Very tired in afternoon, evening...why?

Victor

For the past 1-2 years I have become more and more tired in the afternoon and evening and my coffee does not fully
pick me up. Do you feel this way? I arise by 6 or 6:30 am because that is when I am ready--no good reason
and fall asleep by 9 or 930--again only because I am too sleepy to stay awake--and too bored to read or watch TV. I think it is all mental.

Last I checked my thyroid is okay--maybe it is lack of stimulation--no one to talk to and I leave the computer off in the evening.

I am a morning person. When I was young, I slept through the mornings and stayed up late.

Time for a nap.

Are you allergic to pollen, dust, etc.? I ask because when I was reading your post, it reminded me of myself. I am allergic to all of that and if I'm not taking anything for them, when I get up each morning, I'm tired and as the day goes on, I get worse. By the end of the day, it is a struggle to stay awake. But, when I take something for my allergies that works, I feel fine and wide awake. This may not be your problem but I thought I would share this with you just in case.

AprilSun, unfortunately I have the opposite problem with allergy meds -- when I take them I become a zombie. My doc prescribed something for me a few years ago that went to the other extreme so much it scared me -- heart pounding, raised blood pressure, panicky feeling. I didn't take that one again. I guess I just have to live with sniffles, sneezing, coughing, etc.

AprilSun, unfortunately I have the opposite problem with allergy meds -- when I take them I become a zombie. My doc prescribed something for me a few years ago that went to the other extreme so much it scared me -- heart pounding, raised blood pressure, panicky feeling. I didn't take that one again. I guess I just have to live with sniffles, sneezing, coughing, etc.

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I said "when I take something for my allergies that works". I can't take prescription or over the counter allergy medications because of that same problem. I am a walking zombie if I do. I finally found some herbs that help with my allergies without all of the side effects including the zombie feeling. I just did some searching online and found these and I thought, "What do I have to loose by trying" I didn't think it could be much worse if any than what I was taking so I ordered it and it works.

No I dont have allergies but I have asthma, shortness of breath and I am in my upper 60's.
I worry a lot about issues maybe that is part of it. My doc wanted to test me for sleep apnea
but I refused.

Not making light of it, but I wish. I had your problem. I only sleep in two or three hour segments at best, around the clock. My nights are interminable.
I do feel for you though. I wouldn't be concerned if it was me. Old age does strange things to all of us. I'm 83.

I often can't sleep, regardless of the meditation. There are physical issues that can keep a person from sleeping. Chemical triggers in our brains control it all. Some of us don't have the right chemicals to help us sleep and some of us have more than enough. Over time those chemicals change. Then if we are ill and if we take medications, that stuff disrupts our regular chemical synaptic connections and we are askew.

Get a way to check your blood sugar when this tired feeling happens, it might be narcolepsy also known a low sugar. To some people after eating they just fall asleep for no apparent reason.

Better get that sleep apnea test! I was diagnosed at age 63, and I've been using a bipap (different pressures for exhale and inhale) ever since. I also found that if I use a dental oral device (must be done by an Orthodontist), my numbers are even better. My AHI number has been averaging 1.1 for the past few years. (anything under 5 is considered good). Unless you are getting REM sleep (that's when you dream), you are going to feel bummed out, no energy, lackadaisical, like a zombie. That's the way I was getting before the test. And you can't get REMS is you have sleep apnea!!!

If you don't get the test, you'll never know if you have it. Why not? Medicare pays for it and also buys the machine for you!

During my sleep test, I found out that I stopped breathing 12 times hour (My longest time without breathing was 50 seconds). I didn't know!!!

Also, you're placing a tremendous strain on your heart if you have it, not to mention that driving in a sleepy state is dangerous.

Also, you need to exercise! (I don't know if you do or don't). Its easy to find something that is not very expensive. I ride my bike regularly at 77.

Hope this is just taken in the spirit in which it was given. Just trying to offer suggestions.

Only humans can use machines to cure it.
I thank God for the ability of humans and the advancement of medicine which can treat these maladies.

I always thought that sleep apnea was just a snoring issue, where when one is sleeping there is a pause in breathing. I didn't realize that snoring issues could stop one from driving. A person in another thread, can't remember who right now, said they lost their driver's license because of it. So there must be a lot more to it than I thought.

So many times those who create treatments create them that do more harm than good.

For the past 1-2 years I have become more and more tired in the afternoon and evening and my coffee does not fully
pick me up. Do you feel this way? I arise by 6 or 6:30 am because that is when I am ready--no good reason
and fall asleep by 9 or 930--again only because I am too sleepy to stay awake--and too bored to read or watch TV. I think it is all mental.

Last I checked my thyroid is okay--maybe it is lack of stimulation--no one to talk to and I leave the computer off in the evening.

I am a morning person. When I was young, I slept through the mornings and stayed up late.

Time for a nap.

it's good that your DR checked your thyroid(any other labs?). Barring any abnormalities, your tiring later in the day....may be......A-G-E related. Sorry, I get miffed a little when my doctor has the audacity to suggest that my host of discomforts are age related.

:shrug:

I'm tired right now, wishing I was a youngster(50ish) again.

My problem with going to the doctor about any problem I may have is that he doesn't know squat. It's hard to find one who won't end up giving a person medication that makes them worse not better. If my foot's about to fall off, I'll go, otherwise I'll do the best I can to take care of it myself.

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I said "when I take something for my allergies that works". I can't take prescription or over the counter allergy medications because of that same problem. I am a walking zombie if I do. I finally found some herbs that help with my allergies without all of the side effects including the zombie feeling. I just did some searching online and found these and I thought, "What do I have to loose by trying" I didn't think it could be much worse if any than what I was taking so I ordered it and it works.

AprilSun, what herbs are you taking? I'd like to give the herbs a try.

Afternoon is siesta time.

I found that some meds will put me right to sleep. I last drank coffee in 1970. The doctor told me it was irritating my gizzard, so I stopped it.

AprilSun, what herbs are you taking? I'd like to give the herbs a try.

Butterfly, I apologize for being late with my response. I didn't get a notification until today. Okay, I take 1 cayenne 40,000 H.U. pill and I take a ginger pill with it to help with the burning, etc. that cayenne can cause. I also take a Turmeric pill and with all of them together, they seem to be helping. I hope this helps you like it has me.

I often can't sleep, regardless of the meditation. There are physical issues that can keep a person from sleeping. Chemical triggers in our brains control it all. Some of us don't have the right chemicals to help us sleep and some of us have more than enough. Over time those chemicals change. Then if we are ill and if we take medications, that stuff disrupts our regular chemical synaptic connections and we are askew.

I am months away from seeing this but I had to reply and say the same is going on with me and I can't snap out of it. I get less than 5 hours..not in a row in about 9 hours of trying. Five hours isn't enough and I'm muddled during the day.

I don't know what to do. I do have a medical marijuana card, in Oregon, and that helps..but it doesn't keep me asleep.

I see that you, Phoenix, are in Oregon, too. We can stay up together! Boo!!

Just wanted to vent.

Thanks all!

I'm just reading this thread and fail to see anything unusual about tiring later in the day? I sleep well at night (for the most part) and regardless of whether my night is good or bad, I like to take a doze in the early afternoon. Never thought of it as unusual or harmful? I don't sleep long because I usually pick up our grand-daughter from the high school in mid-afternoon. Picking up a book to read will put me to sleep faster than any medicine, (sad to say) whether the book is good or bad.

I didn't always feel the need for naps but since passing into my 80's, it's "my" way of life. :D

Back