Vietnam War Wannabes

First time I've heard about SAM's in/on Junks: slow salute to the Mister.

I was four when WW II ended, rather than that all these other 'conflict' seem such a waste of good men.
Apparently this was a trick the North Vietnamese used to lure planes to investigate what the junks were carrying. Somehow they had a delivery system installed on one in the center which released the SAMS, as was told to me.

I've post before, do not understand 'wannabes.'
I remain very curious as to motivation.
911's post 48, maybe the guy just wanted a free meal, I never encountered a
person that carried his DD 214 on his person, the Bob Evans Restaurant surly
has a sign or other requirements.
The question remains, why. If your talking to a vet, he'll tell you quickly,
what unit, location... I don't think it would be easy to fake. Still-why?
I always carry my DD214. I occasionally get good discounts by showing it with my photo ID. Lowes used to accept it as proof of being a Veteran, but not anymore, at least, not around here. Now, we (Veterans) have to fill out paperwork and register to get our 10%. My dad was the person who told me to always carry it. I had it laminated over what was on it. It still looks new. I know several men that carry it.

Senator Blumenthal of Connecticut is another liar about being a Viet Nam Vet. Never stepped foot in that country.
Sounds like another “I was there and we were close to the bombing” stories that a certain presidential hopeful is telling. Problem is he keeps getting confused between Afghanistan and Iraq. He can’t remember where he was, mainly because he wasn’t anywhere.

I suppose it is best to beat the drum from a hundred miles in the rear.

DD212
If your going to add a bath or other large project, your DD214 would be handy.
911 mentioned 'filling out papers,' don't care for that.

I've only watched a number of films and documentaries about the Vietnam War and it just has me in tears. What was the point of it? So much pain and suffering and for what? From what I saw I cannot image the hell that all people went through. I thought US soldiers who returned were almost villified, no 'heroes' welcome - whatever that means in conflicts. From what I can gather it seems that many soldiers did not believe they would 'win' the war and that it was futile, both in purpose and outcome. Like so many wars. it is those in 'power' who are essentially the warmongers. Consider the 2nd World War where the English, Scots and Germans and others played football at Xmas in no mans land, exchanging photos and food. My grandfather (in WW11) once said that he had to continue fire on a hut filled with German soldiers and when they eventually surrendered they walked in a line, most were no more than 19 years old and he said he cried. I also don't know why someone would lie that they were in Vietnam but it makes me think of those in the 2nd World War who were conscripted to carry out essential work such as coal mining (Bevin boys who were not given much credit at the time for what they had to endure down the pits and possibly felt guilty that they were not on the front line ), so perhaps those who claim to have been in Vietnam lie because they feel they didn't do their 'duty' and yet conversely doing their'duty' does not come over in films and documentaries as something to feel proud about. Apologies for my possible ignorance. Always willing to learn.:unsure:

After only a short time in country, I realized we could not win this war. Our hands were tied politicians trying to micro-manage the fight. Second, by my time in country (1969-70), we were slowly pulling back from seeking out the enemy and instead were turning over duties to the ARVN army. (I always smile when I mention ARVN soldiers... you had to be there to understand). And lastly, I put myself in the Vietnamese people's mind. Would you not fight to the death if someone was trying to over run and conquer America?
Remember the ARVN were poorly paid, if they got paid at all, they were also not trained well. I don't blame the AVRN, their leaders were a joke.

I've only watched a number of films and documentaries about the Vietnam War and it just has me in tears. What was the point of it? So much pain and suffering and for what? From what I saw I cannot image the hell that all people went through. I thought US soldiers who returned were almost villified, no 'heroes' welcome - whatever that means in conflicts. From what I can gather it seems that many soldiers did not believe they would 'win' the war and that it was futile, both in purpose and outcome. Like so many wars. it is those in 'power' who are essentially the warmongers. Consider the 2nd World War where the English, Scots and Germans and others played football at Xmas in no mans land, exchanging photos and food. My grandfather (in WW11) once said that he had to continue fire on a hut filled with German soldiers and when they eventually surrendered they walked in a line, most were no more than 19 years old and he said he cried. I also don't know why someone would lie that they were in Vietnam but it makes me think of those in the 2nd World War who were conscripted to carry out essential work such as coal mining (Bevin boys who were not given much credit at the time for what they had to endure down the pits and possibly felt guilty that they were not on the front line ), so perhaps those who claim to have been in Vietnam lie because they feel they didn't do their 'duty' and yet conversely doing their'duty' does not come over in films and documentaries as something to feel proud about. Apologies for my possible ignorance. Always willing to learn.:unsure:
As Dwight Eisenhower warned upon leaving office "beware the military industrial complex". Watch the movie "JFK". When Donald Sutherland explains to Kevin Costner why Kennedy may have been killed because he had second thoughts about getting into the Vietnam mess. When the "Gulf Of Tonkin Incident" took place I asked my mother if they really expected us to believe this bullshit and that is exactly what it was! The war lifted us out of a serious recession. It made a lot of people rich and it made a lot of people dead or messed up for life.

I served 1956 to 1966 in the air force - MATS and SAC. I was never called for Vietnam, nor did I ask. I was an aircraft maintainer. I fixed broken airplanes so others could fly into harms way. Some folks went. Our shop was authorized 39 people. One Monday morning that number had changed to 19. Rumors were that they went to SE Asia.

My question is: Why?
Just my thoughts. Seriously, I can’t tell you exactly why, so these are guesses. Maybe it stretches their ego. Or, maybe because there were so many of us over there and they don’t want to be the odd man out. Or, maybe at one time they used it for a pick-up line. I’m sure there are other reasons and probably more than any of us can imagine. I knew a person who wore a Vietnam Veteran cap and was never in the service. I knew he wasn’t, but never said anything. One night we were playing cards and one of the other men asked him what branch he was in. He said he was in the Army. So, the other guy asked him what was his MOS. He suddenly had to go to the bathroom because he was sick.

Back