What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m taking a few days off from work to be able to do stuff in my hometown (2.5 hrs from Americus) that requires a week-day—banking, (overdue) eye exam/new glasses, brakes on car replaced, and yearly lab work. I am also going to take the opportunity to vote early. Catch up with a friend I haven’t seen in a while and generally enjoy not having to worry about answering the work phone! 😊

I went on my early walk this morning around 6:30,wore my NH white sweatshirt a tad nippy,58 with a breeze.I've noticed lately when its sunny,the sky isn't as clear/blue as has been.Its because of the smoke from the Calif fires making its way across the country.After coming back,watered the flowers/plants in our community garden
This morning 'road trip' with Mary,going to Walgreens.I need to pick up prescription for my dentist appt which is next Tues. I always like to have it on hand a week ahead of time.It never fails when I go into the store I come out with more items than I had on my list
No other plans today,probably a walk either mid morning or afternoon.After dinner, tackle NYT daily crossword puzzle

Today I want to get our pool closed up, should have done it weeks ago, then have to help my little, older brother get some more peastone levelled, as we are letting him put a trailer out on our property so they can escape the city life now and then... the trailer is supposed to be coming Saturday...

Today I want to get our pool closed up, should have done it weeks ago, then have to help my little, older brother get some more peastone levelled, as we are letting him put a trailer out on our property so they can escape the city life now and then... the trailer is supposed to be coming Saturday...
That'll be great for both of you, Mike. Win-win.

I slept about 10 hours today and that felt good. Cleaned up some things around the birdcage real good and now I have to vacuum all the feathers up. Took the dog out and cooked dinner.

I’m taking a few days off from work to be able to do stuff in my hometown (2.5 hrs from Americus) that requires a week-day—banking, (overdue) eye exam/new glasses, brakes on car replaced, and yearly lab work. I am also going to take the opportunity to vote early. Catch up with a friend I haven’t seen in a while and generally enjoy not having to worry about answering the work phone! 😊

Follow up to this from earlier... one main reason for this trip was to pay at least 1/2 if what was still owing on my house. To my astonishment, the balance was significantly less than I thought and I was able to pay the whole amount. Which means I. AM. DEBT-FREE! Yippy!🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️

I got my morning walk, did my chores, and in the afternoon had my Dentist glue my gold crown back on my tooth. From the time it came off until it was glued back on was 23 hours and I was not in any pain. My crown was not very large, but my tongue kept telling me that the missing part of my tooth was huge. Tongues are that way, they exaggerate everything (LOL).

Follow up to this from earlier... one main reason for this trip was to pay at least 1/2 if what was still owing on my house. To my astonishment, the balance was significantly less than I thought and I was able to pay the whole amount. Which means I. AM. DEBT-FREE! Yippy!🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️

Congratulations! I know the feeling from when we paid off our mortgage about 10 years early. When I was working full time, we often talked about things such as this, especially as we got older and began discussing retirement. Whenever I would talk about paying off the mortgage, others would say that was a dumb move because (at the time) you could make more money in the stock market.

A mortgage is the one debt load that, to me, is easy to justify because the alternative is to rent. While renting is probably a good plan for some folks, my point is simply that there is no alternative other than renting or buying. My wife and I have always chosen to live debt free, so we paid cash for our cars, use our credit cards as a convenience instead of a loan officer, etc.

To me, your home is the only thing that stands between you and homelessness, and it would be in one's best interests to insure, as quickly as possible, that it remains yours. Then, the "crash" of 2008 happened and I saw a number of people lose their homes because they bought into the idea of getting more house than they could afford with an ARM mortgage. My first question when a co-worker got one of those was "What will you do when the interests rates go up?". Even well educated people would insist that this would never happen. I never understand that line of thinking, but then, we still have our place and it is long paid off.

Also, the world looks very different when you no longer have a mortgage because financial hiccups such as a layoff are no longer as big an interrupter as they are when you are saddled with a mortgage. When you have less going out, you can save more to prepare for whatever may happen in the future. Unfortunately some folks can't see and understand that until they reach that point, so the incentive often isn't there because it isn't a reality yet.

