Undecided whether to put up a Christmas tree, etc.?

honey_i_m_home_large.gif

I've been sitting here pondering on it and during our 45+ plus years of marriage I honestly can't recall us ever putting up any sort of tree.......mama used to put a few little Christmasy figurines on the mantel around the holidays but she stopped doing that several years ago.

We still celebrate Christmas for the kids and grandkids at our house so there’s always a decorated tree with all the family ornaments, and fully decorated house. Our kids who have kids have their own family Christmas, then they, along with their siblings head to our house for an extended family Christmas with gift exchange.

And instead of cooking Christmas dinner, I make a hearty brunch, then we open gifts, then All who want to go to a movie in the afternoon.

Xmas is my favorite time of the year so even if we didn’t have the kids over, I’d still be decorating. Maybe not quite so extensively, but I just can’t see not putting out my favorite decorations.

I haven't seen any Christmas commercials, but I've seen Hallowe'en costume ideas and recipes for Thanksgiving dinner on the web.

Christmas Eve is just 5 months from today. Have you started your shopping yet?

Hm. That's some strange sentence construction. ...recipes on the web for Thanksgiving dinner... because I've never had Thanksgiving dinner on the web :ROFLMAO: 🦃
Don’t speak too soon, @Georgiagranny! we’ve had an on-lineThanksgiving here on SF And no dishes to do 😊

Not something we do. My Wife and I stopped giving each other gifts at least 10 years ago. No decorations no tree. Adult children have also stopped with the gift giving practice, they donate to a charity of their choice, instead. Grand kids are in their twenties, so no need for gifts, they can buy what they want, out of their own pockets. Older Grand Son ( age 24 ) recently bought a bar/night club business in Belize in partnership with his Father. They also own a dive boat business down there, catering to Canadian and American tourists. JimB.

When I was almost 5yrs old and my sister was 7yrs old my Mom's mother passed away on Nov.28th so my Mom said there wouldn't be any Christmas in our house. My Dad got upset and went out and bought me and my sister sassy Susie dolls. Since then every Christmas we put our dolls under our tree. A few years ago we were offered $1000. a piece for each doll. There isn't enough money in the world for us to sell our dolls.
s-l1600.jpg

I quit putting up a tree ten or eleven years ago. When I celebrate Christmas with family I go to their homes. I did keep putting out the other decorations, miniature trees, wreaths, candles, etc. In 2020 because of covid I did not get together with family but decided to have a fresh Christmas tree delivered. I kinda thought it might be my last Christmas with all the uncertainly and I wanted to smell that fragrance of a real tree one more time. 🎄

I am still around ;) and don't regret having that tree!

The neighborhood where I do most of our grocery shopping is big on Christmas in July, so a lot of the houses are decorated with lights and a few have trees up, but they're small ones and they're all in the person's kitchen or dining-room window.

I put my tree up every year. I'll probably stop when the g-kids stop spending the weekends with us, unless Michelle wants to keep up the tradition. In which case, I'll put it together but she's going to decorate it.

I had not put up a tree for many years since it was just me and I travelled out of town for the holidays. I had a door wreath and some other Christmas decor but didn’t bother with a tree. But I decided I missed having one 3 or 4 years ago so I bought a tree that you stand up and the limbs (lights attached) just fall into place. One can decorate with ornaments which I did or it’s pretty with just the lights. I was happy I had a tree since Covid put a stop to Christmas travels.

When I was almost 5yrs old and my sister was 7yrs old my Mom's mother passed away on Nov.28th so my Mom said there wouldn't be any Christmas in our house. My Dad got upset and went out and bought me and my sister sassy Susie dolls. Since then every Christmas we put our dolls under our tree. A few years ago we were offered $1000. a piece for each doll.

There isn't enough money in the world for us to sell our dolls. Here is a picture of last years tree and my doll.0729221816 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Last year, my S/O and I went to a tree farm for our Christmas tree. It started snowing (it was late November) and there was Christmas music being streamed through speakers that were up high on poles. I can't recall when I last had a real tree for the holiday. I do have an artificial tree but it's a pain in the butt to put up so, if it weren't for my S/O, I would not have had a tree last year.

I heard tell that a lot of Christmas tree stores vigorously suggest one should buy 2023's Christmas tree on the 26th day of December 2022. Don't know the truth, just what moi heard told.

Merry Christmas everyone.

View attachment 227429
December 26th is a great day for ornaments, trees, and wrap - Department stores often don't want to bother with the display trees and folks can find fantastic deals, some dis-assembly required. I, however, realized after two years of no-one else even seeing my tree, it is just depressing. BUT, now that I have twin great-grandson babies, that may change! As to the walking Santa Cat - do you think the humans suspended him from a string???

No sweat here! No tree last year and it's gonna be no tree this year too. I'm older and wiser and I'm free! When I was younger and had little kiddies, Christmas was different. We went to Christmas concerts, we attended Christmas invites, there was a staff Christmas party and Christmas, in general, was a whirlwind event. Now, that the kiddies are in their 30s/40s and living far away, their mom has since died and I am living alone, there is no reason in the world I am going to put up a tree or any other decoration. For whom and for what reason? Actually, I would love to "celebrate" Christmas down in Mexico or some place that is nice and warm. LOL

Below I have posted 2 photos to explain why Christmas is so popular around the world.

Attachments

• Drunk Santie 1.jpg
    Drunk Santie 1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Drunk Santie 2.jpg
    Drunk Santie 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I don't have that problem Pam. Muslim for 30 years...no Christmas anymore. And oh what a relief it is! I used to love to decorate the tree and wrap presents in pretty shiny paper with bows though...especially after my son got to be a toddler. I still have some pics here somewhere.

It had to happen. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned Thanksgiving recipes already online🦃. Today I saw one for gingerbread fudge for Christmas🎄.

And no, I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet because I only have to go to the credit union and get some 💰and then to wherever to get some cards. Nobody has ever complained about the "impersonal" gifts😁

ETA: Just saw an online list of Christmas gifts for the DH that he's guaranteed to love.

Remember when...usually in November or thereabouts, our moms and dads would disappear after supper to make Christmas gifts? Dad to the garage or basement, Mom to hide in the bedroom to knit or sew.

Last edited:

Back