Vietnam War Wannabes

I've post before, do not understand 'wannabes.'
I remain very curious as to motivation.
911's post 48, maybe the guy just wanted a free meal, I never encountered a
person that carried his DD 214 on his person, the Bob Evans Restaurant surly
has a sign or other requirements.
The question remains, why. If your talking to a vet, he'll tell you quickly,
what unit, location... I don't think it would be easy to fake. Still-why?

I hear you. I've never carried my DD 214 on me. I have my VFW card, Legion card and a military ID card I carry, although I've managed to misplace my ID card a few times. It could very well be the man from 911's post just wanted a meal and was embarrassed or ashamed of his situation. You're right about talking to a vet. I forgot what movie I was watching last night, but, I have total recall of 1969-70 like it was earlier today. Not long ago, I started making a list of FSB's I'd been to. I can remember each one. Strange how one can remember that sort of thing.
Note... bugged me about last nights movie. pulled the chip out of the tv and popped it into the computer to see what it was.
Mulholland Falls with Nick Nolte. Darn brain farts.:unsure::)

I've post before, do not understand 'wannabes.'
I remain very curious as to motivation.
911's post 48, maybe the guy just wanted a free meal, I never encountered a
person that carried his DD 214 on his person, the Bob Evans Restaurant surly
has a sign or other requirements.
The question remains, why. If your talking to a vet, he'll tell you quickly,
what unit, location... I don't think it would be easy to fake. Still-why?
IMHO there is no need to push for honesty with such people. A strong similar case could be made for claims from in-country clerks, laundry workers, motor pool guys etc. who recollect their service as helicopter crew chiefs and nitroglycerin jugglers.😊

20 Lying Wannabes for every real Vietnam Vet. :mad:

No wonder I keep running in to so many former Navy Seals.
I was there in 66 and 67. Not a nice time. I was always haunted by the French’s advice to not go there, “you cannot win”. And again the same advice about Iraq and Afghanistan. Tradional suspicion of the French continues today in the US, Canada and the UK. Perhaps current poor relations are tied to sharing U.N. veto rights between five of the worst bullies in history. End of sermon.

I suppose I am a genuine hero of the Vietnam conflict. Right at daybreak back in '69, I was sent on a dangerous mission in Danang. I had to pick up a box of those little "letter balls" for IMB Selectric typewriters from Camp Tien Sha and from there, "fight" my way all the way to China Beach. (Actually, I rode in a truck.) I barely made it alive to the shack where they sold the beer and I had to sit under a tree with a Vietnamese nurse and a six pack of Bud, listening to the waves to calm my nerves. That was the total of my in-country experience. I love the smell of hops in the morning.

I suppose I am a genuine hero of the Vietnam conflict. Right at daybreak back in '69, I was sent on a dangerous mission in Danang. I had to pick up a box of those little "letter balls" for IMB Selectric typewriters from Camp Tien Sha and from there, "fight" my way all the way to China Beach. (Actually, I rode in a truck.) I barely made it alive to the shack where they sold the beer and I had to sit under a tree with a Vietnamese nurse and a six pack of Bud, listening to the waves to calm my nerves. That was the total of my in-country experience. I love the smell of hops in the morning.
Nicely done. I also saw real danger on the front lines from venereal disease, alcoholism and the potential for drunk drowning in one of the base’s swimming pools. Certain aromas still give me flashbacks of Cam Ranh Bay hookers, usually bluefish or conger eels. I told my company clerk to take me off the Purple Heart requisition.

I spent 1968-72 in the US Navy, as a Corpsman (Medic). I was never in harms way. I always had hot meals and a warm bed. Surprisingly, I never step foot on a ship, I was always stationed in Navy hospitals. I'm considered a Vietnam Veteran, due to the dates I served. But I don't consider myself as one. When well meaning people thank me for my service, I acknowledge it. Yet, rather than me, I wish they thank those, who gave up much more than I. They truly deserve admiration.
I have to say I ran into a "special ops" type, who never left New Jersey. Bullets fell out of his pockets when he got change. And for the good of the nation, his lips are still sealed. He just couldn't say where in "Nam" he had been. I remember that turkey.
I was in China Beach Navy Hospital, and on the USS Sanctuary, a couple of others, the Navy treated me well.

I was in the Army from Aug. 72 -74 and spent 13 months in Korea. Easy duty. I have super respect for those who were in 'Nam and especially those in combat. Anyone who engages in stolen valor needs a severe a$$ kicking.

