What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a good part of my day texting a terminally ill friend. Besides all of her medical problems, last week she was chasing a spider and wound up breaking her arm. So she needs some extra help while at home. Her family is arguing about who "has to" take care of her. She is scared, alone, and she feels like a burden.

Right now she is in the hospital, getting her ammonia levels straightened out. Yesterday, I surprised her and came for a visit. She was so happy to see me!!! Apparently no one in her family has checked in on her. Today, all she can talk about is how I made her day yesterday!! ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
With family like that, I’m glad she has good, caring friends like you, @Trila 😊

I'm resting today because I worked this morning. Came home about 10:15 and watered my newly-reseeded lawn. That's it. I've been fiddling around on my laptop and watching TV. Off tomorrow, which is usually a work day for me, because I traded shifts with a co-worker who's normally off on Friday. I'll work for her on Sunday when she wants to attend a family function.

I loathe working Sundays, but doing a kindness for a friend trumps being off on Sunday.

Had a 12 noon dentist appt for a cleaning.
Came home and ate lunch. Remember when they used to tell us to wait an hour till eating after a cleaning, well they don't do that anymore.

Will do some watering, it's my day. And, I'm slowly adding to my collection of old clothes and shoes to give to Goodwill.
They have trucks set up in various lots around town. So, it's an easy drop off.

After visiting Egypt many years ago, I was fascinated by 2 huge statues called the "Colossi of Memnon". I searched for years to find a small replica for my curio cabinet to no avail. I was shopping on Etsy some time ago, and found one! It turns out the company scans the pieces with a laser, and then uses 3 D printing to generate a replica any size. Strangely, th company is in the Ukraine, but sp what. I placed the order, and after a long wait, received the statue.
It now has a place of honor in my curio cabinet. :)

mem2.jpgmemnon.jpg

After visiting Egypt many years ago, I was fascinated by 2 huge statues called the "Colossi of Memnon". I searched for years to find a small replica for my curio cabinet to no avail. I was shopping on Etsy some time ago, and found one! It turns out the company scans the pieces with a laser, and then uses 3 D printing to generate a replica any size. Strangely, th company is in the Ukraine, but sp what. I placed the order, and after a long wait, received the statue.
It now has a place of honor in my curio cabinet. :)

View attachment 190399View attachment 190400
Awesome!

@Trila, good on you for visiting your friend. With a family like that, she needs friends for sure.

What I'm going to do today is still up in the air. Friday is usually a work day for me, and I keep thinking it's Saturday (although that's also a work day).

It's sunny but not going to be very warm...only upper 60s. After a waltz around the flower garden, I'll make a decision. Heck, it's not even full daylight yet. Somehow it seems that once I've had my coffee, it should be light outside.

The bed is made, Maggiecat's litter box has been cleaned, and I'm dressed. Combined with having had coffee, I'm ready to get the day started.

3D printers are a godsend. A piece on the locking mechanism on my screen door broke, and after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to replace it, DSIL made the piece on his 3D printer. Et voila!

I'm resting today because I worked this morning. Came home about 10:15 and watered my newly-reseeded lawn. That's it. I've been fiddling around on my laptop and watching TV. Off tomorrow, which is usually a work day for me, because I traded shifts with a co-worker who's normally off on Friday. I'll work for her on Sunday when she wants to attend a family function.

I loathe working Sundays, but doing a kindness for a friend trumps being off on Sunday.
What type of work are you doing, GAX?

@StarSong I'm the biscuit maker at a local fast food place that used to cater to the elderly and now "caters" to everybody. Most folks use the drive up window since the pandemic started and our dining room was closed. It's open now but not used a lot.

I'm at work at 4 am (!!) cranking out biscuits right and left. At the end of my shift, around 10 am, I often feel like I've made thousands of the darned things. Actually, it's probably only about five to seven hundred. Everybody else there is cross-trained to do every job there is. When I applied I said I'd make biscuits, period. They wanted a biscuit maker so they agreed. Lucky me! Making up the orders, manning (personning?) the grill, prepping? Yuk. The only other thing I do is clean up after myself.

