What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Aneeda72, I serve different things at different parties. When we had about 80 people we tented part of the backyard and rented tables & chairs. Otherwise, people manage to find a place to land... my house easily seats 35 before we break out the folding chairs. Heck, at any given time there are usually 8-10 guys hanging around the garage kegerator, just shooting the breeze.

For parties over 50 people I usually make three of these entrees: tortellini alfredo, my version of chicken l'orange, chicken marengo, sausage peppers and onions, chicken with provolone and artichoke hearts, ham, calzones, a make-ahead version of steak Diane that I devised, chicken salad with pineapple and walnuts, and I can't remember what else. Each party is different.

Sides have included various vegetables, homemade mini potato knishes, Caesar, Greek and other salads.

Desserts - I've made various mousses, cookies, tiny cakes like petit fours, tart shells with different fillings, and other goodies that I can't immediately bring to mind.

I've also served pasta with several sauces in crock pots like pesto, tomato, tomato with meatballs, and shrimp scampi. Extra meatballs and sausage on the side.
I've planned menus centered around cold cuts, rolls, cold salads and ice cream sandwiches that I made up a week in advance.
When people visit from the east coast we often have a Mexican BBQ with carne asada, chicken ranchero, tamales, tostada fixings, rice, beans, guacamole, salsa, etc.

I put together a sweet and russet baked potato bar with oodles of toppings and sides a couple of years ago for 50-60 people. It was a big hit and 90% of the work was done two days advance (it was a party for the day after my son's wedding so I didn't want to be a kitchen slave that day).

We throw 4 pizza and cookie decorating parties every year between Christmas and New Years. Each party has 30-35 attendees. I make 24-28 pizzas throughout each party and thousands of cookies throughout the season. The parties are a hoot and we were all heartbroken to not have them last year, but the 2021 season looks very promising!

My parents had a lot of parties over the years so I come by this naturally. I don't stress about the glitches, my husband, children and guests are very helpful, and we are comfortable having people in our home. We greet and point first-time guests toward whatever they'll need, introduce them to people we think they'll like, and then release them to the wild!

@hollydolly BFF= Best Friend Forever. They've been close buddies since freshman year in college.

p.s. Parties aren't terribly expensive to throw if you cook from scratch and are willing to do the work yourself.
p.p.s. My mother used say that if you want to go to a party, chances are you'll have throw. I love going to parties so I host them often.

@StarSong yes I’ve read that when you go to a party, small or large, you have a party in return. We never had parties at home when I was a child, although parents went to work parties. I’ve never even had a birthday party, not even a family birthday party for me. Although I’ve had family birthday parties, xmas, stuff like that for other members of the family, but only family or one “stranger” invited.

We did spaghettI, turkey at thanksgiving, and the potato bar thing. Everything simple though. I am simply amazed and awed at your skill in all the planning and cooking. How did you come to know 50 people that would accept, be comfortable, and come to such parties?

Sounds like you have a big house but how did everyone park their car? Sorry you can tell I just think this is awesome of you. Did you ever consider doing this for a living-I guess that would be a catering service or party planning service or combination.

I am just so I impressed.

Did you use paper products? For dishes etc, red cups, plastic silverware? How did you manage the bathrooms? Did you order outside potties? 😂😂😂. So curious, am I. But, anyway, amazing, just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

@StarSong yes I’ve read that when you go to a party, small or large, you have a party in return. We never had parties at home when I was a child, although parents went to work parties. I’ve never even had a birthday party, not even a family birthday party for me. Although I’ve had family birthday parties, xmas, stuff like that for other members of the family, but only family or one “stranger” invited.

We did spaghettI, turkey at thanksgiving, and the potato bar thing. Everything simple though. I am simply amazed and awed at your skill in all the planning and cooking. How did you come to know 50 people that would accept, be comfortable, and come to such parties?

Sounds like you have a big house but how did everyone park their car? Sorry you can tell I just think this is awesome of you. Did you ever consider doing this for a living-I guess that would be a catering service or party planning service or combination.

I am just so I impressed.