The problem with renting in retirement is that rents can go up, and do so quickly. When 2008 rolled around, a lot of people lost their homes, and suddenly, apartments became premium due to supply and demand. Usually, when rents go up, they don't come down later unless something really bad happens to the neighborhood. Of course, property taxes can go up, as can the various expenses you incur in owning a home. For us, these things are brought to a reasonable level by living in a condo where the expense of home ownership such as garbage collection, grounds care, building repairs, etc., are spread across 72 units. Regardless, rent must cover these expenses too, so there is no getting away from that aspect of life, but not having a mortgage leaves more money at the end of the month to address these expenses.

So all in all, paying off your mortgage is a great move and in my own experience, a wise move generally as a part of preparing to retire so you have more control over your expenses in retirement.

Tony

Last edited:
Yesterday we bought a 2-burner propane grill and accessories. Our old one was shot and left it in Florida. Seems like steak and burgers taste better cooked on the grill than on the stove/in the broiler. This grill is only for warm weather, that we still have a few weeks left of. Then, it will be covered up and put in the garage. But, until then........grill cooking begins.

Have to read the instructions on how to use it. Also, have to keep sorting photos I've taken and put on USB's.

Got a load of laundry working and heading to the grocery store to replenish my fresh produce supply. Probably should do something productive after that but will probably put it off until tomorrow.

Hub is on a zoom conference call regarding the fire dept new building they're working on. Long conversation...lol.

Repotted a Gardenia plant that desperately needed it. Now going out to see if I can scare up a nice tasty grasshopper for Gertie, our garden spider. She's taken up residence all summer on a big back window right beside the door. Grasshoppers are her fav food!

We're going out for take out later this afternoon. Looking forward to watching a nice Amazon prime show during happy hour. Then, pedal
scooter riding after dinner.

Got up and watered part of the front yard, just the plants. Then did the same thing in the bkyard. Came in and logged onto the computer and here I am.
Not sure what I'll do next. Don't have much energy today. I should prob refill my bio-identical hormones to help me w/that.

Today is a busy day. I got up at three-thirty this morning to try and clean two muffin pans my roommate cooked bison
meatballs in and burned them. She tried to clean them and you couldn't tell she tried. They were a mess. I spent an
hour cleaning them, getting them to look like new, but with great effort. We're having guests this weekend and it is a
special occasional, because no one ever comes see us. I'm even picking up in and cleaning my office. Everything I
need and use in there is within arms reach so I don't have to get up to retreave something. It's handy but crowded
and quite messy. Few would underestand so I'm tidying up. Then I've been trying, along with my room mate, to decide
what we will have for lunch. We are not very active so everything we do is... a problem for us. Maybe we'll order in
pizza and I'll make iced tea and we'll have to decide on what to fill our sweet tooths with. Anyway the next two days
will be busy before the weekend when guests arrive.

Last edited:
Didn't have to work today so ran some errands, came back and did a 70 minute mini-trampoline workout....so fun,fun,fun.

Now it's catching up on some dvr shows, my dvr is 93% full.

Today I walked the dogs
Tidied up the hall closet and put up a cabinet in our laundry room. Then I brought 2 baskets full of stuff to put in the downstairs cupboard so our upstairs closet isn’t as full.
Went for another walk, then went to mall only to discover the store I wanted to go to was closed but that’s ok. It was a nice relaxing drive.

On my early walk around 6:30 to buy local paper&USAToday, tad nippy in the mid 50's was refreshing.I saw 2 people running,2 others walking side by side wearing no masks.
When I returned watered the plants/flowers in our community garden,walked up 3 flights of stairs to my apt
My friend Thora&I are going on our weekly'road trip' to local grocery store'Tops',I need a couple of items.I always try& buy just what I need,sometimes I succeed

This morning walking the dog was enjoyable - weather wise. A little cooler and breezy around here ... But the people I encountered on my walk were all in a hurry, and seemed in bad moods.
Glad I'm not out on the road driving somewhere!

Today is split and stack firewood, and cut up deer bones for the fur babies treats, and maybe see if I can maneuver the motor back into the motorcycle frame. (usually a 2 man job, but, we'll see).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back