What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderfully productive day here! My yard helper finally showed up. I found out that his absence was due to the fact that he is working 56 hours a week at his regular job. I don't know how younger folks do it, but then again, I guess I did much more when I was young. He got the waterfall rock garden all weeded, as well as the raised block bed, and pruned a bush willow that was about to block my side door. The great news: We got the waterfall and pond cleaned, reinstalled the pump, and it has a really nice sound from the three little falls! The other highlight of my day - I saw my first monarch butterfly feeding on the milkweed patch! After being so messed up by Covid-19 for over a month, I almost feel like my old self again!

This afternoon I'll be going to get some CAT scans of my spine, so my back surgeon can see what's causing temporary paralysis of my legs, and of my chest, to help me and the surgeon decide if another surgery is too risky or how I should be positioned during surgery to minimize risks.
update - Results of my CT scan say I'm totally good to go for surgery if I want it. Lungs are good, heart is fine, and the bloodwork is better than the last tests a couple months ago.

Finally! A day off, and it's not even going to be hot. Yippee. So far, Maggiecat's litter box has been cleaned, the bed has been made, I've showered and dressed, and my hair has been colored again.

DD and I need to go Walmarting. Garden needs attention. The Hovel needs to be vacuumed. And the bathroom is crying out for a thorough cleaning.

Nice cooler start to the day, 57deg. only to 80de later....
I had to clean up kitchen today cause those d****'ed little
kitchen faries didn't show up last nite...grrrrr...on top of the have extreme back pain today, dunno what brought that on, so took a pain pill, which, when it kicks in, will leave me sleepy, dopey...
ah well thats how it goes...it will get better, or maybe diefferent...don

Went up north to visit friends yesterday, and ended up helping drag out some 30" diameter logs, and cutting into 20' sections to be cut up for fire wood. Would have made some pretty nice lumber, but they were downed trees and he needed to get them out of the way. Today I'm trying to decide if it's time to make the 200mile round trip to Costco or not. On the way back, stopped to visit my friend Jeff, and my masseuse Nancy Jane. She was apparently down with covid again, and was curled up on the floor in blankets, in the corner of her tiny home. I stayed out side, but Li'l Bit went in and said high. Made sure she didn't need anything and headed home. Wouldn't it be nice to see the end of covid? I think it may be quite a while, if at all. Y'all have a great day.

Well, I never slept last night, was on here for quite a while... So 5 am came along, had a shower, drove Lorie up to the next main town to meet her sister so they could go into the city of Ottawa, visit with their Mother for her Birthday, and look at the offers she got on her home if any... Then Carl and I came back to Brockville, took a load to the dump, then back to Brockville to get an oil change on the truck. Then we went down to St. Lawerence and walked for about 45 minutes...

Now at home, want to find the fuse for the cruise on the truck, because going back up to the old neighbourhood... do some visiting, and then heading home, but do not like driving long distances without cruise control...

Today was astonishing weather wise... It rained like it was never going to stop.... the Annoying thing was that it had been forecast to be really sunny and dry, and then this morning they said there would be showers .. showers??..it was like god emptied the bath water of the millions who are up there with him. ..jeez!!

I went to the Miniature Village , it's 2 counties from me... . It was dry when I left , and I took a light jacket with me because it was warm, and I thought that if it was just going to be a few showers I wouldn't need anything else.
I was on the Motorway at a standstill of traffic when it started, and even with my wipers on the fastest speed, I could barely see the trucks at the side of me or cars in front.. and the spray back was horrible..

Fortunately just as I pulled into the Miniature Model Village the rain stopped... and altho' everything was damp, it stayed pretty dry albeit overcast for the hour I was there... then I drove back and pulled into the motorway services , and just as I got out of the car, the lashing rain came again, and people scattered and ran for shelter.. . I got a drink at the services, and drove back down the motorway in the rain... soo scary, just couldn't see the traffic for the rain and spray...