Going to a couple of grocery stores today to replenish produce and a few other items. Learned yesterday that my son, his 7 months pregnant wife, and their two sizeable dogs will be staying with us Sunday to Monday night, possibly longer, because their power will be shut off while their contractor and the city work on reworking their elderly, out of code, electrical setup.

This is the beginning of a remodel phase for them. The plan is for them to stay with us periodically as the work is done.

The big wrinkle is their dogs: our 11 pound, 14 year old dog is quite terrified of them. They're sweet but large, energetic and um, exuberant. One is too large and powerful for DH or me (or our DIL, even pre-pregnancy) to manage on a leash, so taking them for a midday walk around the block to discharge some energy isn't possible.

We'll have to see how all this plays out. Hoping that with time the dogs will become fast friends...

@StarSong I'm the biscuit maker at a local fast food place that used to cater to the elderly and now "caters" to everybody. Most folks use the drive up window since the pandemic started and our dining room was closed. It's open now but not used a lot.

I'm at work at 4 am (!!) cranking out biscuits right and left. At the end of my shift, around 10 am, I often feel like I've made thousands of the darned things. Actually, it's probably only about five to seven hundred. Everybody else there is cross-trained to do every job there is. When I applied I said I'd make biscuits, period. They wanted a biscuit maker so they agreed. Lucky me! Making up the orders, manning (personning?) the grill, prepping? Yuk. The only other thing I do is clean up after myself.
What a cool job! I'd like doing that.

I spent 3 days with fatigue from chemo. Practically all I did was sleep. Yesterday, I washed the dog bed and did a couple of other loads of laundry. Went back to rearranging the kitchen. Discovered the dog cookies I routinely give the dog ("night night cookies") are 68 (!) calories each, so now limiting him to one per night. Talked to my cousin, a close friend, and one of my sons for 1.5 hours each. This is why I don't like talking on the phone. There are too many people who talk as much as I do, and it takes up a lot of time. My cousin is wheelchair-bound with multiple sclerosis. My friend is a trucker and it helps him pass the time - plus he is funny and interestng. My son is not fond of long phone calls, and I'm always surprised that our conversations last so long. He is very interesting to talk to.

Today, while my daughter is at work, I plan to collect all her stuff that she has strewn all over the house, and put it in her empty closet. Kitchen chores. More laundry. Maybe groom the dog a bit. I think he goes to the groomer next week, but no one here knows how to groom a Wheaten. So I'm going to deal groom his head and tell my daughter to tell the groomer not to touch it. I can tell I have more energy today because I care about how his head looks.

I am going to try very hard to stay out of bed all day and evening. Sleeping all the time ruins my sleep schedule.

We had two tornado warnings last night. We went to the basement in during the first one. It was hard for me to climb back up the stairs, so I just went into a closet. I watched the radar the whole time, and we were fine, but taking no chances. This is the 3rd or 4th time in the past couple of weeks that we've had watches and warnings ... and the first time in 12 years.

Last edited:
....just got home from visiting my terminally ill friend, in the hospital. She not doing well, but then, she really isn't expected to get better. 😢 Anyway, I told her a dirty joke and got her to laugh so hard that she turned dark red and couldn't breath. I thought I was going to have to call her nurse!!! But she did recovered quickly, and she said that she was glad that I came & gave her a reason to laugh....it made her day!

@Trila, good on you for visiting your friend. With a family like that, she needs friends for sure.

What I'm going to do today is still up in the air. Friday is usually a work day for me, and I keep thinking it's Saturday (although that's also a work day).

It's sunny but not going to be very warm...only upper 60s. After a waltz around the flower garden, I'll make a decision. Heck, it's not even full daylight yet. Somehow it seems that once I've had my coffee, it should be light outside.