Did you use paper products? For dishes etc, red cups, plastic silverware? How did you manage the bathrooms? Did you order outside potties? 😂😂😂. So curious, am I. But, anyway, amazing, just amazing. Thanks for sharing.
I'll PM you. Don't want to bore everybody with this...

I didn't take an early morning walk,instead walked 3 times around our community garden circle after I watered the plants at 6:30
This morning,I will take a long walk to/from my church{6 blocks} for the 10:30 service
Our summer worship service always starts on July 4th weekend 1 service at 10am in our chapel but not this yr.The chapel is unavailable because of the ongoing construction in the church ,our services are being held in our sanctuary.There's always a small crowd on the holiday weekend,the turnout gets better as the summer goes on.Today will be the 1st Sun without our retired pastor,Tom who I already miss.
The rest of my day,read the paper,,don't know if we'll have a family zoom meeting this afternoon
may go sit outside in the garden to read my book

I didn't take an early morning walk,instead walked 3 times around our community garden circle after I watered the plants at 6:30
This morning,I will take a long walk to/from my church{6 blocks} for the 10:30 service
Our summer worship service always starts on July 4th weekend 1 service at 10am in our chapel but not this yr.The chapel is unavailable because of the ongoing construction in the church ,our services are being held in our sanctuary.There's always a small crowd on the holiday weekend,the turnout gets better as the summer goes on.Today will be the 1st Sun without our retired pastor,Tom who I already miss.
The rest of my day,read the paper,,don't know if we'll have a family zoom meeting this afternoon
may go sit outside in the garden to read my book
Sue, did your pastor retire to the area or is his family moving away?

An update from my morning post,there were about 50 of us at church,service lasted an hr
This afternoon,my close friend,Marcia called,asked if I could come over around 4,feed family dog,'Aker' my 'buddy boy',take him for a walk.She was going to friend's house for early dinner,hubby Dave is in Cleveland visiting his mom
I just got back from there was the highlight of my day,especially when 'bb' licked my nose when I bent down to hug goodbye

It's just me and the dog. We have been sitting on the patio watching vintage WW II airplanes fly over...fighter planes, huge bombers. Our city is having an air fest this weekend and a number of vintage planes are on display and some are available to take anyone interested on a short flight. There were several articles in the paper the past couple of days about two veterans who flew in similar planes during the war. Both men are 99 years old but bright and alert and ready to go for a ride. They had some stories to tell. Other than that I am preparing my July 4th dinner menu of bbq brisket, fresh shelled pinto beans, corn on the cob and whatever else I think sounds good.

Went grocery shopping and bought about 9 lbs of cherries, 2 pineaples, over 4 lbs of bananas, over 2 lbs of grapes, and 1 lb of strawberries. That's almost 20 lbs of fruits for myself which should last about 2 weeks.
Today's lunch I had about 1 lb of cherries and nothing else.

Hoping it was a rear tire
Front ones can really send you in a horrific direction

Also, should replace with all new tires
It was offside front ( drivers side for those who aren't aware) .....:oops:,which is why it shook him up I think , more than he would normally be in a similar situation.....yes he's had all 4 tyres replaced today and the balancing done.. ....on a Maserati , I can tell you it wasn't cheap..and nor should it be but you know what I mean, I'm sure.....fortunately it seems that there was very little damage done to the wheel, which is what he was afraid of...

wheel.jpg

Went grocery shopping and bought about 9 lbs of cherries, 2 pineaples, over 4 lbs of bananas, over 2 lbs of grapes, and 1 lb of strawberries. That's almost 20 lbs of fruits for myself which should last about 2 weeks.
Today's lunch I had about 1 lb of cherries and nothing else.
I can easily eat several pounds of strawberries in a week 😁

Call me anal, but one faulty tire makes me uneasy.
I'd upgrade.....all the way around.
The rims/wheels are also suspect.

But, reading HD's post, sounds like Mr HD has it covered
yes absolutely... aside from his own job, the one thing my o/h knows his way around are cars... he's car mad....and has always done most of his own repairs, even building vehicles and renovating others when he was younger..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back