Update on Gus

@debodun This article showed up on my Facebook feed, and I thought of you. It is about how people are not always taken seriously when they grieve the loss of a pet. Not just you, but any of us having this loss. It is emotionally hard.

LOSS OF PET

When my uncle visited the house when my father was dying from cancer, he mentioned he could smell it. It smelled like burnt sugar.
I read once about a cat that lived in a nursing home, for the company of women who loved cats. She would visit one and stayed curled up in her bed and one or two days later the person would die. This happened with others and they all died shortly. I think the cat could smell death and stayed to keep them company. As soon as they died she would leave the bed. Kind of creepy though, if it hung around you'd know it was your turn. Hmmmm!

@PVC do you mean Oscar? He lived in a nursing home and seemed to sense those who needed comfort before death.

OSCAR THE CAT
Thank you so much, Marie! I just remembered the story but not his name. He's so cute, but then I think ALL cats are beautiful. I had a tabby that I named Oscar, after Oscar Madison of ''The Odd Couple". LOL, no, my little Oscar was not a slob!

I have read that some dogs can be trained to smell an epileptic seizure coming and warn their owners to lie down before the attack. So, illnesses and death can probably be smelled by dogs and cats with their superior olfactory ability.

I think I feel more distress with an animal death than a human's because I feel a human knows death is inevitable and when it's happening. An animal doesn't know that and cannot rationalize it.
I think that's a GOOD thing. They truly live in the moment. They are Zen.

They might have their own (different from humans) type of sensing , of the changes happening to them, in their own ways of perceiving.

I think I feel more distress with an animal death than a human's because I feel a human knows death is inevitable and when it's happening. An animal doesn't know that and cannot rationalize it.
Actually, when I'm making decisions for my pet I feel like a God, making those decisions without him being aware of those decisions. He/she being an animal cannot help me make those decisions, anyway.

Ahhhh..... but they use their 6th sense so I DO believe they know. They can’t rationalize it but why would they want to? That’s a human characteristic. That’s the kind of distress WE put ourselves through. I sincerely feel with all my heart and soul that your Gus KNEW he was going to doggie heaven and that you were helping him and I don’t care how crazy that sounds.

I couldn't resist, these are just adorable!

1573764539098.jpeg1573764622351.jpeg
images
images

I had read the original post of Keesha's, and I hadn't even noticed that error! :oops::)

I thought it said, cat heaven or kitty heaven, I don't remember which way I read it in my own mind.

I guess it was late here too! I must be in the same time zone, or just in the same "zone" :LOL:
I did notice it, but I let it pass, I make so many typing mistakes or realize what I wrote is not exactly what I had meant. Thank you Matrix for that wonderful "EDIT" icon.

Back