Unusual Names

rkunsaw

The Lucy Luck thread got me thinking about unusual names.

Two that have stuck in my memory over the years are a basketball player at Memphis named Baskerville Holmes and a football player at Florida named
Warren Peace.

Let's see some more

Boxer George Foreman named all five of his sons George, "so they would have something in common." He also has five daughters; one is named Freda George, and one is Georgina.

Boxer George Foreman named all five of his sons George, "so they would have something in common." He also has five daughters; one is named Freda George, and one is Georgina.
Seems what they have in common is an egomaniac for a father. Hope there's more than that.

I like George Foreman. His sons do have different middle names. I sure don't think he's an egomaniac, he seems to be one of the nicest people in the sport.
Didn't think much of him one way or another except for his boxing skills, then I heard him on a radio interview. I thought what a nice, charming man. So I tend to agree with your assessment rkunsaw.

Some woman named her daughter Marijuana. Seriously, there was an article about the young woman who overcame such a name to be firmly on the road to success. Sometimes you have to wonder WTH are these parents thinking. I read about a Australian child who's name was so ridiculous that the court ordered his parents to change it.

I once heard about somebody who, while giving birth, heard the doctor say, "Placenta's out," so that's what they named the baby girl. (Not sure how true this is, though it does make a good story!)

"Weldon Rumproast". Really existed.

How about the little girl named ABCDE? Was all over the news a couple of months ago. Her mother said it was pronounced "ab-siddy". OK.

If you check out the AMA directory, you'll find some really off-the-wall doctors' names that don't go well with their specialties. Would you like a GYN named Dr. Ogle? How about Dr. Leer? My mother worked next to a shrink named Dr. Strange.

Shithead, pronounced sha theed. The first time I heard of this name, the kid's mom spelled it out to me over the phone. I'm hardly ever struck speechless, but I wrote it down and just stared at it ...forgot the poor woman was still on the phone. And have run across several more since in healthcare. Just. Why?

Last edited:

Back