Vietnam War Wannabes

Gary O'

One of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes was about a guy like that; he told so many self-flattering tall tales, then he was kidnapped & taken about a space ship by aliens & nobody believed him. I like it so much, I've watched it over & over: "Hocus Pocus & Frisbee."
It's too bad they didn't take the rest

DGM

When I visited the Traveling Wall a few years ago I was greeted by a vet attired in full camo gear to include a bush hat. When I asked him where he was when in country he replied "Long Binh" (rough duty). Remember it takes over a dozen service members to support one soldier in combat.
I was lucky. When I was in basic training in Dec. 72 we were told we would not have to worry about being sent to Nam.

Llynn

I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club from 1966 through 1972. Sea duty was on a Destroyer Tender. We steamed into Viet Nam waters to attend to a disabled tin can. Captain made sure we were there long enough to qualify for combat pay and medals. I guess that makes me a Nam vet technically but certainly not any sort of hero. I salute the combat vets.

Grampa Don

I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club from 1966 through 1972. Sea duty was on a Destroyer Tender. We steamed into Viet Nam waters to attend to a disabled tin can. Captain made sure we were there long enough to qualify for combat pay and medals. I guess that makes me a Nam vet technically but certainly not any sort of hero. I salute the combat vets.
My story is similar. Submarines didn't see any combat, but we got close enough to rate ribbons. I never wore it and don't claim to be a Viet Nam Vet.

Don

I spent 1968-72 in the US Navy, as a Corpsman (Medic). I was never in harms way. I always had hot meals and a warm bed. Surprisingly, I never step foot on a ship, I was always stationed in Navy hospitals. I'm considered a Vietnam Veteran, due to the dates I served. But I don't consider myself as one. When well meaning people thank me for my service, I acknowledge it. Yet, rather than me, I wish they thank those, who gave up much more than I. They truly deserve admiration.
I have to say I ran into a "special ops" type, who never left New Jersey. Bullets fell out of his pockets when he got change. And for the good of the nation, his lips are still sealed. He just couldn't say where in "Nam" he had been. I remember that turkey.
Lucky you. I went 11 days without having a chance to clean up. We ate “C” rations right out of the container. Oh yummy!

I give the men who served in Special Forces a lot of credit. They never knew what they were getting into.

fmdog44

I was drafted in Feb. 69 but never went to Viet Nam and if ordered to do so I would have told them to eat it. I made sure my relatives knew my position and they were all fine with it. Young South Viet men could get draft determents by attending college while Americans were over there fighting for them!? Never.