Typical that as soon as I got almost home and pulled into the supermarket car park the rain stopped, and the sun came out... I'll sort out the pics from the village, and add them to the photo forum later, for anyone who wants to see..
Miniature Model Village..
IMG-4380.jpg

IMG-4381.jpg

Today I am almost in shock.
Yesterday my cousin Charles in Connecticut was killed in car accident.
Today my sister in California called me to say that her hubby Bob, my brother in law had passed away. He was 79
No details ..she was too upset.
He had some problems but was at home, not enough to keep in in hospital but I know he had three emergency visits in the last month and sent home each time.:rolleyes:
I just wish I could fly out there but not possible for me at this stage of my life.
How can life be so cruel....:(

Today my sister in California called me to say that her hubby Bob, my brother in law had passed away. He was 79
He had some problems but was at home, not enough to keep in in hospital but I know he had three emergency visits in the last month and sent home each time.:rolleyes:
I just wish I could fly out there but not possible for me at this stage of my life.
So sorry for your losses, @Mizmo ! ((Gentle hugs))

@StarSong, you had a couple good book recommendations via your book club I think? I was in the library and could not locate your note with the titles. Could you tell me again? Thanks

@StarSong, you had a couple good book recommendations via your book club I think? I was in the library and could not locate your note with the titles. Could you tell me again? Thanks
You might mean this post:
"I recently joined a book club and have two of July's selections in transit from another library branch to mine (Peach Blossom Spring by Melissa Fu and Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain)."

I haven't read them yet, so can't recommend them. However, I recently read The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi and Defending Britta Stein by Ronald H. Balson and greatly enjoyed both. The Paris Library by Janet Skeslien Charles is also wonderful as is It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover.

Went up north to visit friends yesterday, and ended up helping drag out some 30" diameter logs, and cutting into 20' sections to be cut up for fire wood. Would have made some pretty nice lumber, but they were downed trees and he needed to get them out of the way. Today I'm trying to decide if it's time to make the 200mile round trip to Costco or not. On the way back, stopped to visit my friend Jeff, and my masseuse Nancy Jane. She was apparently down with covid again, and was curled up on the floor in blankets, in the corner of her tiny home. I stayed out side, but Li'l Bit went in and said high. Made sure she didn't need anything and headed home. Wouldn't it be nice to see the end of covid? I think it may be quite a while, if at all. Y'all have a great day.
So sorry about your friend with COVID. Very nice of you to check on her to see if she needed anything. I'm sure your little pup cheered her up. I, too, am debating a trip to Costco in the near future. It's 150 mile round trip for me.

I made it to Columbus, Ohio yesterday. I anticipated that trying to get out of Chicago would be harrowing, but a heavy rain made it all the more fun. I'd chosen Columbus so that I could arrive in daylight, but between leaving late, the rain and road-construction causing it to take an extra hour to get out of Chicago, plus a time zone change, I arrived after dark anyway.

Apparently some evil bug took over my phone because I'd put on the directions using the major highway that would route through Indianapolis and would have essential rest stops, but the phone guided me off onto a minor highway that was slower, had only one rest stop the whole route, and had actual traffic lights throughout the Indiana portion. Once I crossed the Ohio border the highway became more like a real highway (and that was where the longed-for rest stop was), but oddly although I could see lots of traffic going in the other direction out of Ohio, I was the only car going on the 'to Ohio' side of the highway. Felt surreal having a highway to myself.

My cat is adjusting really well. After we'd arrived to Chicago last month he spent a couple days hiding under the bed, but when we arrived here in Columbus he thoroughly scoped out our little suite (including annoying me by jumping up on everything and knocking over his [thankfully clean] kitty litter), checked out the view from the window for awhile, then wanted his dinner.

I failed again to arrive with the energy and organization to properly clean/sanitize the room before bringing in my stuff and strewing it all over, so today I had to move so much stuff back and forth to clean. But now the room is almost okay, the floor could use a second mopping (by hand, no room in car to travel with an actual mop) since so much dirt came off, but the carpet is hopeless and I'll just be walking back and forth from the carpet to the vinyl flooring anyway. There were half a dozen loose drawer/cabinet knobs and I was glad I brought a screw driver, I got them nicely tightened up.
Well done! Do you have an agenda for your time in Ohio or just taking it day by day?

Life is so fragile. My condolences on the passing of your cousin and brother-in-law.

just for future info, you can make a roux, equal parts butter and flour. Melt the butter in a little pan, add the flour, bring mixture to a bubble for 2 or 3 minutes stirring all the while, add to dish and stir to mix. That will thicken it.

good base for lots of gravies, sauces and soups
Thank you Blessed. It came out real tasty but could have been a little thicker. I’m still learning these different receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back