Walking!

Kayaking is a lot of fun and it's a good workout too. When I had my lake house I used to take the kayak out early am while the fog was still lifting off the water, it was so peaceful and serene.

The Saco River, over in Maine has some nice stretches, Jim. Canoe or kayak and there's enough pick-up/put-in spots along the way, depending on how far you wish to go. We've got a canoe, 2 kayaks, and a paddle boat at the lake but the canoe and kayaks are portable when we want a little change. I've paddled the Saco in the canoe (with my daughter) but am getting too decrepit to slide into the kayaks. Even with the canoe, my knees stiffen up so much i need someone to steady the canoe when I groan my way back out after a paddle. Maybe at 85 I should not complain and be glad that I can still do it at all. :D

The Saco River, over in Maine has some nice stretches, Jim. Canoe or kayak and there's enough pick-up/put-in spots along the way, depending on how far you wish to go. We've got a canoe, 2 kayaks, and a paddle boat at the lake but the canoe and kayaks are portable when we want a little change. I've paddled the Saco in the canoe (with my daughter) but am getting too decrepit to slide into the kayaks. Even with the canoe, my knees stiffen up so much i need someone to steady the canoe when I groan my way back out after a paddle. Maybe at 85 I should not complain and be glad that I can still do it at all. :D

Good for you still doing that at 85 Dave, I'll be happy if I can still kayak at 75 :D.

The Saco river has a lot of beautiful spots, I'd love to kayak on it some time.

It took a few days for those shin splints to clear up, but I'm now back to walking with the weight vest when we walk the nature trail. I started back with 15 lbs for a couple of days, then moved it back to 20. So far I've done 8 walks with the vest and I'm getting used to it. I'm going to stick with 20 lbs for the time being. That's 22 lbs when you add it the 2 lbs that the vest weighs by itself without any weights. So with my current weight of 210 lbs, that a little over 10% of body weight. I'm feeling pretty good about this. Glad I bought the thing.

That sounds great trade. How are you finding it on your knees?
Are you getting the results you expected?

The past days have been great walking days. Today is dull and rainy but I did get a good shot of these geese.
The other day I saw two muskrats fairly close. Those things are cute. A grey heron was flying about but I missed getting a shot. Perhaps next time
8EE55728-4AB8-4444-B07C-50ADEB224BD9.jpg

18BD4B07-D172-45DE-ADDE-0405C94B38F4.jpg

0146B834-C493-4F78-84E1-A3F601A84011.jpg

Yes I do walk for 20 to 30 minutes daily. Walking has lots of health benefits, especially it is good for your heart. It is one of the best cardio workout. I feel very fresh after walking and it helps to keep my body active the whole day. When I have started walking, I felt very tired but day by day I used to for this. Really walking is the solution for many problems. This will also help for increasing appetite. So do walking!

Good for you Ralph. You are absolutely right. It is a great cardio workout which can be very enjoyable and something that can be worked up to. A short walk is better than no walk and each week you can increase it slightly. It’s also got great psychological benefits. Since walking increases feel good chemicals in our brain like serotonin and dopamine as well as adrenaline then it has a positive impact on our mental well being and our moods. This can be life changing for some.
I can’t imagine my life without walking.

The other day I found a riverbank full of wild periwinkle

0D8B4DF3-095E-446B-947D-6ABF1AF9ACA4.jpg

Rivers are running deep and wide and muddy from collecting all the runoff

0416EDA7-B296-47BD-BF3E-C35F5A39422A.jpg

B2BA663F-0AB0-4266-B7A0-8E6F35805EEE.jpg

Canada Goose

A1995A3D-1EE3-4104-9C6F-B4165D29B107.jpg

80D1618A-D7AE-454E-B712-852D0C2F7E72.jpg

I do make an extra effort to walk, get at least 10,000 steps a day. Doesn't always happen. But, I have heard if you don't use it, you will lose it. Your heart, muscles will deteriorate if you don't use them so I am walking for that purpose. I also have two small dogs, and they have to go outside. I like to walk them around a small area, they are older dogs and one is favoring either the hip or knee. But I also put them out on the patio to get fresh air. Walking is so pleasurable, air, sunshine, people you may talk to, etc.

I take a 30-minute walk almost daily. There is a nice (man-made) lake near me with a walking path. Lots of ducks, geese, squirrels. I walk mainly to use up sugar (diabetes) and to promote circulation. Walking is also good for my varicose veins.

The BS story about walking 10,000 steps has been debunked. Now it is 4,000. Also debunked is the advantage of eating chicken over beef. If you eat chicken with the skin on they are both not good for you.

The BS story about walking 10,000 steps has been debunked. Now it is 4,000. Also debunked is the advantage of eating chicken over beef. If you eat chicken with the skin on they are both not good for you.

For every bunk, there is a debunk. My motto for food is anything in moderation is okay, too much of anything is not good.

Is Chicken Skin Bad For You?

It is a common recommendation by nutritionists to remove chicken skin before cooking and eating. It has been long believed that the fatty sections of poultry are bad for you, but lately this has been disputed. So what is the answer to “Is chicken skin bad for you?”
Is Chicken Skin Bad for You?