The bed is made, Maggiecat's litter box has been cleaned, and I'm dressed. Combined with having had coffee, I'm ready to get the day started.

3D printers are a godsend. A piece on the locking mechanism on my screen door broke, and after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to replace it, DSIL made the piece on his 3D printer. Et voila!
So far, I don't think any of her family has visited her....I have some bad words going on in my head about them!

It sounds like you will have a productive day. My cat (Andy) sends a big hello to Maggie!

Well..suffice it to say...it's now 10.45 pm...

no-words-to-describe-this-day.jpg

I spent 3 days with fatigue from chemo. Practically all I did was sleep. Yesterday, I washed the dog bed and did a couple of other loads of laundry. Went back to rearranging the kitchen. Discovered the dog cookies I routinely give the dog ("night night cookies") are 68 (!) calories each, so now limiting him to one per night. Talked to my cousin, a close friend, and one of my sons for 1.5 hours each. This is why I don't like talking on the phone. There are too many people who talk as much as I do, and it takes up a lot of time. My cousin is wheelchair-bound with multiple sclerosis. My friend is a trucker and it helps him pass the time - plus he is funny and interestng. My son is not fond of long phone calls, and I'm always surprised that our conversations last so long. He is very interesting to talk to.

Today, while my daughter is at work, I plan to collect all her stuff that she has strewn all over the house, and put it in her empty closet. Kitchen chores. More laundry. Maybe groom the dog a bit. I think he goes to the groomer next week, but no one here knows how to groom a Wheaten. So I'm going to deal groom his head and tell my daughter to tell the groomer not to touch it. I can tell I have more energy today because I care about how his head looks.

I am going to try very hard to stay out of bed all day and evening. Sleeping all the time ruins my sleep schedule.

We had two tornado warnings last night. We went to the basement in during the first one. It was hard for me to climb back up the stairs, so I just went into a closet. I watched the radar the whole time, and we were fine, but taking no chances. This is the 3rd or 4th time in the past couple of weeks that we've had watches and warnings ... and the first time in 12 years.
So sorry to hear you are going through chemo, I had no idea. I can tell you love your little dog, I had to see what a Wheaten looks like, so cute.

dog.jpg

Anything like this?

The live steam radiator in my living room sprang a leak!

I rarely go in there but the sounds that the radiator was making made me curious. When I approached the heater I felt the squish of warm water on my bare feet.

Called the office, moved furniture, rolled up my carpet which was still dry.

The office dispatched a maintenance man and he repaired the leak by removing the fins from the radiator tube and wrapping a piece of tape around it. The whole process reminded me of a Phil Swift commercial.

This afternoon I went in to see if the carpets were dry and the squish was more pronounced than ever. I called the after hours emergency line and found a tray to put under the leak. Approx. an ounce a minute or twelve gallons every twenty four hours was dripping from the pressure relief valve. The emergency response guy came and turned off the radiator until Monday.

The whole experience is a mild pain but it is so much easier for me than living in a house and having to deal with it on my own.

Renting is definitely the best choice for me.

Waiting for the window washer. He’s already late and has to deal with a few homes. Until that’s done we can‘t leave to do the other errands.
Before noon I called the homeowner co-ordinating this. They’d given up on him so I called in the afternoon. No, he didn’t have us on his list and said he wasn’t coming because he’d been treated in a rude manner. Anyway, two sides of a story and the windows won’t get done before the snow flies. It’s a first-world problem so I won’t lose any sleep. We can do the inside ourselves.

We went to Canadian Tire & I bought the Paderno immersion blender I’ve been coveting. My philosophy - if it’s not on sale, I’ll wait.

I give you credit....I couldn't make a biscuit if my life depended on it! From what I have been told, there is a "feel" for the dough...you either have it or you don't. I don't.

Extra points to you for helping out a co-worker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back