Walking!

I admire all those who walk, my wife thinks walking is the answer to world peace. I am determined to keep my legs moving as long as I can. I was born with club feet, got polio in my lower back at age 9. Diagnosed with spinal stenosis at age 40. Walk with 2 canes, (gives me balance & avoids falls, the bane of all seniors). My PCP said he doesn't care how fast or how far I go but I need to keep moving on a daily basis. I therefore walk 2 miles daily, have lost weight & maintained the loss for 6 years. I have also been able to manage my Type II very well as a result.

toon_46.gif

Well I did my first walk down to the beach in a while, 1+ to the beach, up about a mile+ and then back, then back to the condo.
I missed my turn off the beach and wound up with a 6.5 mile walk instead of a 5.25 mile walk.

My back ached a bit but I did it.
So glad the surgery worked for me.

No walk for me today and my skates are in the shop. Something new today, propane delivery truck
wheels spinning not going anywhere. I did however break up 3 larger stumps.
Tomorrow, snow flurries with up 48k winds. High of -11,,,
Ha!!! bring it.

Walked 8 kilometres - 5 miles today with both girls.
Today I took the Dogger to give our youngest girl a break . It comes in handy for carrying stuff; leashes, warm drink, my phone, poo bags, blankets and extra sweaters and stuff. The tires needed pumping up and I managed that without over inflating them.

I've had to curtail my walking routine because of incident that happen after a snow event last month.On that day we got about 5 inches
Our apt complex driveway is always plowed but not our front sidewalk at the same time, which is always**** annoying
I walked out the front door as I always do to take my early walk.I didn't see a patch of ice, I slid but didn't fall.In the process I did something to my left knee{my good one}
After having xrays taken,I now have moderate osteoarthritis. I now take 2 short walks weather permitting

Any walkers here?

Why do you walk?
Is it for exercise?
Or is it for fun?
Perhaps you walk your dogs or kids to school?
Do you walk daily?

I walk my dogs everyday and it’s by far, my favourite thing to do. We usually walk 3 to 4 kilometres a day. Sometimes it’s more. Sometimes it’s less but no matter where we go, we always have fun.

View attachment 51035

View attachment 51036

View attachment 51038

Is is it possible to get the last picture deleted? I can’t seem to do it.
I'm a walker. I tend to walk every day unless it is nasty outside, and then I dance ( well, I dance even if I do walk 🤪. I walk for exercise and just because I love everything about it...being in nature, feeling strong, meditative benefits...

Another 8 kilometres- 5 mile walk today.
Taking this dog stroller certainly has its advantages.
I can take a hot tea, since there’s a cup holder. It’s got a place to put leashes and my iPhone as well as tissues and dog treats. There’s a storage place at the bottom for things like sweaters, blankets.

When my older dog gets tired I put her in and that way I know I’m not over walking her. It gives me a harder workout pushing it 5 miles but it also offers support so I can maintain a fast gait.

I figure if I keep up 5 miles a day I’ll be walking 35 miles a week or 56 kilometres.

647084FB-D522-405E-B752-3B4F8CD18CDD.jpeg

I've had to curtail my walking routine because of incident that happen after a snow event last month.On that day we got about 5 inches
Our apt complex driveway is always plowed but not our front sidewalk at the same time, which is always**** annoying
I walked out the front door as I always do to take my early walk.I didn't see a patch of ice, I slid but didn't fall.In the process I did something to my left knee{my good one}
After having xrays taken,I now have moderate osteoarthritis. I now take 2 short walks weather permitting
I’m sorry to learn this Sue. Yes slipping can jerk our bodies out of sync suddenly which can be incredibly painful. Have you considered seeing a chiropractor to help get your proper gait back?
Im happy to know you are still walking though.
I didn’t see your post before I posted my last one.

Last edited:
I'm a walker. I tend to walk every day unless it is nasty outside, and then I dance ( well, I dance even if I do walk 🤪. I walk for exercise and just because I love everything about it...being in nature, feeling strong, meditative benefits...
There aren’t many who comment on the meditative benefits but thanks for mentioning that. There’s definitely meditative qualities to walking which has a direct influence on our stress levels. It’s a great time to think things through too. Great therapy🤓👍

I’m ok with members roaming off the Beeton Path regarding the topic of walking. There’s only so much that can be said about the topic of walking.
I appreciate the off topic conversation. To me it resembles actual conversations that could happen while walking. It’s all good.

Today I needed to go out shopping so we only walked 4 kilometres or 2 1/2 miles. We didn’t take the dog stroller. Lol 😌

Last edited:
I'm still going on my daily walks,though not as far as I use to.My knee feels alot better than it did in Dec. I started going to physical therapy twice/wk in Jan which has helped.The exercises my therapist has given me are part of my daily routine

We're strange...have a 1/4 mile circular driveway, so hub and I usually walk 4-5 miles a day, "reading"...yep you read right here...we're both avid readers so as long as we are headed the same clockwise or counter clockwise direction, we don't run into each other and are good to go! Too many books, too little time is our motto. Its great, no cars, people or dogs to worry about dodging. Need those new bookcases hub just built, too!

Great morning for a walk in the park. 51 degrees no wind & sunny. A change from going to the fitness center. About 1/2 way thru my 3 mile walk when a group of college women's cross country runners ran past me. I was in my jeans & hoodie they were in spandex booty shorts & sports bras. Chilvary is not dead not far behind the women's team was the men's team. Ladies 1st. I'm guessing

Back