Update on Gus

It's been a roller coaster. One day he seems like his old self, the next day he is lethargic and doesn't eat. The last vet visit, I was told about the kidney probelms in older cats (Gus is 19) and since there is no cure, any treatment would only be palliative. What disturbs me the most is his crouching by his water bowl for long periods and he doesn't even drink. When he does drink, he starts this very mournful meowing.

I hate to rush to have him euthanized since he does have good days. I am still kicking myself for having his brother, Adam, put down three years ago. I feel like I might have jumped the gun, but when Adam couldn't stand up anymore, I thought it was time. He had abdominal lymphoma.

I know how difficult it is since I've been there, but I wouldn't even allow ME to suffer with no quality of life. If the Vet says there is no hope, you wouldn't be "rushing to have him euthanized," you would be ending his suffering & he'll be grateful.

It's been a roller coaster. One day he seems like his old self, the next day he is lethargic and doesn't eat. The last vet visit, I was told about the kidney probelms in older cats (Gus is 19) and since there is no cure, any treatment would only be palliative. What disturbs me the most is his crouching by his water bowl for long periods and he doesn't even drink. When he does drink, he starts this very mournful meowing.

It sounds to me like he's in pain and suffering. When was the last time you took him in to see the doctor? Is he getting medication to relieve any pain he may be having, and what special foods are you giving him to make him more comfortable? Is he still isolated in your house, or are you letting him stay near your for affection and security?

I know it may be hard for you to admit, especially if you have had Gus for all his life, but I think it is time to listen to what he is trying to tell you. It is time to let him go. 19 is a long full life for a cat (or dog), but it is now a quality of life issue. Deb, your friends will not think less of you for taking him to the vet and gently letting him go in peace. As Seabreeze said, though, spend time with him. Keep him near.

I strongly believe that letting a pet continue to suffer on in pain when there is no hope for recovery is NOT a kindness to the pet -- it is prolonging its suffering for no reason. The kind and humane thing would be to let the pet go.
I agree, to let a pet suffer with no pain relief or loving affection and comfort when they are old and sickly is cruel, in those cases a vet administered humane euthanasia is more kind for the animal.

They depend on us to give them care, they are helpless without us and can't make their own decisions to get treatment or be peacefully put to sleep. I've had my vet administer a sedative injection before the actual euthanasia drug was given. I felt better paying a little more for my pet's comfort at our last goodbye.

I hate to rush to have him euthanized since he does have good days. I am still kicking myself for having his brother, Adam, put down three years ago. I feel like I might have jumped the gun, but when Adam couldn't stand up anymore, I thought it was time. He had abdominal lymphoma.

You definitely made the right decision with Adam and it's probably time with Gus. Our emotions about death in general, the sense of loss and sorrow get mixed into the equation when it's time to end a much beloved animal's suffering.

Last night I dreamed that I had Gus cloned. When I saw them side by side, I was sad to see how he had declined from his younger self.

That sounds like your subconscious is telling you it's time.

Letting a pet suffer when there is no hope for recovery is cruel and inhumane, IMO. We faced the same issue, years ago, with a nice little poodle which literally grew up with the kids. In his final weeks, it was almost tragic to watch him suffer. Taking him to the vet, for the last time, was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but it had to be done.
ALL life has its limits, even humans....and to allow endless suffering when there is no hope, is wrong. I often wish that Dr. Kevorkian's principles had been adopted...I've already seen far to many old friends go through months of suffering for no good reason.

My sister is like you - she didn't want to say goodbye to her Chocolate Lab. I knew better than to argue with her; she's one of those "Right Fighters" who's never wrong. But I was caring for the dog while she was at work. He couldn't stand or walk & he was struggling to breathe. I had to carry him a long distance to the back yard several times/day - when he didn't poop on himself (which any animal hates).

deb...don't want to be a "downer" bu think Gus is near the end. Same thing happened with our 19 yr old cat "Gracie". She would sit by the water bowl and meow. We took her to the vet and he said she was suffering and it was "time" to let her go home. Please take Gus to the vet. Know you love him and don't want to see him suffer.

Unfortunately, I've had to have several of our cats/dogs put to sleep over the years for various reasons. Most of them were pets we had for 15-20 years. There were also the younger ones. One was shot with an arrow through his stomach. The dog was in the fence in our back yard. It didn't kill him but he was in a lot of pain and there was nothing that could be done for him.

Another was about 6 years old but had what I believe is now called 'red mange' but at the time they could only keep it at bay with dips every other week. Even with getting the dips (at about $100 a trip) for almost a year, the dog, a golden retriever, was progressively getting worse. He would itch and whine and scratch so bad that he would give himself sores with the irritation. I just couldn't stand to see hear him whining and constantly scratching. We had 3 boys and each boy had a dog. When one of the dogs had to go to the vet for shots, visits, etc., that son would go with me. The golden belonged to our oldest son. After much discussion with all the boys, the decision was to made to put the dog to sleep. I wasn't too keen on our oldest boy, he was about 12 at the time, going with me to the vet to have it done but he insisted he had to be with his dog so he could help him go to sleep.

Hard question, Deb. Are you keeping him alive because you need him or because you don't believe he's "sick enough" or in pain? Cat's are stoics, and I've said before that they are. The one single thing you mentioned was that he cries when he tries to drink. When the pain gets bad enough that a cat actually indicates pain, it's time to let him go. If he were a 5-year-old cat, I'd advise a visit to the vet. He's not. He's and old, old kitty that's suffering. Please love him enough to euthanize him.

'Put to sleep.' Misnomer.
He's still hanging in there although he hasn't ventured upstairs in the last two days, which is unusual. He just seems to want to lay onthe warm water radiator.
((deb)) You will do the right thing, at the right time, for you and Gus. It will be what your heart tells you and when.

Yes, when he's stopped eating and is so listless he doesn't move. The problem is that he has good days and I am encouraged, but then he gets lethargic and I panic, then he';s good again the next day. It's a roller coaster.

Back