For me, it was 71-72 MACV Team 47 in a couple of areas in country. As for "wanna-be's", I had not heard of that. I do have my DD-214 and VA Medical card.

Tony

Trade? where did you learn that all vietnam records were declassified??
As to "secret and above" I held much higher due to the nukes! And I aint tellin nothing!!!!

Im tempted to turn over the info on the a guy I met thru work.... Wearing the hat but got argumentative and in my face when I suggested he go to the VA for his medical issue.

That is one of the many joys of the internet. "You can be anything you want at Alice's Restaurant" My older brother was in on the JFK murder. My cousin Sharkey filmed the first moon landing in Joliet Illinois. My dad was the single greatest diversion in WWII on D-Day allowing Normandy to be the real target. For me, I exchange written letters with MLK to this day. I have to stop now Willie Nelson is at my front door.

That is one of the many joys of the internet. "You can be anything you want at Alice's Restaurant" My older brother was in on the JFK murder. My cousin Sharkey filmed the first moon landing in Joliet Illinois. My dad was the single greatest diversion in WWII on D-Day allowing Normandy to be the real target. For me, I exchange written letters with MLK to this day. I have to stop now Willie Nelson is at my front door.

Fortunately, there are people out there that take the time to expose these frauds. (y)
Oh by the way, you best tell your cousin to quit lying about filming that moon landing... everyone knows it was done in my garage. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://www.stolenvalor.com/target.cfm?source=link&sort=order

Okay, need some help here.
I was trying to remember what the troops called their superiors (ha).
The 1st Sgt was, the main war hog, First war pig and other sweet remembrances-remember? The more filthy the name the more approval.
All three stripers and above had nicknames, none gentle.

Had a platoon Lt. who had come from Artillery Unit.
He had a public speaking problem. On occasion he would favor the platoon with his appearance. He'd drop his head
when he began speaking, filed with pause, 'and uh, uh, uh...'
"I don't want no artillery coming on me........uh, I know you don't want no artillery coming on you."
(Your right Lt. I don't want no artillery coming on me.)

How 'bout cheese eaters, leaned the term in the military.
The head cheese eater...
Can't remember...formulating a catchy name was a common activity.

Okay, need some help here.
I was trying to remember what the troops called their superiors (ha).
The 1st Sgt was, the main war hog, First war pig and other sweet remembrances-remember? The more filthy the name the more approval.
All three stripers and above had nicknames, none gentle.

Had a platoon Lt. who had come from Artillery Unit.
He had a public speaking problem. On occasion he would favor the platoon with his appearance. He'd drop his head
when he began speaking, filed with pause, 'and uh, uh, uh...'
"I don't want no artillery coming on me........uh, I know you don't want no artillery coming on you."
(Your right Lt. I don't want no artillery coming on me.)

How 'bout cheese eaters, leaned the term in the military.
The head cheese eater...
Can't remember...formulating a catchy name was a common activity.

Only one that comes to mind was the 2nd lt's. We called them "butter bars" also known as 90 day OCS boy wonders or shake and bake. :)

We were all profane in those days.
Cussing and nasty things have been cleansed with time.
I can't remember, probably don't want to, how we'
couldn't spend an hour without profanity.

My order brother was in the Army Band his entire career. He joined during the Nam era and he retired from the Army, playing in the band the entire time. He never saw combat, nor was he ever deployed.

He's buried in Arlington National Cemetery, and because of the time frame in which he served, his government-created tombstone says "Vietnam" on it.

I know this is not the same as "stolen valor," but it struck me as odd and confusing.

My husband was a fighter pilot and was doing a recon mission over the South China Sea in '66. He spotted a group of junks loaded with pretty flowers and radioed his wing man that he was going to take a closer look. Out of the center of those junks came a SAM so fast, he never had time to even try to break the radar lock. Out of that tragedy came orders to all recon missions, "Never approach a gathering of junks, or the like."
I was a nurse in the Air Force from 1954 to 1957 and while the fighting in Korea was officially over, due to the dates I served, I am considered a Korean War Vet. Never was there nor have any desire to visit. I only ever used my G.I. bill to obtain advanced degrees in college. Never applied for any other benefits nor even talked about that war.

First time I've heard about SAM's in/on Junks: slow salute to the Mister.

I was four when WW II ended, rather than that all these other 'conflict' seem such a waste of good men.

Back