What Assumptions about your country by outsiders irritate you?

I spent some time in France and the UK, a few years ago. One of the things, that amazed me was how the locals knew me and my ex were "Merkins". We'd walk in, not open our mouths; yet, they addressed us as being from the US. We weren't wearing flags or stuff like that. I don't know if we had on big signs ,which said, "AMERICAN TOURIST" or what. I guess in a strange way, this was an assumption on their part. I don't know what it was, but an awful lot of Europeans could pick up that we were Americans,, without us saying a word.

When folks think that the Hawaiian Islands float on the ocean when they are actually results of volcanoes deep down in the ocean floor up from the heated core of the planet and are attached to the earth from way down there.

Used to be (especially when my mom married my dad who was from Hawaii) that the ocean would over up the islands and that she would be living in grass huts.

I spent some time in France and the UK, a few years ago. One of the things, that amazed me was how the locals knew me and my ex were "Merkins". We'd walk in, not open our mouths; yet, they addressed us as being from the US. We weren't wearing flags or stuff like that. I don't know if we had on big signs ,which said, "AMERICAN TOURIST" or what. I guess in a strange way, this was an assumption on their part. I don't know what it was, but an awful lot of Europeans could pick up that we were Americans,, without us saying a word.
Maybe because you're wearing a visor cap, sunglasses hanging from your polo shirt, shorts and sandals with socks; wearing a camera and holding a Guidebook? Maybe your female companion is wearing a loose pullover, white shorts, sneakers and socks; also wearing a visor and sunglasses, carrying a huge straw handbag and a cardigan tied around her shoulders in case it gets chilly? 😜

Wales-yes we are not England.
We don't all start speaking Welsh when a stranger comes into the pub
And there's the stereotype about the Welsh and sheep. don't go there!

Back