What’s the most boring sport, and what would you do to make it more exciting?

To me golf is boring. 🥱 It would be more exciting if the players were topless, or naked, but not by much.

I know it sounds strange but, the most boring sport to watch for me is ice hockey. Yes it is fast action. And exciting. But, really! All it is is men body slamming one another. What skill is there in that? It is all very predictable. If body slamming was made illegal then the players would have to actually play the game employing skill with the stick, menuverability, tactics, strategy, and teamwork. And, they'd have to use their brains rather than their brawn. Then ice hockey would be exciting to watch.
I think you're referring to the NHL style of play. You might enjoy broadcast hockey at the Olympic level — or any high-level, non-pro international competition. Still fast action, but those games are essentially clean, and the players' finesse is obvious.

Most of my friends can't understand how anyone can watch the sport of sailing,
such as the America's Cup racing.
Does look boring to most people, and I can understand that.

Like a lot of sports, it takes a bunch of money to pull it off.
The skill of those who can read the wind and bend it to their will,
keeps me watching.

I am So Lucky that my wife was an avid fan of the sport when we very first met.
We never miss a run up to the Cup or any of the matches.

As far as what can be done to make it more exciting, adding the foils was one.
They can turn on a Dime and reach unheard of speeds.

I am an addict when it comes to this sport.

I remember watching Australia ll win the America's Cup in 1983. I was about 2 hours late for work because there was very little wind.
I remember Aussie Prime Minister Bob Hawke say,

"Any boss who sacks anyone today for not turning up is a bum"

I think you're referring to the NHL style of play. You might enjoy broadcast hockey at the Olympic level — or any high-level, non-pro international competition. Still fast action, but those games are essentially clean, and the players' finesse is obvious.
JBR. I sort of agree with you but..........Team Canada men's hockey roster at the Olympics is 99 percent NHL players. No player from the lesser leagues is going to be there. Same thing for the IIHF tournaments at the u18, or u20 level. Same thing for the women's Team Canada roster. JImB.

Golf, for sure. I'm surprised it took so many posts to bring that up. I'm sure golf is fun to play for golfers, but watching it is boring beyond belief. Maybe if the grounds crew would hide the holes in different places between rounds. Or maybe have three holes in each green, but you have to guess which one is the right hole.

IDK. The sports mentioned are interesting to me enough as is. If I found them boring, I wouldn't watch. What can we do to make them more exciting? This isn't ancient Rome where someone has to die before the crowd finds it entertaining. Sheesh!!
:eek:

Oh, that's easy...soccer..ahhhheeeeuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzyukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!![I'd rather kiss my wife than watch a soccer match] how to improve it???? how bout eliminating it...FOREVER!!!!!

Although the question is about sports that are boring, I think there is an assumption that because it is boring, we will not watch it. Given that, I also stay away from sports that make me anxious (because someone might get hurt - like in car racing or football). I find golfing boring because it's one thing to be out on the golf course walking and enjoying the atmosphere, but it's another thing to watch them on TV. What would make it more exciting? Throw the golf ball in the hole, lol.

Although the question is about sports that are boring, I think there is an assumption that because it is boring, we will not watch it. Given that, I also stay away from sports that make me anxious (because someone might get hurt - like in car racing or football). I find golfing boring because it's one thing to be out on the golf course walking and enjoying the atmosphere, but it's another thing to watch them on TV. What would make it more exciting? Throw the golf ball in the hole, lol.
Have you watched "Disk Golf"? They throw a special frisbee and toss it into a net type hole. :)

I use to hate Pro Baseball because it was sooooooo slow. I hear they put new rules in to speed up the game. We don't have TV, so I haven't seen a game for a few years. Has it sped up?

Have you watched "Disk Golf"? They throw a special frisbee and toss it into a net type hole. :)

yes and it looks like fun but I've never played disk golf. There are no courses around here that I've seen. people are too into traditional golf and are kind of snobs about it. But I'd love to try disk golf. :)

I use to hate Pro Baseball because it was sooooooo slow. I hear they put new rules in to speed up the game. We don't have TV, so I haven't seen a game for a few years. Has it sped up?
This year, MLB says that the average game time has been reduced by around 30 minutes. The pitch clock has been adapted to by most pitchers, and the umps are calling more baulks, and the intentional walk is now just a hand sign from the bench to the home plate ump who sends the batter to first without any pitches being thrown to him. The bases are a bit bigger, and the most important change is video replay that can be requested by the manager on doubtful plays. Later innings replacement pitchers have to face at least three batters before they are changed.

Pitchers hands and gloves and hats are checked by the home plate ump at the end of each inning for illegal substances as they walk off the field. Umps all have radio sets with earphones and mikes on them, so they can talk to the MLB decision room in New York directly from the field on disputed calls.

Catchers and pitchers have a "Pitch Com " that they use to send signals to each other about pitches to be thrown. The pitcher wears his inside his hat, the catcher wears his on his thigh. The Pitch Com has a number of push buttons that send a signal to the other guy. Hand signs are now only used to set the infield alignment for a specific batter. The outfield shift has been mostly eliminated, and the infield players have to stay on their respective sides of second base.

Sliding with spikes up is now called a lot more than it used to be. Most base runners now wear protective gloves on both hands and the slide is now mostly head first, so the runner can touch the base and maintain contact with it, until the base ump calls a time out. If the runner looses contact with the base, he can be tagged out by the infielder if the play is still in motion. JImB.

This year, MLB says that the average game time has been reduced by around 30 minutes. The pitch clock has been adapted to by most pitchers, and the umps are calling more baulks, and the intentional walk is now just a hand sign from the bench to the home plate ump who sends the batter to first without any pitches being thrown to him. The bases are a bit bigger, and the most important change is video replay that can be requested by the manager on doubtful plays. Later innings replacement pitchers have to face at least three batters before they are changed.

Pitchers hands and gloves and hats are checked by the home plate ump at the end of each inning for illegal substances as they walk off the field. Umps all have radio sets with earphones and mikes on them, so they can talk to the MLB decision room in New York directly from the field on disputed calls.

Catchers and pitchers have a "Pitch Com " that they use to send signals to each other about pitches to be thrown. The pitcher wears his inside his hat, the catcher wears his on his thigh. The Pitch Com has a number of push buttons that send a signal to the other guy. Hand signs are now only used to set the infield alignment for a specific batter. The outfield shift has been mostly eliminated, and the infield players have to stay on their respective sides of second base.

Sliding with spikes up is now called a lot more than it used to be. Most base runners now wear protective gloves on both hands and the slide is now mostly head first, so the runner can touch the base and maintain contact with it, until the base ump calls a time out. If the runner looses contact with the base, he can be tagged out by the infielder if the play is still in motion. JImB.
WOW Thnx! I am a Cardinal fan and I just checked YouTube and they have highlights I can watch. :)

1694006246218.jpeg

Back