Actually, if eaten in moderation, chicken skin has many benefits and can be quite healthy for you. Certainly chicken with skin adds calories to your meal but not much. You can also add flavor by cooking chicken with the skin.
Here are reasons why chicken skin is not bad for you:
1. The Fat in Chicken Skin Are Mainly Unsaturated

Most fat in chicken skin are unsaturated, which is good for your heart. Although there are also a little saturated fat in chicken skin, it is known that saturated fat can assist in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as regulating hormone. So do not worry about the fat in chicken skin.

2. The Calories Are Not Much Higher

Is chicken skin bad for you because it contains more calories? Actually, a 12-ounce serving of skin-on chicken with the bone only contains 50 more calories than the same amount of skinless chicken breast. This is great news because you can stop sacrificing the flavor of chicken skin by modifying your calorie intake elsewhere.

3. It Will Satisfy You

Your appetite needs to be satisfied and remaining the skin on will surely be satisfying. Then you won't crave sweets and other junk foods. As soon as these cravings are under control, you will enjoy your healthier diet.

4. You Can Cook with Less Salt

When you cook your chicken with the skin on, your dish will have more flavor. Flavorful food requires less salt to make it tasty. So you'll consume less salt than before, which will be beneficial for your heart.

5. It Helps Prevent the Meat from Absorbing Oil

When you cook chicken at a high temperature, the skin works as a barrier from oil because it will absorb the inside moisture and turn into a crust. In this way it will block excess oil from being absorbed into the poultry meat.
Notes on Eating Chicken Skin

• Eat Chicken Skin Moderately: The reason you should eat chicken skin in moderation is the fact that it is full of omega-6. The fatty acid has been proved to have the effect of increasing inflammation in the body if too much is consumed.

• Do Not Eat Charred Skin: The best way to serve chicken skin is when it is slightly crispy. You should not eat crunchy or charred skin because overcooked chicken skin has little nutritional value and may do harm to your health.

https://www.newhealthadvisor.com/is-chicken-skin-bad-for-you.html

Greetings fancicoffee
It’s great to see another dog walker. Dogs are a great excuse to walk plus always make it more fun.

That sounds like a lovely walk win. Walking amongst nature is my favourite type of walks

Walking is good for me. Whether it works for the rest of ya is none of my concern.

The weather sure is gorgeous for walking.
I sing often. The acoustics in the forest is amazing. There’s so much wildlife to see.
The other day I saw a scarlet tangent right in front of me. Behind it white flowering trees offered a stunning background to show this bird off. It was truly spectacular.

It is the most gorgeous colour of red ever and has the nicest song. . I so wish I had my camera because it would have been an incredible shot. This is a picture I scooped online just to show you the colour brilliance of these birds. Would this bird catch your attention?
B3179A27-DF1B-45DE-8019-FE7846508EC9.jpeg

BAE70EBB-B403-4EF5-8062-DC01FA666AAD.jpg

These gardens were so pretty I had to snap some pictures. The colours striking.
I’ve always wanted some of the bright purple stuff that comes up every spring.
Phlox I think .

Chainsaw carvings. Really outstanding craftsmanship. This one looked much nicer a couple of years ago. It’s weathered now.

D808D75B-5891-4EA3-8CA1-C47E3C34A5D9.jpg

Attachments

• C03A50A9-2FB9-4876-A999-9496683A605B.jpg
    C03A50A9-2FB9-4876-A999-9496683A605B.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 13
Horse and her colt
CCED6D1F-1E9F-432F-9C53-F349770D400B.jpg

The trillium is our provincial flower and there’s a $100 fine of caught picking them. They come in white to deep burgundy.
A4C01C46-432D-4255-8DE3-F94716308D1B.jpg

Blue Dock and Old Mill

077A6B58-F55E-4159-B26B-EE0386F4EE8A.jpg

Church Scenery
Note: i have a soft spot for church pictures.
They seem to offer such serenity

D1AC326F-0158-446E-8968-9EBE61C07CED.jpg

A ‘couldn’t resist’ Shot

5079090E-22D9-4048-82D6-6432A0DE25DE.jpg

Horse and her colt
View attachment 66219

The trillium is our provincial flower and there’s a $100 fine of caught picking them. They come in white to deep burgundy.
View attachment 66220

Blue Dock and Old Mill

View attachment 66221

Church Scenery
Note: i have a soft spot for church pictures.
They seem to offer such serenity

View attachment 66222

A ‘couldn’t resist’ Shot

View attachment 66223
I'm reeeaallly enjoying all your walking posts and photos!! What a treat to see that male Scarlet Tanager!! We also have them in northeastern America but I've never seen one...not a bright red male for sure!!

I've lived as far north as Pennsylvania but I was schoolgirl then and probably not paying attention to birds as much as boys. Now I'm further south but they like large uninhabited areas which I'm not living in so much
anymore.

The house covered with ivy isn’t a picture I took. Last night I uploaded 5 pictures but they repeated 3 times so I had to delete them and start over and somehow the picture of the ivy covered house got uploaded accidentally . .

Back