What Are Your Thoughts on the Supernatural and Magic?

Nor any kind of proof it doesn't exist.

That is the nice thing about life, we are all free to believe in whatever we want. But if you want me to believe in the supernatural, I would like to see some scientific evidence. Anecdotes don't do it for me.

You have two different things, magic and the supernatural. Magic , today, is tricks, and devices for entertainment. The other is the supernatural, which is non-physical occurrences. I have to agree with JimBob1952. It has been thousands of years learning about the universe, and no one has any kind of proof the supernatural exists.
DIsagree...first of all we have to "define" what supernatural is - don't think its just "non physical". Remember, a few hundred years ago, they thought the earth was flat and perhaps would have called anyone that didn't crazy". To me, supernatural is what we don't tend to understand, hence the word "super".

Nor any kind of proof it doesn't exist.

No, but you can't prove a negative. Even if you were to search the entire universe without finding any magic or paranormal anything, you still wouldn't have proved it doesn't exist. Maybe you just missed it. Maybe you didn't recognize it when you saw it.

A complete lack of evidence for something, as is the case here, is a very poor reason to believe in it.

Becky1951 said: "Nor any kind of proof it doesn't exist."

No, but you can't prove a negative. Even if you were to search the entire universe without finding any magic or paranormal anything, you still wouldn't have proved it doesn't exist. Maybe you just missed it. Maybe you didn't recognize it when you saw it.

A complete lack of evidence for something, as is the case here, is a very poor reason to believe in it.
That's what I would have said if I were smarter.

Only those who are not known and make little money. Rappers make millions. Symphony players hardly make a living. Rock stars make millions. There are so many truly talented people who are not recognized, or play in little clubs or community band/orchestras.
I recall, decades ago, that Eric Clapton was doing an interview with a reporter about his talent and stardom. Clapton made a comment (I don't recall exact quote) to the effect that he could walk by any number of clubs in Soho and find musicians that had far more talent than he had. He had more luck.
(I know, totally off subject from OP).

To answer, supernatural is all super nonsense to me.
Only those who are not known and make little money practice lots and have lots of creativity?
Sorry but that makes no sense to me.

Yes it’s true that if you plan on making a living being a musician or any artist , then you better be good af it. This is most certainly true BUT not everyone wishes to turn their passions into money. Some of us do it just for the sheer pleasure of doing it. We don’t need a monetary token of appreciation to reflect whether we are good enough. In fact, we don’t even need anyone else to hear us. We simply play for the joy of playing.

I'm your average "country boy". I believe in trees, grass, puppies, cows, horses, flowers, bears, owls & keeping away from city ways. I do not believe in the devil, poltest or whatever that is suppose to be, ghosts, witches, elfs, banshes, spacemen & fairies, etc. The reason is I ain't seen any of them in 73 years so I ain't holding my breath.

David Blaine is the single most astounding illusionist I have ever seen. It is even more incredible when he does his acts standing face-to-face with the bystanders. If you have never seen his work please google his name and I gurantee you will be scratching your head for a very long time.

My brain is wired to be logical and realistic; to only believe in things I can see, touch, feel and understand and know they are real and make sense. Magic and the supernatural do not fit into that picture.

However, I know that such things as autistic savants* do exist and are very real. And that proves to me that everything does not have to come with a believable explanation. Is that magic? I donno.

*Definition of autistic savant. : a person affected with autism who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field (such as mathematics or music) She is not just autistic but an autistic savant, meaning that she has unusual cognitive abilities, such as a photographic memory and excellent spatial skills.—

My brain is wired to be logical and realistic; to only believe in things I can see, touch, feel and understand and know they are real and make sense. Magic and the supernatural do not fit into that picture.

However, I know that such things as autistic savants* do exist and are very real. And that proves to me that everything does not have to come with a believable explanation. Is that magic? I donno.

*Definition of autistic savant. : a person affected with autism who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field (such as mathematics or music) She is not just autistic but an autistic savant, meaning that she has unusual cognitive abilities, such as a photographic memory and excellent spatial skills.—
Kodi Lee is a 22 year old, American, autistic, blind savant who won the 2019 America's Got Talent. A walking miracle!
Kodi Lee

Having read through all replies and consulted my own thoughts, I have concluded
I like the remarks made, on this thread, by SeaBreeze.

Think its most important that the individual have a personal experience of said "super" natural. Then it gets up close and personal for the recipient.

Until then, its probably just "watermelon talk" as we say in Texas...chewing and spitting out the seeds.

Back