF49A6-8335-45D0-9869-0A517CEF70E1.jpeg
Sweets from the Earth makes this delicious vegan gluten free expresso cheesecake that is simply scrumptious.

4F5BDCEF-0FBC-4150-87EC-EF705955954C.jpeg

How's your transitioning going Keesh?

Also do you all get any weight loss benefits from this? Cuz I've seen some hefty vegans or vegetarians.

How's your transitioning going Keesh?

Also do you all get any weight loss benefits from this? Cuz I've seen some hefty vegans or vegetarians.
It’s going very well thanks MarciKS. I’ve stuck to it religiously and am quite happy with how I’m feeling. I don’t crave meat at all . It’s a bit more tricky for me as I’m not only eliminating meat but dairy and gluten. Going gluten free is quite challenging itself but eliminating all animal products including dairy and eggs, even more so but it’s making me more aware of my food choices.

I AM losing weight but I think that’s more to do with the fact that I’m not eating as many sweets and things. For a while I was on a gluten free chocolate cake and cashew ice cream phase as well as jube jubes and wine gums. My husband eats a lot of junk and when he was home all the time it was much harder not indulging but he’s gone back to work now so I’m starting to lose weight.

Starsong claims that sticking to her vegetarian diet has kept her trim and fit but I haven’t seen much change. Possibly since I didn’t eat much meat to begin with. For me, carbohydrates are the culprit and vegetarians probably eat more carbs than most people or at least it seems that way for me.

Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I worked for a health food store whose owner was vegetarian and she was a big woman. I think weight has got more to do with your eating habits and how much energy you burn. Plus there are some very unhealthy vegetarians who eliminate meat but eat lots of junk food. Not a good choice for keeping the weight off.

Also I don’t cut back on my healthy oils which I use a lot in cooking and salad dressings. I find it great for the hair and skin as well as mental functioning. Living without my healthy oils I couldn’t do.

It’s probably not the answer you were hoping for. 😅

Last edited:
I just have to wonder if all those carbs are gonna make it so I become diabetic. Without the carbs I'm so friggin hungry all the time. It is beginning to feel like a losing battle for me.

I'm glad it's going well for you.

Starsong claims that sticking to her vegetarian diet has kept her trim and fit but I haven’t seen much change. Possibly since I didn’t eat much meat to begin with. For me, carbohydrates are the culprit and vegetarians probably eat more carbs than most people or at least it seems that way for me. Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I worked for a health food store whose owner was vegetarian and she was a big woman. I think weight has got more to do with your eating habits and how much energy you burn. Plus there are some very unhealthy vegetarians who eliminate meat but eat lots of junk food. Not a good choice for keeping the weight off.

Also I don’t cut back on my healthy oils which I use a lot in cooking and salad dressings. I find it great for the hair and skin as well as mental functioning. Living without my healthy oils I couldn’t do.
There's a world of difference between eating vegetarian/vegan and eating Whole Food Plant Based, which is what I aspire to and follow pretty closely. Added oils aren't part of a WFPB diet, though I do use a bit (maximum of a couple tsp a day including salad dressings). I do eat a fair amount of olives, nuts, avocados and hummus though.

As Keesha said, lots of vegetarians & vegans skimp on healthy foods. After all, french fries and potato chips are vegan, ditto candy, granola bars (candy bars with better branding), most doughnuts, cookies, crackers, soda, alcohol, and many more. Same with sugar, molasses, white flour, shortening. All are vegan, all are unhealthy, and all will pack on weight if eaten regularly.

whole food plant based diet huh? might have to try that. i'll have to figure out something for the gas though. does that part go away eventually?

and do you ever crave anything sweet @StarSong?

Yes, the gas went away after a couple of weeks (or less).

I do eat more sweets than I wish. Human DNA is programmed to crave sweets and fats. Sweet flavors guided us to berries, fruits and vegetables (most of which are slightly sweet) that contain everything a healthy human needs for good health and survival. Bitterness steered us away from poisonous plants. Odors emitted from spoiled foods send us running, but attract the creatures who find them quite tasty.

High fat foods are concentrated sources of calories - lots of bang for the effort buck which helped our survival. That's not to say our ancestors gorged on fats. Can you imagine eating a bunch of avocados by themselves - like apples? More a couple at once would make you feel a little sick, even though an average whole avocado contains less than 3 tablespoons of actual fat. Indeed, there's more fat in a Sausage, Cheese McMuffin than an entire avocado.

Our hunter/gatherer evolutionary past didn't anticipate concentrated forms of these foods being endlessly available.

I try to avoid purchasing sweets and almost never bake from January through mid-November, but yes, there's vegan ice cream in my freezer and I do indulge. Especially now.

Of course I had to have some. Salted caramel vegan ice cream with all the talk of ice cream. It’s not the least bit disappointing. My picture wouldn’t download but it looked like this.
CBA1D560-3F54-4B73-B3EF-785F32B8FA7C.jpeg

Trader Joe's and Aldi have some good vegan ice creams, too.
We don’t have Trader Joes or Aldis but apparently we are going to. We do have franchises like ‘no frills,’ which guarantees the lowest price on anything they sell and they even have an entire isle full of whole food & specialty foods including gluten free bread, vegan creams and cheeses and alternative flours and baking goods. Grocery stores have sure come a long way.

In the greenhouse I have a lot of vegetables growing including tomatoes, lettuce, chard, peppers and spinach which I’m looking forward to eating.

92C3969B-3E8D-4B27-980B-6A86F4CE21C5.jpeg

6F833136-388B-4323-9516-FAC01710F271.jpeg

Last edited:
For the past week we've been harvesting sun gold (cherry) tomatoes. Zucchini are starting to come in, too. Basil and cilantro are thriving.
Wow. That must be nice. You are way ahead of us. Normally I start earlier here but I had some work to do on my greenhouse first this year and the pandemic didn’t help any. I’d love to grow some cilantro. I’m going to get more seeds this year of things I like use in cooking and eating. Fresh Sun gold cherry tomatoes. I’m somewhat jealous . Lol. ;)

Yes, the sun golds are soooo sweet. We have a very long tomato season. Our plants produce throughout the summer and then have a second, much smaller crop in October - November.

Living in So Cal means an incredibly good stream of very reasonably priced produce year-round because of our proximity to Mexico, Central & (northern) South America, and most especially California's Central Valley (which provides about half our nation's half of the fruits, vegetables and nuts).

Believe me, I'm grateful.

Back